Power failed, good test for River Rock lantern

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first post on CandlePower Forums.

I had read the discussions of the River Rock 4AA LED latern sold by Target with interest and a recent 10-hour power failure was the catalyst for buying one.

At about 4:30 PM last Thursday, a semi truck hit a power pole near my home, breaking it in half. That caused a power failure on my road. The AA Mini Maglites I had converted to LED (Nite Ize kit) last week came in handy, along with the Gerber Infinity Ultra worn on a shoelace lanyard around my neck.

A half hour later, the wife and I left our dark house to enjoy coffee and reading at a well lit bookstore. We called home several times using a cell phone to check if our answering machine responded, a sure sign that the power had been restored.

We were surprised that after a couple of hours, the power was still off. That persuaded us to walk to the adjacent Target store, buy a $20 River Rock 4AA LED latern, and bring it home.

Back at home, the first task was to open the lantern's tamper resistant plastic packaging in the dark. I used LED flashlights to see what I was doing while I employed a large desktop paper cutter to slice the edges off the packaging.

The next task was installing the batteries. Removing the bottom door to the battery compartment took so much torque that I thought I would break the lantern. After some huffing and puffing, the bottom section moved and I was able to unscrew it and insert the 4 AA alkaline cells.

I turned on the lantern and marveled at the slightly bluish-white light which streamed forth as I placed the lantern in the dark living room. The light was really too intense for a direct look.

The lantern provided a decent amount of light during the next 4 hours, though not enough to read while sitting across the room. I used the Infinity Ultra while solving a crossword puzzle, relaxing in a recliner. A battery operated scanner monitored the local police and fire frequencies, while I used a battery operated AM/FM radio to enjoy 1940s and 50s swing music broadcast from a distant Canadian radio station.

After about 2-1/2 hours, the lantern's light had decreased a bit, although it was still bright. I turned it off after a total of 4 hours so I could sleep.

The next day, I measured the alkaline battery voltage at about 1.384 volts/cell -- not too bad for 4 hours of light.

Recalling how difficult it was to unscrew the battery compartment lid, I bought a small container of Danco clear silicone grease in the plumbing department at Home Depot ($3.49 US) and applied it to the threads. The grease made the battery compartment much easier to open.

The River Rock lantern remains atop our fireplace mantle, awaiting the next power failure.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF parnass!
Sounds like you are well on your way with modded minimags, an Infinity and a LED lantern. The river rock lantern sounds like an excellent emergency light and you have proved it. Maybe frosting the lens could difuse some of the light making it less blinding and cleaning up the beam.
All your lights use AA I notice, nice to have a standard battery in emergencies. All my lights run AAA or AA that are in general use. Watch your wallet... there are some very expensive lights about.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fill that puppy with energizer rechargeables. I use mine daily as a room light/night light. It runs for 2 days (At night) before I recharge it when I wake up. Sure it gets dimmer but still lights just enough to see around. Also moves around easily having no cord. Toss them one time cells in the trash and buy cells that last 3 years not one day.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Glad to hear you tried out that River Rock lantern. I own one too, and find it great to sit on my nightstand to light my side of the room for a late night relief run.

It puts out quite a bit more light than a 4D cell Coleman battery lantern that I own.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF PARNASS!

Yes! That River Rock LED Lantern is a great little one! I use the two (2) nightly as primary lighting in my room. Great investment I would say!

Enjoy your stay!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Welcome aboard...it certainly sounds like you've started off with a very practical approach to "Flashaholism"!! Indeed the lights you've used will be "workhorses" for you!!

Sure it's really nice to expand the collection, but can I really say the "Gatlight" will be a practical light to my collection? It sure is pretty though - and will perform as well, thought I'd hate to ding that piece of art up!!

A number of practical "users" is what it's about for me!! Well that's what I keep trying to tell myself! I should lock my credit cards somewhere I can't find them!! :D

vic303

Enlightened
Parnass, try putting some transparent 'Invisible Tape' on the outer globe of the lantern. Just be sure to line up your ends with the metal bracing on the inside of the globe so as to create fewer lines in the output. Acts like frosting on a lightbulb, but is removeable.
-Vic

7k7k99

Newly Enlightened
parnass said:
The next task was installing the batteries. Removing the bottom door to the battery compartment took so much torque that I thought I would break the lantern. After some huffing and puffing, the bottom section moved and I was able to unscrew it and insert the 4 AA alkaline cells.

I agree with that for sure, I purchased 3 of the River Rock Lanterns this week for use in power failures and those battery covers about killed me getting them off -- but they are sure great lights for the money!!

Welcome to the forum from another newbie.

Last edited:

sotyakr

Enlightened
I've got friends who live in an area that's prone to power failures during the winter (near Mendocino on the North coast of CA) and this should be the perfect X-mas gift for them. They've gotten the gift of lights from me the last couple years, first a pair of Arc AAA's (they love 'em), and last year a couple Costco Lux lights. I see no reason to mess with tradition.

Donald

Newly Enlightened
The local Target after being flashlight depleted after Hurricane Wilma finally got in new stock. My wife had called to say she was in Target and I asked her to check. Yes! They now had the River Rock lantern. After enjoying our various flashlights/lanterns/and head lamps for about 5 days courtesy of Hurricane Wilma she was willing to buy one for me.

This post is ironic to me, as just before we got the light, we had another power failure for a few hours. I used a recently Nite Ize converted MiniMag lite too! :) ...as I wanted to try it (converted post Wilma thanks to http://www.countycomm.com/ my local Wal-Mart does not have them. Not sure what other lights I used perhaps a Arc AAA Premium and a Photon Freedom Microlight. I did use my Princeton Tec EOS once when I was working on something. I gave my wife an Energizer 4xAAA 2x as bright Nichia lantern and a Safe-Light (PaLight).

The bottom was tight on my lantern too. I don't recall if I needed it but for lids that are too tight I use a piece of drawer liner or rug antislip material. The freebie lid grippers always dry up and become useless. I have found something new though, that should last a long time, although they are a little stiff to be ideal. My local grocery store now has silicone pot holders/trivet/jar openers for $2.99 each.

Probably a good surface for laying flashlight parts on too. Does anyone know if silicone is static prone? I wouldn't think so, but don't know. I may have used on these on the battery compartment just to use it, since I do not remember straining too much, but recall it being very tight. Having a good grip significantly reduces the amount of hand strength needed.

I also put some silicone grease, obtained years ago at a dive shop, on the o-ring.

At the moment the light is sitting on my nightstand with Press'n Seal wrapped around it. Certainly reduces the glare, but I think does reduce the light output some.

I did not want to open the refrigerator as I did not know how long the power would be out, so we had to go out and eat at Shorty's Barbecue. :mecry: ..but I did my best to enjoy it! :whistle: :bumpit:

That reminds me, now that I have power, print a couple of Shorty's coupons!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX, CHC, Sigman, vic303, et. al., thanks for the warm welcome. I have a modest American pocket knife and multi-tool collection, so the CandlePower Forums are fascinating. I am trying to avoid being a flashlight collector and remain an interested flashlight user for now.

BentHeadTX, our family enjoys recumbent bicycling, as you do. My first LED lights were actually purchased for my 'bent. LED flashlights followed a year later. Good observation on my choice of batteries. I use common, inexpensive alkalines in most equipment.

Just bought the 2C, 1.5 watt River Rock flashlight from Target, probably manufactured by Nuwai. I stretched a piece of bicycle inner tube over the aluminum flashlight body to form an easy-grip surface. I walk on these country roads for excerise each night and a bare metal flashlight makes my hand cold.

NikolaTesla, thanks for recommending rechargeable batteries. I worshipped at the Church of the Rechargeable for several years to power my radio gear, etc., but have since switched back to using alkaline cells due to their simplicity. I had become a slave to my chargers :)

I have been buying larger quanities of alkaline AA cells for about 20 cents apiece when on sale. I would use rechargeables for powering daily use items, as you use your latern.

vic303, et. al., thanks for the suggestions to smooth out the River Rock lantern's striated beam. I told my wife, "don't stare at the lantern with your remaining eye." :)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan said:
What scanner(s) do ya have???

-PSM

I used to have about 100 scanners, but have "thinned the herd" down to an ICOM IC-R5 and IC-R8500, Yaesu VR-500, PRO-92, PRO-2067 (3), BC9000XLT (2), and a few old crystal models for nostalgia reasons.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
parnass said:
I used to have about 100 scanners, but have "thinned the herd" down to an ICOM IC-R5 and IC-R8500, Yaesu VR-500, PRO-92, PRO-2067 (3), BC9000XLT (2), and a few old crystal models for nostalgia reasons.

Dude!!!!