the best headlamp for jogging?

niterunner

Newly Enlightened
I need a headlamp for running at night. I'm most interested in low weight, waterproof, and secure fit. I've done some research and the Princeton Tec Aurora looks good, but I'm concerned that with just a single strap it'll flop down over my eyes.

Any suggestions/advice?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RR 2xAAA half watt headlamp at Target is very light, has a strap which also goes over the top of the head, and puts out quite a bit of light on high. Hard to beat for $15. Do a search under "Target" and see what others have to say.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I haven't done a lot of night jogging but I do know unless you are either running on a hard surface or have a nice even ground to run on irregularities are hard to see without a fairly bright light. If you are running in near pitch dark a 5mm LED based one may suffice fun but if you need more light you may consider a luxeon based headlamp with a top strap. I am unsure how bright the RR headlamp is, I am guessing it is probably half way between most 5mm LED based headlamps and the 1watt luxeon ones.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Try a PT Matrix 2. Unless you have eyes like a cat, a smaller handheld works better. Headlamp puts the light in the same plane as your eyes. You can therefore not easily see differences in the running surface. Small handheld, and you can maintain almost daylight type pace - unless terrain is very bad. Headlamp only also requires you to maintain head position very carefully - get to be a pain in the neck!

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I run barefoot and I have enjoyed the small amount (so far) of running I've done at night. I've done it without lights, actually. But I will try it with a light. Maybe a PT Aurora...something very small, unobtrusive and not very bright, but enough to provide some extra light on things.

reverse biased

Newly Enlightened
I have a Princeton Tec Corona that I use for running a lot. I am not sure how the Corona on the 3 led setting compares to the Aurora's 3 leds, but I find that it is adequate for even surfaces. It doesn't seem like quite enough on trails though and I usually use the 8 led setting. I think the battery pack on the back is good because the light up front doesn't jostle around and it stays pointed at the correct angle. The AA batteries worried me before I tested it out, but I have never thought that they too heavy. I wouldn't hesitate to get one like the Apex with 4 AA batteries, but it is hard to take the plunge on that one because I couldn't really tell if the spill is enough with the 3 watt bulb at the store. I would be interested if anyone had an opinion on this. I seem to like the wide flood of the Corona.

UltraRunner

Newly Enlightened
I do quite a lot of night running (Ultrarunning) and the headlamp I use is the Myo XP. I love it. For night trail running I flip down the diffuser and can see about 150 feet with the spotlight. For night roads flip the diffuser up and run in a wash of soft light. The Myo has a top strap to hold it on and it is very comfortable.

I use rechargable AA's and can get hours and hours of light out of a charge.

GSB