Please!!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Please...when refering to a particular flashlight, use the complete name of the light! "Sure Fire A2" means more to the novice flashaholic than does "A2". Some one want to tell me what a "TL-3", "X5T", "TID", "KL5","L1", "L2", "M6", or "L1-P" is? :thinking:

Last edited:

*Bryan*

Enlightened
I think they are talking about a Streamlight TL-3.
Just my novice idea. I could always be wrong though.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Sorry Roy, I will try to do better, it is confusing at times. I always know what I meant however I do fail to understand what others mean at times.
Topper

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, this is probably a good idea... I've been around here for quite a while and interested in lights for quite a bit longer still and I don't remember reading the TID acronym until that thread the other day though at least the poster did say what it stood for.

jtice

Flashaholic
"TL-3" Streamlight
"X5T" Inova
"TID" hmmm, the pointy things you can attach to bezels?
"KL5" Surefire
"L1" Surefire
"L2" Surefire
"M6" ahhhhh heres a tricky one,, is it a Surefire M6, or a Pelican M6 :thinking:
"L1-P" Fenix

Yea, it can get confusing , especially for a newnie not used to all this.
~John

Geologist

Enlightened
Good idea!

Funny though - I had the same issue with "TID" - what does it stand for anyway?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
"TID" hmmm, the pointy things you can attach to bezels?

Naw - it's one of those pointy things you can attach a tassle to, but they only come in pairs :devil:

TorchMan

Enlightened
M6 is the most tricky of all the ones I've seen, or that is to say has the most variables. SureFire M6. Pelican M6 Lithium. Pelican M6 LED, and I think even a Pelican M6 LED HAIII!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Insight (sold under Streamlight as well) make an M-6 and an M6X
So yeah, it can be really confusing with so many companies using the same or similar model numbers.

My personal opinion is that since SureFire was first, M6 is SureFire M6.
Round here, the Pelican M6 is often called the "PM6" which I think works well.

I agree that the manufacturer (or more detailed description) should be used where possible at least to begin with so that the everybody knows which flashlight is being referred to.

Al

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Maybe make a Sticky post as well containing the definitions of the (aphabetized) acronyms so that anyone can instantly look it up instead of having to search thread by thread if they are looking for a specific one.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchMan said:
M6 is the most tricky of all the ones I've seen, or that is to say has the most variables. SureFire M6. Pelican M6 Lithium. Pelican M6 LED, and I think even a Pelican M6 LED HAIII!
now all we need is a Surefire M6 led :popcorn:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy said: "...Please...when refering to a particular flashlight, use the complete name of the light! "Sure Fire A2" means more to the novice flashaholic than does "A2"...."

Minimal references is a common practice on many forums, not just flashlights. E.g, a Honda Goldwing GL1800 motorcycle is often referred to on motorcycle forums as a GL18 or just GL.

It's similar for cars, airplanes, boats, guns, knives, etc. Just about any discussion group does this.

I agree it's good to keep in mind novices, but novices on virtually any discussion group will encounter a similar situation, regardless of the subject.

Most flashlights discussed can be identified by simply searching the Flashlightreviews.com "all lights by manufacturer" page: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_by_mfgrs.htm

It's more problematic when minimal references describe a rare or custom light for which there's little information beyond CPF.

Context is also a factor. If a novice asks advice, it's good to completely name the light. However if hardened flashaholics are debating the exact slope of the A2 "soft start" curve, they'll tend to minimally name the light, as is typical when experienced people discuss advanced topics among themselves.

But I agree it's good to keep in mind novices and fully name the light at least once in the thread.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a thought since search still isn't up to snuff. How about a list in the Wiki that has a link at the top of every page? That way it's always available rather than putting a sticky someplace. Might even make a link to the Mfg's page for that light too.

-LT

Last edited:

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Lunal_Tic said:
Here's a thought since search still isn't up to snuff. How about a list in the Wiki that has a link at the top of every page? That way it's always available rather than putting a sticky someplace. Might even make a link to the Mfg's page for that light too.

-LT

I second that!!! I was thinking of that in the first place, but decided against mentioning that to spare the webmaster. Though, now that I see that suggestion posted here, I think it would be a great addition to the site.

My sticky suggestion was a good one, but now I realize that for newbie's to the site, they would have to remember which catagory it was placed in and with trying to learn all the jargon they may loose thier way to that page. (at least I know I would).