How hard is a ARC LSH-P to take the front apart to see the emmiter/star's bin?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to know if it can take a Li ion, and read here somewhere, I would need to know the bin code. VDG

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't see the bin anyway. I've taken a few apart, and they only used bare emitters - and I don't think bare emitters are labeled. Of course, its glued and soldered onto the board, too. Perhaps you can actually measure the Vf and decide if LiIon is OK, or just replace with a known Vf and tint.

Disassembly ease varies greatly; some Arc-LSs have a lot of loctite on the retaining ring and the ring has to be ground out and replaced. Some rings are a breeze to get out. Then, disassembly is pretty easy, but recentering for reassembly is a chore.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc LSH won't take a Li-ion. You'll end up direct driving the luxeon, and it will most likely fry. The circuit only boosts up. It won't buck down.

As Louie points out, the LSH doesn't have a star. It used a bare emitter, and there is no bin code printed on it.

It's not easy to take them apart. There's usually a fair amount of loc-tite holding it together, and it's difficult to apply the leverage where you need it. If you're still determined to try, some people have found that application of cold or heat (or both) will sometimes loosen up the loc-tite.

The LSH is a really nice little light, and not one that can be easily replaced. I'd recommend you enjoy it the way it is, and not risk destroying it by trying to take it apart.

Warleader

Newly Enlightened
Ahhhhhhh!! Don't mess up your nice working ARC LSH-P !!! There are plenty of ARC LS parts available - see "cy" on this forum, he might be able to help you out with what you're looking for.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warleader said:
Ahhhhhhh!! Don't mess up your nice working ARC LSH-P !!! There are plenty of ARC LS parts available - see "cy" on this forum, he might be able to help you out with what you're looking for.

Best advice of all! Heck what was i thinkin? I got a HDS B-60! It's just that I got Li ion's in everything i use, except 1xAAA ARC/Peaks. (even my soli mods run li ion, and soon my Peak pocket "N" will have nimhs)

thanks for the reality check Fella's. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
THE_dAY said:
here is the arc ls serial # data. some serial #'s have emitter bins. i hope that helps.

4/4/2003 LSHP 255 ODET Q4K anyone have any thought's on this? good, bad ? ok? (not so much for use with an li ion but just in general) VDG

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
q4k was good for back then.. not too imressive with today's standards. i would replace it with maybe a t-bin with h or j Vf. you will get a whiter and brighter beam with longer runtime with just replacing the LED.