Best Single AA light under $30?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for the best LED light that runs on a single AA cell.

Cost is a factor and it must be under $30 and better still under $20

Any recomendations? and why?

paulr

Flashaholic
There's basically only one option readily available and that's the Gerber Infinity Ultra which is $15 at Countycomm right now. If you hang out on BST you can probably find an Ultra-G (older and nicer version) for around $25. However if you can spend a little over $40, you can get a Fenix, currently one of the favorite lights on CPF.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks,

i've got a couple of the County Comm Ultra -G's

I was looking to assemble a box of 5-10 loaner lights for work. (Lights that while they are for loan, in a power outage situation, I realize I might not get them back.)

Single 5mm led is enough, powered by a single AA cell. I'll go back to County Comm and see what they have.

In the past a co-worker and I have given away the County Comm $1 keychain LED lights, I was looking something a little bit better. Although maybe I should buy another bag anyway.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you just want cheap 1aa lights for power failures, don't worry about LED's. You can get crappy 1AA incandescents for a buck or so, or decent ones for three or four bucks. If you require LED, maybe look at some of the cheap Chinese-made 3AA led lights from Emilion or Shenzen. Since they have no dc/dc converters they are simple and cheap. Finally, there's nice 2AA incandescents for $3-4 at any drugstore.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Dorcy 1AA 3LED? These are really quite decent lights. Would be very good in a dark building situation. More light than any of the squeezies or the new Infinity Ultra.

About $10 at Wally World and other places. Dorcy 1AA

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:
How about the Dorcy 1AA 3LED? These are really quite decent lights. Would be very good in a dark building situation. More light than any of the squeezies or the new Infinity Ultra.

If it has a runtime greater than 4-5 hours, that's what I'm looking for. Thank you.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dorcy is a nice light for the price and decent output and runtime.

Another option if you live anywhere near a ****'s Sporting Goods and don't mind putting a little work into them... They have a 3 pack of MiniMag clones that come with tail clickies. Come with batteries and everything. If you drill out the reflectors to 5mm and put in some 26k LEDs, they won't be driven to full brightness, but they are still quite respectable. I haven't tried 35ks yet, but if they have the same Vf, they should be a tad brighter still.

The LEDs can be had for $1 each (maybe less for the 26ks if you can find them) and the lights are $8 for a pack of three. So you could put nine of them together for about $35. And you will get much more than 5 hours runtime.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nuwai TM-313X and TM-317X are good half watt 1AA lights. Deals on them are available here. You can get two TM313's for about $20 US plus shipping. It's not on the specials list (although other combos are), but I bet you could talk the management into shipping you one of each at a comparable price, or two 317's for maybe $22 plus shipping.

They put out about as much light as the other half watt LED lights. My 317 on high is a little brighter than the 313 although YMMV. If you don't mind the size, the 317 is a very versatile light.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Double_A said:
If it has a runtime greater than 4-5 hours, that's what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Yes, it absolutely will. 50% or greater output for about 6 hours. Declining but usable light for another 6. Should be quite suitable for your intended purpose.

You probably won't get them back! I have given a number of these away. People like them and I hope they keep them handy for emergencies.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I just received a TM313 and a TM317 and they are quite impressive for the combo price. And like NE, my 317 on high is brighter than my 313, though I prefer the form factor of the 313. Of course, if runtime is an issue, the 317's low ability might come in handy.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You may also look into a few of the xnova 8 or 12 LED lights as they are cheap and a few of them will allow you to perhaps go for a few lights over your $30 mark.

altoon

Newly Enlightened
12-led 1-AA Blue Ghost II. 6 hours regulated, 8 hours total. Brighter than Dorcy 1-AA, cheaper, equal or better quality. According to flashlightreview.com, "This is a good quality light with good output and great runtime."
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/amart_ghost2.htm

I have three, and used these during an overnight power failure. I hung them from the kitchen cabinet knobs to light the countertop for food prep and cleanup; I wouldn't even think of trying that with my unmodded Dorcys.

Here are the dealers that carry them:
http://store.advancedmart.com/ghiial12ulbr.html
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/blue-ghost-p-210.html
http://emilionworkshop.com:3072/osc...d=197&osCsid=aea84ff3aecd78fceb43824a29623430
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/multi-led_flashlights.php]lighthound

Last edited:

Hans

Enlightened
Lynx_Arc said:
You may also look into a few of the xnova 8 or 12 LED lights as they are cheap and a few of them will allow you to perhaps go for a few lights over your $30 mark.

I'd also go for the Xnova 8 LED. I got a handful of them, and they make almost perfect loaner lights.

Hans

altoon

Newly Enlightened
Dae has the Ghost II for $5.19 ea. shipped if you buy more than five. I think that's the best price, although I haven't really checked.

The problem with the 8-led xnova is that Double_A is looking for a 4-5 hour runtime or greater. The 8-led xnova is 2 hours to 50%, plus 45 minutes.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/sz_8led_1aa.htm

I don't own the 8-led xnova, but I think it would make a great loaner light or a battery drainer. I bought my Ghost II's as battery drainers and it takes forever for them to get through old batts. lol And FWIW, my old Dorcys are sitting my desk drawer to loan out to co-workers in an emergency.

pizzaman

Enlightened
Why not 2 AAs?

Pick up a Maglite mini-mag (less than $10)

Go to Wally World and pick up a Nite-Ize drop-in 3 LED bulb ($5).

Including the price of batteries and sales tax, you are out the door under $20. You have a flashlight with a functional amount of light (much brighter and more useable than my beloved Gerber Ultra), a smooth beam that is good for reading or working on equipment close up, as well as a nice spill for lighting up your path.

As a bonus it provides at least 11+ hrs to 50% brightness without a battery change. I run lithiums in mine, so the runtime should be even better and I can let them sit waiting to be used for a decade or more. Battery station has AA lithiums for around $1 each. You can pay more than this for an alkaline AA at many stores.

For a basic set up, a quick trip to wally world for mini-mag, nite-ize, and some batts and you are on your way.

Unless size is a major problem you might give this solution some consideration.

Good luck, TR

PS: IMHO, single AA or AAA incandescents are horrid little jokes.

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:

I haven't been able to find these anywere. I can only find the 1AAA single LED version. Has anyone else found some?