3 watt Luxeon LED replacement for Maglite 3 D&C available

sw0rdf1sh

Newly Enlightened
Just find this right now :devil:

TerraLUX MaxStar3 Luxeon LED Kit For Maglite 3 Cell C&D Flashlights
The TerraLUX® MaxStar3™ TLE-DB3 LED upgrade kit for MagLite® C & D 3 cell flashlights is the brightest, sharpest focusing LED replacement kit available today! Intense, bright light comes from a single 3 watt Luxeon LED that produces 80 to 100 Lumens of light output—more than twice the light output of a standard bulb!

* Uses a single Luxeon III, 3 watt LED for 80 to 100 lumens of light output - the brightest anywhere!
* Maintains focusability. The MaxStar3 preserves one of the most outstanding features of the MagLite Instruments line of flashlights—the ability to focus. The MaxStar3 produces a sharp, focused beam that rivals incandescent bulbs.
* Up to 15 hours of battery life with 3 D cell batteries. Long Battery Life results from the higher efficiency of the LED compared to the standard bulb. (Note that this product does not contain the TerraLUX LED Light Engine. It gradually dims as the battery is drained.)
* Simply screws into the existing bulb socket. Upgrading does not require any tools or modifications.
* Fits 3 cell MagLite C & D flashlights only (4.5VDC)
* Outputs a pure white light beam.
* Virtually indestructible.
$49.95 ea (USD)
Source

I think it will be even better than INOVA T3 for the same price :)
Does anyone own this? :naughty: If you do, post some beamshots please.

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
3C Mag = About 20
TerraLUX Max Star3 = 50

Whats the cheapest flashlight to get 100 limens?

Also is this regulated?

sw0rdf1sh

Newly Enlightened
You will have to pay more money for the batteries for Inova T3. Inova works about 2 hours while this Maglite will work about 14...

Wyeast

Enlightened
hogx1 said:
3C Mag = About 20
TerraLUX Max Star3 = 50

Whats the cheapest flashlight to get 100 limens?

Also is this regulated?
"(Note that this product does not contain the TerraLUX LED Light Engine. It gradually dims as the battery is drained.)"

(from first post)

So I'm guessing no. No regulation. :(

ledled

Newly Enlightened
M@g should have better throw then the xo3 due to a large reflector. However xo3 should handles heat better than the M@g.
Maybe just me. I gave up the M@g drop-in idea as 2 of my 1W drop-in becoming very dim after continuously turned on. I would rather wait for the 3W version of Dorcy 3D to come out

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The drop ins get dim after being on for a while due to the heat buildign up and having no where to go.

Get an LEDBEAM for $30. It's like a 3C mag, with a luxeon on a fixed well made heatsink that won't dim. Already made and ready to rock!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
sw0rdf1sh said:
You will have to pay more money for the batteries for Inova T3. Inova works about 2 hours while this Maglite will work about 14...
14 hours of horrible diminishing brigthness. While the T3 has flawless regulation for a steady 2:30 hours, not to mention the quality: HA-III, Steel ring, waterproof, AR coated lens, compact size and clickie tailcap. It's amazing how some people underrated Inovas here, while braguing about some outdated mammoth sized mags, just because they got a mod.

Seriously, why spend 50 bucks on a not-so-great mod (no regulation, poor heat dissipation, expensive), but not on a state of the art light such as the T3??

Last edited:

rabbit

Newly Enlightened
I have both T3 and the TerraLUX Max Star3 on my MAG 3D. T3 has bigger hot spot but not as throw as the TerraLUX Max Star3 when focused but the TerraLUX Max Star3 is a hugh improvement for the MAG 3D.

techwannabe

Newly Enlightened
Rock it does my LEDBEAM. It's now on sale for $24.95 and free shipping to U.S.!!!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
As already stated the problem with a $50 Mag LED upgrade is you can buy TWO LEDBeams for that price: http://www.ledbeam.com/

Alternatively you can guy an Elektrolumens Blaster-3P for the same price:
http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster-3P/BL-3P.html The Blaster is focusable like the Mag.

In either case you have a high quality, brand new LED flashlight (in the case of LEDBeam, two flashlights), not an upgraded one.

However the MaxStar may have superior running time. The MaxStar2 Flashlightreviews tested had a 20 HOUR run time to 50% in a 3D Mag.

OTOH the MaxStar2 output was nowhere near 80-100 lumens. It was about 35 lumens.

Don't know about the MaxStar3.