I'm formatting a 4.7GB floppy right now

Navck

Enlightened
Belive it or not, didn't choose quick format tho. So this is taking a while.

:crackup:(Aka DVD RAM):crackup: Highlight that if you like to know the format.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
Belive it or not, didn't choose quick format tho. So this is taking a while.

:crackup:(Aka DVD RAM):crackup: Highlight that if you like to know the format.

I wouldn't consider DVD RAM to be under the literal category of "floppy"...it acts like a floppy in use, but there is nothing physically floppy about it (unless you spin them at high speeds, ala Mythbusters...)

JM-99

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your 4.7GB number gave it away.. :) I guessed it would be some form of packet-writing-capable media, which it is.

Flash based devices tend to be round numbers of GB.

Enjoy your format. ;)

Navck

Enlightened
Well I just found out something.
Its incrediblly slow at writing huge files.
That and if I just did quickformat, it would of taken less than a second:ohgeez:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
offroadcmpr said:
What happened in that one? I must have missed it.

They were testing the myth of the CD shattering in the CD drive and spun them )on a dremel or something) at insane RPMs until they shattered. :D

BTW, I personally know someone that has seen a CD shatter with shards flying out of the drive (and embedding into the wall) before, so...Mythbusters may call it "busted", but my friend would say it is CONFIRMED! (Defective drive, obviously...this was at a computer camp and he said the only reason the kid didn't get hit was that he just put the CD in and started installing something and went to get a snack...)

JM-99

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jumpmaster said:
They were testing the myth of the CD shattering in the CD drive and spun them )on a dremel or something) at insane RPMs until they shattered. :D

Mythbusters did it on a Router (the woodworking kind). They also ran the router on 240volts instead of 120 to make it spin over 30,000 RPMs

Mythbusters however wern't the only people who did it; This guy had even more fun spinning CDs on a Dremel and flicking them off so they would fly across the room and shatter when the hit the wall. http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm