HDS EDC vs Fenix vs Son of Raw vs ??

Ned-L

Enlightened
I am trying to decide on an EDC. Of course I want it all and don't want to go broke to pay for it. Considering best brightness, burn time, $$, carry size, and cool factor, how do the following lights compare: HDS EDCs, Fenix (any model), Orb-Son of RAW, or some other.

Thanks

M.TEX

Enlightened
Well Im on the same boat but with a little twist...
I want them all ! ! !
But will be nice to know more about !
The Orb are very NICE and the HDS looks like a good light as wel...:naughty:

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
For the money, the Fenix L1P really is a fantastic deal. It's a bright light, runs on a single AA which are easy to find, pretty durable, white, weather resistant, decent runtime. It's a real solid performer. The Raw's are tiny and damn bright for the size. They don't like water though. IMHO, they are a great light to take when you're dressed up going to a party, wedding, etc..great conversation piece and still very usable. The HDS's are extremely versatile. They have a couple brightness levels which allow them to run for 20min on max to 8+ hours on min. They are waterproof, superb HA3, tough lights. Plus, the HDS can use Li-Ion (as can some of the Raw's). All that goodness comes at a price though.

Depending on primary your needs, I would suggest going with the L1P and then getting an Orb or HDS later if you want more great lights to play with and use.

Personally, I carry my B42GT daily. I'd definitely carry the L1P if I didn't already have an HDS. :)

- Chris

Last edited:

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I have all these nice flashlights :

1) ORb Raw : very tiny, the smallest one and very bright..CR2. $40.00 now ?
2) Fenix L1P...really bright for his price, AA, the shippest one ?
$38.00 in Group buy
3) HDS Ultimate 60GT.... The Rolls....but 5 time the price of the other one.

I use my Fenix when I have a risk to break it. I just play with my raw because it eat too much power quickly..and finally I use my HDS all evenings

paulr

Flashaholic
The HDS is several times more expensive than the others put together. So if you are seriously thinking of buying the HDS, you may as well use the CPF approach and buy them all!

Ned-L

Enlightened
Thanks for your input. Take a look at the son of a RAW thread. It is suppose to be somewhat water resistant (O rings) and even smaller than the RAW!

Gimpy00Wang said:
For the money, the Fenix L1P really is a fantastic deal. It's a bright light, runs on a single AA which are easy to find, pretty durable, white, weather resistant, decent runtime. It's a real solid performer. The Raw's are tiny and damn bright for the size. They don't like water though. IMHO, they are a great light to take when you're dressed up going to a party, wedding, etc..great conversation piece and still very usable. The HDS's are extremely versatile. They have a couple brightness levels which allow them to run for 20min on max to 8+ hours on min. They are waterproof, superb HA3, tough lights. Plus, the HDS can use Li-Ion (as can some of the Raw's). All that goodness comes at a price though.

Depending on primary your needs, I would suggest going with the L1P and then getting an Orb or HDS later if you want more great lights to play with and use.

Personally, I carry my B42GT daily. I'd definitely carry the L1P if I didn't already have an HDS. :)

- Chris

Ned-L

Enlightened
Thanks for your input. Are you happy with the output of the HDS B42GT? The 42 is almost affordable. I am considering the 42 extended run time. Of course with a 60 and 80 or is it 85, I don't want to get the 42 and find myself wishing that I had a more powerful light!

Gimpy00Wang said:

- Chris

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I throw in a recommendation for the Fenix over the other 2. Besides the fact that it is much cheaper, it actually offers some unique advantages:

Tougher finish than Raw (bare AL gets banged up very fast), with a longer runtime and clicky switch.

Thinner and lighter than the HDS- I find it less noticable in the pocket, and the bit of extra length makes it more comfortable to use.

Uses an easy to find battery- not to be overlooked.

If the Fenix doesn't cut it for you (which I doubt would happen), it would make an excellent "gift" light for you to pass on if you wanted to upgrade to something more expensive that uses atypical batteries or rechargable set ups.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
Ned-L said:
Thanks for your input. Are you happy with the output of the HDS B42GT? The 42 is almost affordable. I am considering the 42 extended run time. Of course with a 60 and 80 or is it 85, I don't want to get the 42 and find myself wishing that I had a more powerful light!

Yes, the B42GT is bright enough for my uses. My B42GT (on max) and L1P are close in brightness, but the L1P will last much longer on that setting. Of course, the B42GT can be set to primary (10lum) and lasts 8hrs. As others have suggested, you might be best off getting the L1P and going from there. If it's a toss-up between the two, the price is really very difficult to beat for the L1P.

Don't get me wrong...I love my HDS's, but the price for the L1P kills. :D

- Chris

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
Personally I don't think the RAW lights are in the same class of the other lights. The RAW is very tiny- probably smaller than you imagine if you've never seen one before- about the size of the end of your thumb.....They are extremely bright, and have a short run-time.

The wow factor is amazing on these lights, and I carry one in a tiny victorinox case on my keyring- but they really aren't a good edc light that is used regularly because of the short life.

Also, because of the tiny size, they aren't that convenient to hold with normal/large hands. If you are going to be using the light regularly, a larger and longer running light may fit your needs better.

That being said- I love my RAW light and will likely buy another one. You just have to realize its limitations and be willing to live with them. Mine makes a perfect backup to my SF 6P that sits on my duty belt at work. I tend to use the RAW alot because I know I'm not burning batteries when I use it (CR2 rechargables).

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I think you are really looking at a couple of different classes of lights here. The Fenix seems like a really great light but it really isnt fair to compare it to the HDS line. There was a thread last week comparing the HDS with things that are more in line with its features and price such as the McLux PD and the Lion Cub. You could also include some of the Alephs and some lego'ed together Surefires in there such as the TW4, especially if you put a two stage tailswitch on it. But those are going to all go over $150, several well over $200.

Other ones to consider with the Fenix are some of the Peak LED systems models and the Nuwai QIII which is a fantastic, small light at about $29. I still think the QIII is the best value on the market. I bought two of them, one for my wife and one for me, and still have it in my backpack as a backup even though I have bought several lights since then.

Kris

Newly Enlightened
My choice is the HDS EDC, it's a great light. McLuxIII-PD would also be high on my list.

Last edited:

Kris

Newly Enlightened
My choice would be the HDS EDC, but I think paulr has the best solution.

paulr said:
The HDS is several times more expensive than the others put together. So if you are seriously thinking of buying the HDS, you may as well use the CPF approach and buy them all!

wallyrulz

Enlightened
Another vote for the QIII. Get a nano charger with 2 r123's and you have guilt free lumens in a tough little package. My wife chose the Q-III over the Lionheart because of its simplicity. Not to mention it is a modder's dream.

Fenix is only a 1 watter, and you will be wanting more. Of course readily available batt's are a plus. You could get a fenix AND Q-III AND orb and not come close to the cheapest HDS.

HDS are obviously quality lights. Built tough, meant to be a user. But pressing the end for programing drives me absolutely CRAZY! If you can get past that, you would be very happy with it (until you scratched it the first time that is).

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ned-L said: "...I am trying to decide on an EDC....HDS EDCs, Fenix (any model), Orb-Son of RAW, or some other..."

The Fenix is likely the best bang for the buck. The HDS is the best overall, but I find it a little big for comfortable pocket carry.

Son of Raw is tiny, will have 2-stage switch so it's not just a 15-minute pocket rocket. About 7 hrs runtime on low. Not regulated. O-ring sealed, supposedly water resistent but maybe not submergable. $97

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93610
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93891

The Fire~Fly3 is significantly smaller than the HDS, and will have three level programmable output. Designed mainly for rechargeable CR123, non-rechargable primary cell will work in degraded mode. It will also be available in a 64mm long pocket body version. $130:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90822

However the best subcompact EDC might be the upcoming CR2 ION. About 60 lumens, about 1.5 hr on high and 22 hr (!!) on low. Even on low, output should roughly equal an Arc AAA-P, about 7 lumens. HAIII, O-rings, incredibly small, fully regulated. Primary CR2 only, not rechargeable. Somewhat pricey at $145:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=95844&highlight=cr2+ion
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88907&highlight=cr2+ion

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
joema said:
Ned-L said: "...I am trying to decide on an EDC....HDS EDCs, Fenix (any model), Orb-Son of RAW, or some other..."

The Fire~Fly3 is significantly smaller than the HDS, and will have three level programmable output. Designed mainly for rechargeable CR123, non-rechargable primary cell will work in degraded mode. It will also be available in a 64mm long pocket body version. $130:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90822

I can't wait to get my FF3. I cought the end of the pre-sale. One thing to mention with the FF3 is you can gete the adaptor to run sammies which means you can run a NG500 (or whatever floats yours) with a CR123 primary with good output.

- Chris

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ned-L said:
I am trying to decide on an EDC. Of course I want it all and don't want to go broke to pay for it.

Thanks

Ned-L: You have stumbled upon the dilemma of this addiction. I started out like you as well. The lights you mentioned are quite different as others have indicated. This was my approach...Get the Fenix first. The quality and price of this light is the hook. You WILL want more after this one. It was just enough to pique my interest. I then bought the RAW. It is not cheap (close to $100 US). I recommend the two-stage to maintain practicality for an EDC (otherwise, runtime is only about 15 minutes).

Then when you want more, go for the HDS. I currently "EDC" this light (U60GTXR). I use it to examine patients and for everything else in between. Yesterday, for example, while searching for a friend's house, I used the light to "light up" the whole side of a house to see the house number - while sitting in the left rear passenger seat of my brother in law's car! Honestly though, the many functions of the ultimate are not vital. After playing with them for a week or so, I have not used them since. I have kept all the factory settings as well.

You will get great advice here from forum members. But I for one, until I have experienced the light for myself, cannot truly envision what having one means. All the advice is helpful for deciding the order of lights to acquire, ie which one next. I am presently asking myself that question and am deciding between the McLux PD III, Arc Mania SF III, FF3, CR2 Ion...

So many lights, so little money :mecry:

Ned-L

Enlightened
Thanks for the good information. Do you think that the HDS is a little big to carry every day in your front pants pocket? How does the size of the HDS compare with the McLux PD III? Maybe the more interesting question is how does the HDS compare with the McLux PD III - size, output, cost, burn time, etc.? I still have my name on the list for a Son of RAW. At a little less that $100 with very bright high, long running low, rechargeable batteries, and the cool factor - I can't resist. As another aside - I routinely use my Inova X5 as a nighttime running light. Do you think that the Son of RAW, HDS or McLux PD III would make good running lights (I run after dark, 5 to 10 miles on residential streets with streetlights but not lighting all areas of my run).

liteboy said:
Ned-L: You have stumbled upon the dilemma of this addiction. I started out like you as well. The lights you mentioned are quite different as others have indicated. This was my approach...Get the Fenix first. The quality and price of this light is the hook. You WILL want more after this one. It was just enough to pique my interest. I then bought the RAW. It is not cheap (close to $100 US). I recommend the two-stage to maintain practicality for an EDC (otherwise, runtime is only about 15 minutes).

Then when you want more, go for the HDS. I currently "EDC" this light (U60GTXR). I use it to examine patients and for everything else in between. Yesterday, for example, while searching for a friend's house, I used the light to "light up" the whole side of a house to see the house number - while sitting in the left rear passenger seat of my brother in law's car! Honestly though, the many functions of the ultimate are not vital. After playing with them for a week or so, I have not used them since. I have kept all the factory settings as well.

You will get great advice here from forum members. But I for one, until I have experienced the light for myself, cannot truly envision what having one means. All the advice is helpful for deciding the order of lights to acquire, ie which one next. I am presently asking myself that question and am deciding between the McLux PD III, Arc Mania SF III, FF3, CR2 Ion...

So many lights, so little money :mecry:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared to the fenix, I also find the HDS bulky and not terribly convenient or comfortable for mouth use. I used the darkness locate feature but very little else. It's nice to be able to configure the light levels. I'd go with the b42 since if you are new to this the difference in brightness even with the 85 won't be mind blowing. These are nice lights but I was never all that impressed with mine.

I haven't any experience with the the Orb lights but I love McGizmo's reflectors.

Q3 is excellent! Especially with li-ion 123's and flupic could be added for multiple levels. Also a very utilitarian reflector.

Cr2 Ion is likely the best beam profile for running , nice flood.

I've no experience with Mclux PD but I love the McR-xx reflectors they are excellent and if you use pocketclips I've heard that the PD has the best going and its titanium.

Whatever you do , resist the temptation to equate a higher price with a better light, while there is some degree of 'get-what-you-pay-for-ism" at work, it certainly isn't a linear correlation .

Ned-L

Enlightened
I see you made the exclusive early order 50 list for the Cr2 Ion! That looks like a very nice EDC light. Do you know what are the main differences between the Cr2 Ion and the RAW or Son of Raw? Thanks

xochi said:
Compared to the fenix, I also find the HDS bulky and not terribly convenient or comfortable for mouth use. I used the darkness locate feature but very little else. It's nice to be able to configure the light levels. I'd go with the b42 since if you are new to this the difference in brightness even with the 85 won't be mind blowing. These are nice lights but I was never all that impressed with mine.

I haven't any experience with the the Orb lights but I love McGizmo's reflectors.

Q3 is excellent! Especially with li-ion 123's and flupic could be added for multiple levels. Also a very utilitarian reflector.

Cr2 Ion is likely the best beam profile for running , nice flood.

I've no experience with Mclux PD but I love the McR-xx reflectors they are excellent and if you use pocketclips I've heard that the PD has the best going and its titanium.

Whatever you do , resist the temptation to equate a higher price with a better light, while there is some degree of 'get-what-you-pay-for-ism" at work, it certainly isn't a linear correlation .