Lionheart isn't turning on

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
When I put in a battery reading 3.54V, the light doesn't turn on at all.

When I put in a newly charged battery reading 4.07V, the light strobes at a low setting. Pushing the button does nothing.

What could it be?

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet is to go to flashlight-forums.com and send Mr. Bulk a PM. He would be the best person to ask what is wrong with it.

Doug

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello FNinjaP90,

There have been reports that on some LionHearts if you screw the battery holder down tight, the O ring friction causes the circuit board to rotate slightly, jamming the button. This seems to cause the light to behave as if the button is pushed all the time.

I think if you insert a battery with the button pushed, you get the same strobing effect.

The solution is to carefully rotate the circuit board back to its original position with the button centered in the hole. If this becomes a chronic problem, the circuit board can be glued in place. I believe some people have tried a different O ring. I just tighten the battery tube down so it is water tight and take care not to over tighten it.

Tom

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
FNinjaP90,

Before you move the board you should first check to see if this is the problem. You will want to gently remove the rubber boot with a tiny screwdriver or something similar and eye ball it. I found it's easiest to use a second flashlight to shine on the switch to see if it's touching the side of the housing. There is a ring of bare al that makes this easier. If it is touching then the switch might be stuck on the side and you should do what Tom said.

I had 4 Lionhearts with the problems you report and none of them had a switch off center in the housing. I sent them to MR Bulk and he told me he replaced the boards. I never learned from him what the problem was since he told me he didn't test the boards and only set them aside. I found it hard to believe the boards were failing at this rate and in fact one time I had to send a light right back a second time. I later learned this was likely all due to ground path problems. Others may be more helpful if this is the case.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ground path sounds like the most likely.

Two things I've seen on the LH/LC are:

a) board getting rotated and jamming the switch. Nothing holds the board in place from rotating in the design. A dab of glue etc would have been a good idea during initial assembly etc.

b) ground path problem. The LH/LC relies on threads to carry the ground connection and also a spring pin to ground the driver to the head. So, two ground path connections points come into play - a possible thread dirty problem or the spring pin can become intermittent due to dissimilar metals making contact.

The driver has a 4A rated FET - it is very UNLIKELY that the driver will fail in the LH/LC.

george.

Darell

Flashaholic
georges80 said:
it is very UNLIKELY that the driver will fail in the LH/LC.
I can vouch for that! You wouldn't believe what I've done to some of these circuits. Don't try this at home, but WOW, they can survive some pretty high temps too! :devil:

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I have already spoken to Ninja and we are in the midst of taking care of it.

Thanks George. :thumbsup: