Anyone shop here?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Is anyone familiar with this site? (Shomer-Tec). Cheaper than Brightguy, smaller inventory but seems reputable.
web page

Gman

Enlightened
I've used them, not for torches but many other items. Never had a problem but it's been a few years since my last order.

Gman

Enlightened
Pazhalusta! (Ya govoryu porusskie)
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Gman,

Is it possible that you're even further out than the Ford Galaxy?

Regards,
Brightnorm

Gman

Enlightened
lol...KT, ya never cease to surprise me.

Da, it's Russian. Worse, it's transliterated
Russian, using the latin alphabet. I don't even think Cyrillic will show up here.
Let me try: Прйвет КТ! (Hi KT!)

Hey, whatda ya know, it works. (Maybe it won't show when I send it though.)

I spend much time in Russia and Ukraine, and my wife is Ukrainian so I have studied it for some time. It's not an easy lanquage, it makes me crazy sometimes!

Btw, the post was "you're welcome". The same word is also used for "please". Like I said, it's a crazy lanquage.
tongue.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gman:
lol...KT, ya never cease to surprise me.

Russian, using the latin alphabet. I don't even think Cyrillic will show up here.

tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Gman,

I stand embarassed, chastened and corrected!

Best regards,
Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gman:
lol...
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gman,

MOY FONAR YARCHE TVOYEVO

Best Regards
Brightnorm

Gman

Enlightened
Не плохо Брайтнорм, Вы говорите по-русски очень хорошо! (Not bad Brightnorm, you speak Russian very well!)

How's that? Your light is brighter than cottage cheese?
blush.gif
(I'm kidding, you got it right.)

И я надеюсь что это продолжается, горят яркий в течение Нового Года и намного больше после! С новым годом!

(And I hope that it continues to burn as brightly in the New Year and far beyond that! Happy New Year!
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Gman,

I cannot tell a lie; I don't speak a word of Russian, but after my embarassment at not recognising your earlier response as Russian I felt I had to redeem myself and consulted a Russian-speaking friend of mine.

Americans in general have been rather isolated from the fact that there are other languages in the world besides English!

All the best in the coming year

Brightnorm

Gman

Enlightened
Я думаю, что Вы слишком трудны на вас непосредственно. (I think you are being too hard on yourself.)

No need to be embarressed because you didn't recognize a transliterated lanquage.

A lanquage that uses a different alphabet than Latin, then converted to Latin, is hardly recognizable. It's often called "dog" lanquage and would confuse anyone who doesn't use it. In this case it's neither English *or* Russian so you can hardly blame yourself for that. :)

A good example is "no" is Russian. While
most people recongnize the transliterated word "nyet", thats a rare case. Russians don't write "nyet", in Russian/Cyrillic it's "Het". (Their "H" is pronounced like our "N") Btw, the Russian word for "but" is spelled "no" in Cyrillic.

That, and the fact that nouns in Russian have gender, will make you crazy.
Men and women use different words for the same things. Cars are feminine, toilets are masculine, gasoline is feminine, arrgh! Who decided all that is a mystery to me.

When you next see your Russian friend, say to him "preeviet!" (Привет!)(Hello!)(as in "previet"-nam). When you say goodbye, use
"puckuh" like in hockey puck, with an "uh" on the end. You now speak Russian!

In fact, you speak Russian everyday. Many English words are Russian. Russian for "car" is "machine". (For "work", the Russian word sounds like "robot"!) For "gasoline", it's "benzine". Most of the new "techno" words are the same, when you say "floppy disk" or almost any computer word, you're speaking Russian also. (Or they're speaking English.
smile.gif

See? You already know these words. It's a very rich lanquage compared to English, especialy when it comes to cursing! Unlike English, Russian is very phonectic, so it's easy once you learn the alphabet. The way you read it is the way you say it, English is a far cry from that. (Russian grammer will quickly drive you to drink, however.)

The "nyet" example aside, had I used Cyrillic letters you would have easily recognized it as Russian, as I'm sure you did in the last post.

Oops, sorry for rambling, way more than wanted to know I bet. To keep it on topic, I often give Surefire E2s as gifts to friends in Russia. They are simply amazed because Russian torches leave something to be desired. (I need to bring some back next time I go, just for grins.)

123s are very expensive in Russia but they are so enamored with the E2 they seldom use it, only bringing it out on on special occasions to show their friends. Maybe torch folks know no borders, because the E2 (and Leatherman tools) are considered treasured items from "Америка"
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

ochen interesniy forum. ya govoru po ruski nemnogo. s novim godom, druzia

p.s. s rojdestwom hristovim !!!

moy M4 yarky kak solnce
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

It has been way too long since I checked in on the forum! I can't even read the posts anymore.
wink.gif

But seriously... I took Russian as an after school thing way back in 6th grade. I can only remember a few things phonetically.

Greeting - "sdras-wits-yu"
Goodbye - "Das-ve-don-ya"
Thanks (or is it please) - "pla-ce-bo" ??
Michael loosley translated into "Meesha"
Can anyone translate these for me? I'm sure I butchered them pretty badly.
wink.gif

I didn't follow up with it because they didn't teach it at Junior High or High school. I should have done it on my own...

Gman

Enlightened
lol...Hey Alex, that's pretty good! Good transliteration! I'm impressed that you wrote many "o"s instead of "a"s, thats a sign you understand the lanquage better than you remember.
"Nyet, nemnogo...ochen xorosho!"
shocked.gif

Gadget: Many ways to say hello. Depends if
you know the person or not. Russians have a different vocabulary for people close to them. Here are your words phoneticly (not transliterated) and in Russian.

Greetings: (formal) zdrahst-voo-y-tyeh
Здравствуйте
(How do you do?)

Goodbye: (formal) duh-sv-dahn-yah
До свидания

Goodbye: (informal) pah-kah
Пока
(Until next time)

Thank you: spah-see-buh
Спасиьо

Please (used for "your welcome" also):
pah-zhah-loo-stah
Пожалуйста

There, now you too can woo beautiful russian girls.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It's good to speak an old language. I bet you we really confused many people. Where did you learn po russki.