New here, and need a tips on which torch to buy!

bebe

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody - I'm new here

And I guess what I ask about has been discussed before, but as a newbie I feel I can ask this :) - once

I have a SureFire 6P (an older model with the same rubber-ring as the M3) the problem is that I think its eating too much battery, so I need something that can be recharged - home and in my car (where it will be having it's primary address)

I was thinking of LED, but after the years I have got some sort of reputation "Flashlight? - that's him" so I can't have a lamp that does'nt really beam. If there was a combo - it would be great - but as you folks know - nothing really good comes in combo - so the LED has to come as an seperate lamp :)

so - the question:

Which one? and I dont know which one can be recharged.

SureFire 8NX435 Comander
(nice spec - but looks dull (a bit plain))

or

SureFire 9AN Commander
(perfect spek - but I donno if it looks dull (a bit plain))

or

SureFire M2/M3 Combatlight
(looks really neat - but the M2 looks to me like the same spek as the one I have)

please help me - I can't decide

Last edited:

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you have set your heart on a Surefire rechargeable then either of the two you mention would be great! Don't know what you mean by ''dull'' but aesthetically they are IMHO no better or worse than any other light?

OBTW you are right about the M2 having the same spec as your 6P. The functional difference is in its rugged build and its ability to be fired from a weapon without destroying the bulb. The M3 is just superlative but a a cost of 3 C123's per hour of use instead of 2 with the 6P or M2.

If your use is heavy I'd go for a rechargeable every time and keep the 6P as a backup!

Doug

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you are looking at a dual, bulb / led look at the Surefire A2.

you won't lose the finger points and whipering of "there goes that flashlight guy" lol

awsome little light with close up use with the Led and distance with the bulb.

doug

bebe

Newly Enlightened
Is there any nice shop on the net you would recommend? the one we have in Norway has a bit small product range - and at the moment there is a nice currency rate :)

Kris

Newly Enlightened
Hi bebe, welcome to CPF.

Of the flashlights that you have on your list I would take the Surefire M3 over all of them, I use two M3s every night, they are a very rugged flashlight (it's my favorite flashlight). You can also use Pila rechargeable batteries in the Surefire M3. The Pila 150S is the correct batteries to use for the M3, you will need 2 150S batteries and you may need a Pila spring that is provided free with you battery order (just tell them you have a M3 and ask for a Pila spring).

Here is a link for the best place to buy Pila batteries (the owner Jon, is a member of CPF and very trusted).

http://www.jsburlys.com/?id=products

https://www.jsburlys.com/shop/

If you want a light that is both a led light and a regulated incandescent light, just as doug said I would go for the Surefire A2 it's a really nice light.

Here is a link to the Surefire A2:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/900/sesent/00

If you want to turn your 6P into a rechargeable you can use the Surefire rechargeable conversion kit:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/0/prrfnbr/213

The M2 does have the same specs as your 6P, it uses the same lamp assemblies, the only difference is the Type III hard anodized finish, the combat grip and rubber grip ring, the M2 is also shock isolated.

When you said you had the same rubber ring as the M3, you may have the Surefire Z2.

Timson

Enlightened
You could also buy a P90 lamp assembly for your 6P and some rechargeable 123's (say 4.... 2 in use and 2 charging)

That way youve increased your lumen output from 65 to 105 and you've got guilt free run time....Plus you can easily swap parts back if necessary.

Tim

bebe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks - YES - thanks for make me aware of that I took a closer look and it says 6Z around the push-button on the back. That's is the model I have!

:) - but I'm still happy about it hehe

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
bebe said:
If there was a combo - it would be great - but as you folks know - nothing really good comes in combo - so the LED has to come as an seperate lamp :)

Pila lights are the most decent incan/LED combo lights that are rechargeable out of the box. You can get them at jsburlys.com

I love my GL3R, very powerful beam; the GL2 will be slightly smaller.

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys on the same note you said you could use rechargible pilas in m3 and if im correct the m3 is same battery as 9p. So could you use rechargables pilas in 9p? thx

bebe

Newly Enlightened
it's cooked down now...

9AN Commander or a U2

darn ... this is really NOT easy - can I get rechargeables for the U2?

And on top of this I get kinda confused about all of this coupons and good deals

B

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire U2 can use both Pila 168A, Pila 168S, 18650 and 17670 (I recommend getting the protected versions).
18650 should give you longest runtime and is cheaper than Pila 168A, but I don't know if you can get car charger for them. Pila has a version of their charger that can be used in a car.

Sigbjoern

cy

Flashaholic
welcom to cpf, surprised no one has mention a 3watt luxeon drop-in for your surefire 6P

aprox. $35

bebe

Newly Enlightened
oh my...

all theese options is too much for me - I see all theese nice flashlights in here, and I understand that most of them are modificated.

I have sent a PM to grandpaJack for a SF U2 - if that goes the right way - I will end up with a U2 i think - I will need some Pila batteries (thanks Lurveleven) with that info.

if not - I'm thinking about the 9AN Com

as someone else said in here - "I keep changing my mind all the time"

bebe

Newly Enlightened
Got my SF U2 now... and I'm more than happy - really bright and sharp light, and I compared it with my 6Z with P61 inserted and because of the whiter light in the U2 it looks brighter and stronger. even its 80 against 120 lumens

but - I'm shining

Thanks Oldgrandpajack .-)

Børre

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey BeBe! Looks like you're an official member of the SF.U2 club!—Keep shining away!