Anything better than e2e for small throw light?

cyclight

Newly Enlightened
Well the title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for a throw light to take backpacking but I don't want anything larger than an e2e. Is there anything that will out throw the Surefire but is the same size or smaller?
Thanks.

sidespill

Enlightened
An e2e is about as small as they get as far as incandescents go.
Other options might be:

e2e bezel on a vital gear 2x123 body (slightly shorter and skinnier) e2e bezels with the mno3 lamp assy are easily available through the BST forums as swapping the incan head of an e2e to LED is quite popular.

streamligt tl2

I'm sure others will chime in on other options

I have owned a few incandescents in the 2x123 form factor and the e2e remains my favorite.

Oh by the way, Welcome to CPF

cognitivefun

Enlightened
you might consider a SureFire A2. The LEDs give you hours and hours of light perfect for reading or camp work, while you get about 50 minutes of beautiful regulated incandescent output. Not as small as the E2E of course but not a big light by any means.

CLHC

Flashaholic
The SureFire E2e is a very well built lighting tool in its own right in the 2*SF123. Already posted elsewhere in this forum for throw would be the StreamLight TL-3 but it's longer than the E2e. Don't know about StreamLight's TL-2.

Welcome to CPF—Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had a Mclux PR-T head it will throw farther, and the light will be identical in size, except maybe .5 inchs longer on the head, and slightly wider.

I dont know if this matters to you but that light is LED. In fact a surefire KL1 might out-throw the stock head. Anybody got both?

Hardball

Newly Enlightened
For backpacking you may want to look at the Streamlight TL2. The Surefire light has the on/off tailcap clicky which is nice, but more of a weapon light thing. Not all that important when digging for the lost bag of trailmix.

Comparing the SF e2e and the Streamlight TL2 on the flashlightreview site and the the Streamlight TL2 is rated much higher in throw with a slightly less marked advantage in total output.

The TL2 is a little bigger both in diameter and length, but you can carry a spare bulb in the light and it costs about ½ what you would pay for the Surefire.

IMO, SureFire lights designs and builds lights with an amazing degree of care, and they charge you for it.

lexina

Enlightened
Have you considered the Vital Gear F2? It is about the same size as an E2e but it can take the P60/P61 as well as the 3W BOG drop-in designed for the 6P.

Last edited:

spock

Enlightened
i have a sf e2e with mno3 bulb. also have two kl1 heads(gen1 and gen4)that are led powered. the latest kl1(gen4) out throws my e2e with mno3 bulb, but sidespill is not good as covered in cpf. it has a long runtime of 3 hours high and 3 hours useful(dimmer). like it so well, i have ordered one for my wifes e2e.

makar

Enlightened
e2e is a great light - fine quality and a good beam.

I have an a2 with me for backpacking. I find it very useful to have also a low light with me. Don't worry about the advertised 50 lumen from sf - it's definately more.

Kris

Newly Enlightened
I agree with cognitivefun and makar, the Surefire A2 is a great light for camping.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hardball said:
For backpacking you may want to look at the Streamlight TL2. The Surefire light has the on/off tailcap clicky which is nice, but more of a weapon light thing. Not all that important when digging for the lost bag of trailmix.

SInce when does the E2e come standard with a clickie?

for camping and hiking, a E2e with MN02 has about the throw of a MN03, smaller hotspot, but 2.5 hour runtime, it's one of my main back up lights.

Nick

makar

Enlightened
270winchester said:
for camping and hiking, a E2e with MN02 has about the throw of a MN03, smaller hotspot, but 2.5 hour runtime, it's one of my main back up lights.

@cyclight: for your info: the mn02 lamp assembly fits in the e2e which comes standard with the mn03. Differences:
mn02: 25lumen @ 2,5 hours
mn03: 60 lumen @ 75 minutes

The mn02 comes standrad in the E2O Outdoorsman.

Here's a link to the a2.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
A2 Aviator? A regulated beam and a larger reflector do make a visible difference. My A2 has a tighter beam than my E2e, because of its 1.13" bezel, while not being very much bigger.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
The E2E is a great light but the A2 has two huge advantages in my opinion. First as mentioned is the regulation. Second is the ability to use the low power LEDs which will suffice for many tasks. This greatly extends the battery life.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
McGizmo's Aleph system is fully compatible to the SF E-Series and you can use an Aleph head on your E2 body for extended throw.
The candidate would be the Aleph1 head with a DownBoy or Wiz2 driver set at approx. 1000mA running a LuxIII. The head looks like this:

Aleph1Series.jpg

... and is slightly wider than the E2e head. This combo will outthrow the E2e, but don't expect a breathtaking difference. A big improvement is the fully regulated runtime of roughly 90min though ... and the luminous flux is roughly in the same league, too.

SF E2D:
realte2d.jpg

Aleph1 T-bin at 917mA:
relux327.jpg

And outside:

SF E2D:
OutdoorE2D.jpg

Aleph1 1000mA T-bin LuxIII:
OutdoorAleph11000mATW0K.jpg

If you really want throw in an E-Series light you can get the Aleph3 head looking like this:

Aleph3NAT.jpg

... which is a bnit on the large side but destroys both of the above mentioned :devil:

bernie

EDIT: and you can replace your SF tailcap with an Aleph tailcap housing the McE2S module that transforms your light into a 2-stage light with a low-mode.

beakman

Newly Enlightened
What about the Underwater Kinetics 2L, with the 4Watt Xenon lamp from the UK 4AA Rechargeable installed instead of the normal 2Watt Xenon lamp. The UK 2L is just slightly shorter than the e2e, and the plastic body should stand up to the abuse of backpacking and probably be lighter than the e2e. flashlightreviews.com gives a throw/output rating of 58.02/3800 for the UK 4Watt lamp, and the e2e has a throw/output rating of 36.41/4000. So the UK should have about the same total output as the e2e, but with longer throw.

Plus with the UK 2L, you can get the eLED module, which has a long regulated runtime, and swap it out with the 4Watt lamp when you don't need as bright a light. And you can fit the eLED module and a spare 4Watt lamp into a standard plastic film canister to bring along.

Just my 2 cents.

the beakman

Schuey2002

Enlightened
>>"If you really want throw in an E-Series light you can get the Aleph3 head looking like this:"

Just how far will the Aleph3 (as you have shown above) throw its hotspot? Do you have any idea, Bernhard?