Best bright light for jeans front pocket carry?

zimm

Newly Enlightened
I read the forums for a couple hours today. Still looking for a very bright LED light with a clip that is comfortable to carry in the front pocket of my jeans. From what I've read, I want one of the 60 lumen models. Lithium 123's are okay, I won't use it much, but will carry it all the time if it's comfortable. I'd like to spend around $50, but will go up to $100 if need be. Looked like the Fenix was the winner, but no clip so it would ride in the bottom of my pocket. I want to clip it to my pocket like a folding knife.

Please give me some models that would work well. Pictures and links would be a bonus.

Geode

Enlightened
You pose a good question. A light powered by a 123 cell is going to be a bit "chubby". My suggestion would be a Nuwai Q3 for about $40 shipped (or less).

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Geode said:
You pose a good question. A light powered by a 123 cell is going to be a bit "chubby". My suggestion would be a Nuwai Q3 for about $40 shipped (or less).

except the clip on the Q3 is very poor. I don't think it actually works for me :(

InfidelCastro

Banned
I have the same problem. I wanted the Fenix, but it doesn't have a pocket clip, so no go. Right now I'm just using a River Rock 2AAA LED light from Target and I have a Surefire G2 in my coat pocket when it's cold enough to wear one and a Rayovac 2D in the car.

The only Surefires that I can tell have decent pocketclips are the L2, Outdoorsman and Centurian C3. I wanted to buy a Surefire L2, but heard about the low hum when using it in low mode so I decided against it. They may be coming out with brighter LED's soon anyways, so it is hard for me to justify dropping that much on one now.

I used to have a Surefire E2E which I really liked, but the pocketclip design is so poor, I lost it 3 times. Fortunately I found it all 3 times. Ended up selling it.

sr45

Newly Enlightened
I'm partial to a KL4 on an FB1 body. The clip of the Vital Gear body keeps the unit low in the pocket. Comfortable without trying to look like Tom Jones.

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
I carry I Surefire A2 clipped inside (light in the pocket, clip facing out) my front right pocket. I carry it almost every day (sometimes I rush out and forget it, thats why I have a Arc AAA-P on order for my keys, I will never be without light as long as I have my keys :) ). As long as you have it pushed back (towards your butt) it rests nicely and is practically cupped by the jeans. The only time I notice it is when I lay down on my right side :p

Im not sure how well this would work with a smaller 1cell light, as I would worry that it might accidently slip off while sitting down. ( I will let you know next week when I get a SF E1L to recycle my half dead bats from the A2 in)

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend, I can recommend this one...
IMG_3540s.jpg

IMG_3542s.jpg

IMG_3544s.jpg

IMG_3545s.jpg

IMG_3546s.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-3W-Luxeon-LED-Flashlight-RECHARGEABLE-CR123-Boxset_W0QQitemZ5196654693QQcategoryZ16037QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
Changchung, he wants a clip, I can't see a clip there. Does it have one and is just hidden or can you only carry it in pocket or with that belt case.

zimmerDN

Newly Enlightened
I've read that Mini-Mag clip would work on the Fenix and the Geber Infinity Ultra clip will also work. I am getting a Fenix soon with a mini-mag clip and I'll let you know how it works out once I get them. I had the same dilema as you but in the end I still chose the Fenix.

pizzaman

Enlightened
The Fenix L1P is now hands down the most comfortable and powerful light that I use for front pocket carry.

I lubed up my Gerber Infinity and slipped off its clip. I put the clip on the Fenix and it works great. I decided I wanted the Fenix to ride even with the top of my pocket for more stealth and more security against accidental loss. I grabbed my dremel tool with cut-off wheel and removed the "ears" from the clip. I put on the sanding drum to finish it off. The clip now fits closer to the end on the Fenix, allowing the light to dissapear in my pocket, yet allow easy access when needed. The black clip on the black Fenix looks too cool.

I feed it with a lithium battery and the weight of this setup is negligible.

I haven't tried the mini-mag clip on the Fenix. The only one I have is silver and would just look tacky on the sexy Fenix.

The smaller lights I have carried just can't keep up with the Fenix for brightness and/or whiteness. I have packed a SF A2 and a Cyclops flashlight in the front pocket, but the comfort and low profile just aren't there. Too bulky, too long, and sit too high out of the pocket.

The Fenix with a modified clip is an awesome combo. Aside from a keychain light, this is the first flashlight that goes everywhere with me. It's not too heavy to clip to sweatpants pockets either. (don't want a big torch draggin' your britches down).

Good luck, TR

InfidelCastro

Banned
zimmerDN said:
I've read that Mini-Mag clip would work on the Fenix and the Geber Infinity Ultra clip will also work. I am getting a Fenix soon with a mini-mag clip and I'll let you know how it works out once I get them. I had the same dilema as you but in the end I still chose the Fenix.

Great, please let us know how it works when you get it. I have a mini-mag clip myself.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Try a SL TL2. For jeans, you need a longer clip with more spacing because of the heavier material. I've been EDC'ng a TL2 that way for awhile now.

InfidelCastro

Banned
You're right. Just looking at my Maglite clip, it's even shorter than the clip on the Surefire E2E, which I hated.

By the way, what's the difference between the Streamlight Gen 1 and Gen 2 TL2?

Last edited:

zimm

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the relies. I ordered the Nuwai QIII from ebay for $38 shipped. I'll let ya'll know how it works. If it doesn't carry well, I won't feet bad that I spent too much money, and I'm sure it'll make a great glovebox light for my truck.

freeamerica1

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the Q-III for this since right after it was released for sale. Overall - it is "ok". I haven't found a better light that 1. fits reasonably in a front jean pocket 2. has a clip to be worn like a folding knife 3. has anywhere near the level of light ... for anywhere near the cost. The HDS looks like an improvement, but there is no way I'm dropping >$150 for a light. Sorry.

Changes I would love to see someone make to the Q-III to make it 'better':
1. move the clip closer to the end so the light rides deeper in a pocket
2. slightly longer/stronger clip
3. RECESSED tactical-type clickie switch with momentary
4. better light regulation - I hate that the Q-III goes like hell, but dies with NO warning.
5. cost no more than $50

Most of these are met with the HDS lights, except the cost, and the HDS is WAY too complicated for my purposes. Please give me momentary/on/off in that package.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, freeamerica1!

freeamerica1 said:
...but there is no way I'm dropping >$150 for a light. Sorry.

We all start that way, we understand the denial phase you're in. It'll get better (or worse :naughty:).

Welcome again, and have around here!

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
zimm said:
Thanks for the relies. I ordered the Nuwai QIII from ebay for $38 shipped. I'll let ya'll know how it works. If it doesn't carry well, I won't feet bad that I spent too much money, and I'm sure it'll make a great glovebox light for my truck.

Have you tried amondotech.com? They have the Nuwai QIII for $29. Depending upon where you live, the total shipped price may be just a few more.

litho123

Enlightened
I avoid carrying lights in my pockets where keys-n-coins can scratch the finish. I will either keep them in a hidden pocket in my pleated Docker Mobile pants and/or clip the lights directly to my belt.

I clip either my Surefire C2-BK w/ 5wBOG module or E2o right to my belt (bezel up) right between my cell phone and Leatherman.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I carried a knife in that location for a short time. I just find that it was in the way more than anything else.

I carry a Minim*g with a Lambda LUXIII on my belt, and am quite happy with it!