Got an AAA Premium off Ebay...question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Maybe I'm paranoid. But I want to verify that the head is the premium version and not the regular version. Is there anyway of telling besides using something light a light meter?

The body does have ARC-P on it.

Thanks,
Dave

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux reading might be the best way.

I measured my new version Arc AAA-P at 48 LUX and I don't know if I bothered to measure the regular new version because it was too low.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. Let me try this. I have a Dorcy AAA from Wal Mart. How does the premium ARC compare to the Dorcy in terms of brightness.

Also, when I look into LED I see a yellow something or other. Do both the premium and regular LED have that yellow deal?

Mahalo,
DF

Mahalo,
DF

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super Dave said:
Thank you. Let me try this. I have a Dorcy AAA from Wal Mart. How does the premium ARC compare to the Dorcy in terms of brightness.

Also, when I look into LED I see a yellow something or other. Do both the premium and regular LED have that yellow deal?

Mahalo,
DF

Mahalo,
DF
Aloha Duper Dave :)

Perfect question for me to help you with since I just modded two of those Dorcy AAA lights and even took beamshot comparisons for ya. I got the 35K mcd LEDs from KevinL for about $1 and I soldered it into the dorcy. I have more of a flood with better color than the new Arc AAA-P. The Arc might have a tiny bit more throw but it would only be the narrow angry blue center of the beam, then the Dorcy mod wins out with a nice wide white flood.

LUX reading measure the throw of a light from that part of the beam.
Arc AAA-P 48 LUX @ 1-meter
Dorcy stock 48 LUX @ 1-meter
Dorcy Mod 100 LUX @ 1-meter
I also modded a Dorcy AAA that has a bit more output with the 5mm LEDs from the Sandwich Shop.

Here's a link to my Single Cell Shootout Beamshot Party!!! thread. Look for the 43 post to see the Dorcy.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96518&page=2&pp=30

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Thank you

Hey, great info and photos. I appreciate your help.

My wife is getting impatient with me so I'll reply quickly.

From my testing the ARC AAA Premium and Dorcy AAA tonight, it seems like they are about the same. Maybe the edge goes to the ARC in brightness or it could be the color of the light that makes it seems more powerful.

Your numbers show them about the same. So that makes me feel better. Your photos show the stock Dorcy giving off more light than the ARC AAA CPF. I'm not sure what the CPF is but I'm assuming it's an older model.

I guess that means mine is the real deal.

Now I'll sleep better.

Mahalo,
DF

Status
Not open for further replies.