Bought a couple of Photon Freedoms

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I bought a couple of Photon Freedoms from BrightGuy the other day and I have a couple of observations -

1) Color of the light is a much warmer white than previous Photon Microlights. Mine have a yellow hotspot with a slightly bluish corona, and the overall effect is similar to that of some warm white LEDs which I've seen recently. Overall a pleasing light quality as well as being bright.

2) The multiple brightness settings as well as strobe and S.O.S. modes are nice. The S.O.S. mode could come in handy during a car breakdown.

3) The PWM produces a noticeable "spotty" effect as the light appears as several discrete blinking dots when waving it around. Neither good or bad, just interesting.

4) I like the clips that come with it. Putting a magnetic base on the gator clip was a great idea and will enable it to be stuck to a car fender for emergency illumination at night.

Overall it's a considerable improvement to an already good product. :thumbsup:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just broke down and ordered one in NV green w/covert nose. After reading so much about this light I couldn't resist any longer. In playing with it I got the impression right away that it was really well thought out and executed.
PhotonWrangler said:
3) The PWM produces a noticeable "spotty" effect as the light appears as several discrete blinking dots when waving it around. Neither good or bad, just interesting...
I found this post because I was searching around trying to figure out if PWM is used to control the output. Your 'waving it around' test is elegant in it's simplicity.

Because of the PWM there appears to be no color shift in the blue/green LED throughout the full output range.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I love my Photon Freedom. Thinking about getting another in a different color, maybe orange.

PhotonWrangler said:
3) The PWM produces a noticeable "spotty" effect as the light appears as several discrete blinking dots when waving it around. Neither good or bad, just interesting.

LRI claims that this allows for running the LED at its most efficient, thus saving battery life, rather than powering the LED with less voltage.

I'd like to see estimates of how much less power the dimmer modes use, from LRI or otherwise. Also, I'd like to know how long the battery should last on slow blink, as this could be perfect as a nighttime locator, but I couldn't find this information anywhere.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
For fixing a car, instead of messing with a Photon and alligator clips, I'd rather stick a PT Aurora or comparable headlamp in the glove box.