Jealous people at your flashlight?

Navck

Enlightened
Oh I wanted to make this. Had my Terralux module (Luxeon TLE-6 side emmiter) and brought it to science class to show how "LEDs aren't sucky".
The teacher actually gave me 10 minutes of class time to explain why "it didn't suck like the LEDs you see in your modems and such"
2 days later, the girl infront of me brings one of those "plastic battery holder" lights, 2D cells, fitted in her purse. "Well mine has extra giant batterys, yours is just ugly and sucky". Coming from "My flashlight is highlighter yellow and it can't even beat a puny AA light". Another kid decides "shine me in the eyes with a 3x3mm LED light", and 4 kids when we left kids "decided to pull out cheap-o 50 cent keychain lights". Littile note, 9th graders

Any moments you guys want to share and laugh at the non flashaholics?

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Jeaous people at your flashlight?

Big power outtage a while back. I was on call at work so I headed out to see that everything was OK on grounds. A lady decides to shine her light in my eyes while asking a question. I grumpily tell her "please don't do that" and shine my Peli M6 incan in her eyes. She dropped her light.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Jeaous people at your flashlight?

Navck: I've had a few, but then they turn to me when power goes out or they are in the woods and their crappy light dies or they don't realize how dim and puny it is. They are glad I'm there and can light up the place like day light... hehe. Sometimes they don't appreciate it until I turn my light off or wonder off then they can't see a single thing at all... They forget that the lights not the combinatino of both of our lights, it was ALL my light!!

GreenLED: LOL. That's priceless.

Zeiss: I;ve alwasy been one, just never had the means to feed my hunger until now. When I was a kid I always played with flashlights and wanted cool stainless ones that shined far. I had broken cameras and played with the flash constantly lol.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
Another kid decides "shine me in the eyes with a 3x3mm LED light"

u can use my 10 million candlepower spot and shine it in his eyes!

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
oooo... hehe, they are just you know, jealous of your light and somehow, humans react to jealousy by "booing" the thing or guy they are jealous of.

yes, it happens all the time, without us even noticing.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think shining a light in someone's eyes is funny. Whenever I hand someone a light, I always have to warn them not to turn it on while looking at it. They usually do anyway, and are blinded.

Nevertheless, when someone shines a light in my face intentionally, they'll get one back.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just reminded of an earlier post I made about going to a night time corn maze.

Initially people reacted with "you spent how much on a dumb *** flashlight?!?" or variations thereof.

When we finished the corn maze 4 hours later and I still had plenty of light to find my way around I was suddenly getting a few people saying "well, maybe that's not so much for a light like that!"

The origional thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/94997&highlight=maze

Also note my wife's attempts to keep people from shining the light in their eyes :laughing:

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in Iraq a few years back and a doctor blasted his single LED keychain light in my eyes. I told him I'll be back in a few minutes with a single LED light of my own. In the darkness he regained his night vision just in time for my "single LED light"
Fired up the 5D Mag feeding a LuxeonV Cyan LED and 30mm optic and hit him in the eyes from 4 feet away. He screamed and rolled around in the dust for a few minutes until the world was not "green and blue" anymore. It would seem that dark adapted eyes are 3 to 4 times more sensitive to cyan than in daylight. That would hit him with 3 to 4 times of the normal blinding levels of a Cyan LuxeonV.
Now to go back to the desert with my newest "single LED flashlight" a WX1S LuxeonV nFlex 8AA Mag. Like Stewie would say on the Family Guy "What did we learn"?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:
I was in Iraq a few years back and a doctor blasted his single LED keychain light in my eyes. I told him I'll be back in a few minutes with a single LED light of my own. In the darkness he regained his night vision just in time for my "single LED light"
Fired up the 5D Mag feeding a LuxeonV Cyan LED and 30mm optic and hit him in the eyes from 4 feet away. He screamed and rolled around in the dust for a few minutes until the world was not "green and blue" anymore. It would seem that dark adapted eyes are 3 to 4 times more sensitive to cyan than in daylight. That would hit him with 3 to 4 times of the normal blinding levels of a Cyan LuxeonV.
Now to go back to the desert with my newest "single LED flashlight" a WX1S LuxeonV nFlex 8AA Mag. Like Stewie would say on the Family Guy "What did we learn"?

You're mean ;)

It just so happens that peak sensitivity of human vision at night occurs RIGHT at the center wavelength that the cyan Luxeons are binned at!

(I wonder if LumiLEDs knew.. :D)

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someday I'll have to get and X990 or a Costco HID to at my friend's window in the middle of the night just to show him the "ultimate photon cannon"

(He thinks his "million candlepower spotlight" is the brightest avaliable)

Navck

Enlightened
The thing is, these people in my class will never be flashaholics, they're
"POHMGOD!!! OMGOM!!! I GOT NEW MAKEUP!!!" - Girl 1
"OMGOMGOMG!!! LIEK KEWWWLWWWWWLLL!!!!" - Girl 2
Thats your internet conversation, no intelligence :rant:

"DEWD I SO TOTALLY GOT DAH MANLYNESS!!! UR SMALL" - Boy 1
"NO U STFUFZZORS U LOZOR!!320950943 OM!!!!GGGG!" - Boy 2
Yes, these are actual kids in computer class typing to teach other in notepad at 20 words a minute to "try to impress each other"

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what happens to people who point lights into the face of REAL flashaholics.

aap.sized.jpg

This is what the guy in the picture is seeing (because the flashaholics mis-aimed and hit the cameraman, ie. ME, on the first pass :D)

aao.sized.jpg

Trust me.. it's painful when you have half a dozen multi-hundred-lumen lights out there :crackup:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite a lot of lights actually. We had a few Surefire Turboheads (all with 225-250 lumen lamps), a ROP/LE (600 output lumens), miscellaneous high powered Lux3/LuxV LEDs and then some. :D

That's what happens when you meet half a dozen flashaholics in a dark alley ;)

Latest posts