Recommend me a keyboard

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, my shift key really is broke! The only reason that this post looks normal is that I've hijacked my Mac Mini's keyboard.

My has-been keyboard is a Logitech that was made in 1998 or 1999 and has lasted for way beyond its service life. I REALLY liked that keyboard because of its nice click. They don't make it any more. I used to say that they were worth their weight in gold. Unfortunately they don't last forever either. I'm going to have to get used to something else :( :mecry:

Logitech really doesn't make 'em like they used to. I have a newer entry level white Logitech on my desk, I use it for troubleshooting work only. Throughly unimpressed. The black ones look interesting, any comments? I tried a friend's black Logitech wireless and the keys feel a little better.

Call me traditional but I REFUSE to go wireless with a keyboard. My keyboard sits nailed to the desk, end of story. I don't move it and I DON'T want to hassle with batteries and all the potential RF issues.

The Mac keyboard on the other hand is not too bad at all. I wonder if I should keep it. Maybe I'll try it for a few days. The "Apple" key works just like the Windows key too.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am still using my first keyboard..... a keytronics 1991 model made in the USA. I believe they still make lifetime warranty keyboards and they are built better than the average keyboard but I doubt they have the feel of mine. I already have a ps2 adapter waiting for my upgrade coming soon to a theatre near me.........

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
$50 for the keyboard, $60 for the shipping, ow ow ow ow. (though I am aware how heavy those tanks are)

I am tempted though!

Last edited:

StanTeate

Enlightened
Couple of thoughts, clicky keyboards give really good feedback. If you do any typing in a dark area, consider a backlit keyboard. I personally take the minimalist approach, getting rid of keys seldom used, thus reducing the footprint of the keyboard. So unless you use the Function keys a lot, there are keyboards that use combined key to emulate function keys. Personally I DO appreciate the arrow keys. Concerning the usb keyboards, some pc's that do not see a keyboard when booting make it diffacult to install the usb keyboard if you have to type in your user name to log in before it loads the usb keyboard driver. Cherry makes some small footprint keyboards.

StanTeate

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
IBM Model M all the way. They last forever, they have great response, and when you need to clean the keys you can take just the keycaps off.

But don't pay a lot of money for one. They're always being thrown out with old computer systems companies are/were upgrading. A real crusty local used parts shop should have a room full of them. Yard sales and Goodwill stores are good places to get the things. If you're really hot after one I have a spare.

flashgreenie

Enlightened
if you still can find people throwing away these model M, let me know. They jsut don't know what they have...:ohgeez:

ABTOMAT said:
IBM Model M all the way. They last forever, they have great response, and when you need to clean the keys you can take just the keycaps off.

But don't pay a lot of money for one. They're always being thrown out with old computer systems companies are/were upgrading. A real crusty local used parts shop should have a room full of them. Yard sales and Goodwill stores are good places to get the things. If you're really hot after one I have a spare.

jtice

Flashaholic
sheesh,

I cant stand those old IBM (or any brand) keyboards,
that sound like you are snapping twigs in half each time you hit a key.

I like low profile laptop type keys, with a snappy responce,
NOT a audible snap, just a sudden release as you press on it.

heh, so,, how much you guys willing to pay for the ancient IBM keyboards :naughty:
We probably have some here at work.

~John

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i got one at biglots i realy like its feel and features and they say its spill proff .it came with a mouse price was 10 bucks for both

greenLED

Flashaholic
i have one of the ergonomic (contoured) ones from Dell, helped reduce my wrist pain & it has "soft clicking"

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
The model M is still made - by Unicomp keyboards - www.pckeyboard.com Unicomp was spun off from Lexmark, which was spun off from IBM - until a year or so ago, you could even get NOS model Ms with the IBM logo at a discount because of the logo

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
On/Off topic...I've got trouble with the letters on the keys flaking away/off...any thoughts or suggestions?

Replace my keyboard? I'd rather not - guess I could make up some labels?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
them labels will just peel off.get new board.but get a cheap one.i realy like the one i got at biglots for 10 bucks with mouse it is good deal it has all kinda features on keyboard like email butten volume buttens calcalter a lot.and it types nice

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
raggie - you're not gonna' believe this! I like to keep a little calculator icon on my desktop - but it's covered up of course by whatever window I'm using. So then I have to minimize the current window, double-click on the icon, blah, blah, blah...

So in your recommendation to get a new keyboard, you mention a calculator key on the new keyboard...

Duhhhhhh...I look down and found a calculator key on my keyboard (already linked to the calc ware)...man do I feel like I need a "recharge" or something!

Thanks buddy!

Back on topic...my keyboard isn't that old, I think I'll complain to Gateway!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman, they actually sell keyboard labels to replace anything that's missing. I'm curious, which keys on your keyboard have the letters flaking off? Right now, on mine, it's the 'N' and the 'M'. They're still clearly visible, though. Anyway, I never look at the keys when I'm typing because it totally messes me up. I don't think my eyes are capable of following my fingers.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
"N - M - D - E" are the victims...I'm a touch typer as well, but still...it bugs me!

Where do they sell the labels? Office supply stores? Internet? I could search...

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
They sell 'em on the internet. I found a couple of places for them. I think I searched for "keyboard labels", or "keyboard replacement stickers". They're a little expensive when you consider you can buy a new keyboard for the same price ($10 - 15) unless you've got a laptop (not sure about the cost for laptop keyboards). On Sunday, at the swapmeet, I think I saw wireless keyboard and mouse combos being sold for 10 bucks!

Latest posts