• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Fenix L1P Two Stage Mod!

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everybody,

I am offering two stage mod for the Fenix L1P for
those who don't have a soldering iron or just don't want
to do it themselves.

I didn't come up with it but you can read about it HERE.

This will turn your fenix into a "twisty" and the
tail switch becomes a high-low toggle. :D
I will be using 10 ohm 1/8watt resistors.
Please keep in mind that this instantly voids your
manufacturer's warranty. :D

There are two options:
1) For $25 total you can send it your tailcap only in for modding.
I should be able to turn it around in one day. Email me for
my address.

2) Or I can send you a switch module for $30. The reason being
that I don't have many of these to send out (about a dozen)
However you can send in your old module and I'll refund you $5. :D

NOTE!!! You need to be able to install these yourself with
a spanner wrench! If in doubt, just send in your tailcap!

** International orders add $5

Here's my paypal info:
Paypal using a credit card, send to [email protected]
If NOT using a credit card, send to [email protected]

In the case that I get flooded with a dozen requests, they will be modded
in the order payment was received. :D

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it not possible to make a mod like on the Q-III?
That would be much better.
Seems like a hassle to have to twist and compromise watertightness
to achieve two levels.

But hey,atleast now there is aworking two stage mod for the Fenix ;)
Nice job!

Benny

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hans said:
PayPal sent for two tailcaps ..:)

Hans

Whoa! wait! These are not tailcaps! These are the switch modules only!
You will have to install them yourself with spanner wrenches!

greenLED said:
The Qiii has a reverse clickie, doesn't it?

Yes, but the fenix has a lower profile clicky. I have a bunch of the two stage
switches for the Q3 but they won't fit. Trust me I've tried :)

Mike abcd

Enlightened
4sevens said:
Whoa! wait! These are not tailcaps! These are the switch modules only!
You will have to install them yourself with spanner wrenches!

I'd like to get full tailcap assemblies if you can source them. I'd like the option of using the L1P as either a clickie or a two stage twistie by swapping tailcaps. Stock tailcap assemblies would be preferable as it looks like a simple mod.

Anybody else interested in convincing David there's a demand for this?

Mike

onthebeam

Enlightened
Mike abcd said:
I'd like to get full tailcap assemblies if you can source them. I'd like the option of using the L1P as either a clickie or a two stage twistie by swapping tailcaps. Stock tailcap assemblies would be preferable as it looks like a simple mod.

Mike

Now that's a bright idea. Just swap the tailcap to change between the current Fenix design and the two stage option. . .

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question - if someone buys another Fenix from you, can they get the option of having it modded at the time of purchase and then sent up? :D

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike abcd said:

Mike

That is a possibility if significant demand is there.

Haesslich said:
Quick question - if someone buys another Fenix from you, can they get the option of having it modded at the time of purchase and then sent up? :D

Yes. I posted in the BST thread indicating such :D

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens,

arrgh, I knew something like that was gonna happen when you said you were getting more Fenixes in for modding. Should have waited till you were ready to mod before sending me my replacement :p

I'm not gonna send the Fenix back again and go through the whole hoo-ha again...haha... maybe I'll order a whole new one with the mod sometime in future :)

Thanks 4sevens!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested in a spare stock tail cap or two if they are not too pricey.

Thanks, 4sevens, and it looks like this latest development will really increase your business!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens- I assume so, but I just thought I'd ask- the switch on the v2.0 and 2.5 is the same, right? If so, I'll send you one tail cap for modding (and I'll still have the other "standard" option available as I have one of each light).

A couple other quick questions: Will there be any problem with the 2 stage circuit given the slightly higher voltage with primary lithiums?- I don't want to fry any resistors.
Also, any idea what the runtime on low will be like?

Last question: I recall from the QIII mods that 10 ohms produces a "brighter" low. I had a 5ohm modded QIII and low was about Ultra-G brightness- it was just about right for me. For those of us that prefer a "lower" low (or maybe just me), could you do the mod with a 5ohm resistor?

Thanks in advance for both the answers and for offering us your services :D.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
4sevens- I assume so, but I just thought I'd ask- the switch on the v2.0 and 2.5 is the same, right? If so, I'll send you one tail cap for modding (and I'll still have the other "standard" option available as I have one of each light)
Yes they are the same. Email me for my address.
A couple other quick questions: Will there be any problem with the 2 stage circuit given the slightly higher voltage with primary lithiums?- I don't want to fry any resistors.
Also, any idea what the runtime on low will be like?
I have no idea and I'm not gonna test them on my fenix's :) You're not
supposed to go above 1.5v remember?
Last question: I recall from the QIII mods that 10 ohms produces a "brighter" low. I had a 5ohm modded QIII and low was about Ultra-G brightness- it was just about right for me. For those of us that prefer a "lower" low (or maybe just me), could you do the mod with a 5ohm resistor?

Thanks in advance for both the answers and for offering us your services :D.
Um... 5ohms would be brighter due to lower resistance. Sure I'll make you
a 5 ohm one if you like :D

BTW, those of you are waiting for a complete tailcap to buy, sorry it's not
going to happen soon. They won't be very cheap unless I get a whole bunch
of them and I don't see lots of interest ;p

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about posting a feeler GB for Fenix tailcaps (2-stage) to gauge the interest? What kind of numbers are we looking at to make this feasible? 100?

If every other Fenix owner (which is a whole bunch looking at your GB list! And others from other sellers) wanted a tailcap, I think we'd have enough :D

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh- Sorry, I'm not too knowledgable about the electrical end of it (I thought 5ohms meant that it was letting less mA through, not offering less resistance.) The 10 ohm sounds good to me in that case.

As far as lithium goes- you mean you aren't even using the energizer lithium primaries? I'm not talking about lithium rechargables. I believe even "Phoenix" on the boards said they were ok. I guess I'll take my chances as they are rated at 1.5 volts (the competing batterystation ones are 1.7). I just wanted some feedback as to the durability of the "low" circuit.

Any insight into what the runtime on low might be (even if its just based on math- as I said, I'm more of the "artist/aesthetic-type" flashaholic, not the engineering type- I'm probably outnumbered 1000 to one here ;))

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice, usual disclamers on my advice, but as to the durability issue, wwglen correctly calculated the power at 40 mA, and it is not even close to the 1/4 watt rating of the resistors he used (0.016 watts). The current would not go up enough with your 1.5v rated Energizers to change that much.

My old eyes were struggling with 10 Ohms, I did not think it was close to the total effect of a typical 5 mm light, which is what I hoped for. So I put a second 10 Ohm in (net 5 Ohms now), and like it very much. Still not quite the overall output of a Dorcy AAA, but brighter at the center spot, as would be expected. My meter on 10 amp scale showed an increase from between 50 and 60 mA w/10 Ohms to 80 mA w/5 Ohms. Still no power problems, especially since the current is divided between two parallel resistors.

Your runtime, in theory, is your battery capacity divided by the current drawn. wwglen's setup (actually 11 Ohms) draws 40 mA on his meter, max. If you use a 2400 mAh NiMh, that would run for 60 hours on low. My 5 Ohm would do 30 hours at 80 mA. Lithiums of course would run much longer, I think around 50% more from what I have seen. For me, I will have to be charging my NiMh battery due to self discharge rather than usage!

Hope that helps some :) .