Are there any 1 C or 1 D powered LED lights out there?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have plenty of 1xAAA & 1xAA lights to choose from, but I'm not aware of any 1xC or 1xD LED lights that are readily available.

If there aren't any 1xC or 1xD LED lights out there, why not? Wouldn't the diameter of the battery tube of a 1xC light be about the same as 3xAAA light and therefore have about the same form factor?

Couldn't a similar boost circuit be used as is used for the 1.5v single AAA and AA lights?

Battery changes would be much simpler with a single C or D battery as compared to a 3AAA light and the light wouldn't be much larger (maybe no larger with a C).

The capacity of the C is greater than 3 AAA and has less internal resistance and should thus be able to power a luxeon light better than 3 AAA.

Has anyone else wondered about this?

Would anyone else like to see some 1 C or 1 D LED lights?

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i will like to see one of those.

made like peak or arc*hint* a C/D cell light with the same dc to dc as arc or peak

even 9 led will do well with a C/D cell capacity

(energizer's C cell is 8350mah and the D cell's is 20500mah both are alkaline)

phatalbert

Enlightened
Amen! I love the idea of a single C or D cell light. C's are just such a nice size and D's have awesome capacity. How long would a D last driving a single 5mm led at a starting brightness of, say, an infinity ultra?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Energizer Accent Lanterns are 1 D powered. Not exactly a flashlight, but still nice. They are advertised to have a 200 hour runtime, and I think it might be close to it.

Geoff

phatalbert

Enlightened
Where can you find the accent (may have seen it in wally world...) Is it led or incan?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Roy got 11:15 from the Infinity Ultra.

An Energizer AA is rated at 2,850 mAh.

An Energizer D is rated at 20,500 mAh so that would put runtime on the Infinity Ultra boost circuit at about 81 hours.

Or about 33 hours on a single C cell.

I like the idea of a C or D cell single LED light maybe for a bug out kit type use, but for the most part, I still like the idea of the AA Ultra. With Lithium cells, I think about 15 hours is what should be expected so that's half of what a regular Energizer C cell gets in a much smaller and pocketable form factor.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Accent lanterns come 3/package. They are great lights, meant to be outdoors but useable inside. They do run a very, very long time on a single D cell. I use mine as check the kids lights in their bedrooms, and one in the bathroom.

S

ss1

i want a 1c 4+ led light !!! does anyone have a diy light kit? interchange the flashlight body parts for your needs.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3AAA police light from Waion. It is highly likely that I can get someone to bore out the tube to accommodate a C size cell and add a bost circuit (MiniPro)to power a Lux I or Lux III LED. Cost and availability of materials however are my drawbacks since I don't live in the US. :Shrug:

Radio

Modulated Moderator
So now that the seed has been planted, how long till one of these machinist gurus with a lathe is gonna spin some aluminum and put 3 X 3watt stars in a nice 1D package and offer it to us, I know I would LOVE one

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
These 2 lights use a 3AA to 1D battery holder.

Top, LITEmania's T-Rank, 3 Watt Luxeon Cutdown 1D M*glite. Bottom, Elektrolumens 3 Watt Blaster Jr.

dsc013728al.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think the biggest drawback to a 1D light is you can put 3 to 4AA batteries in the same space and not have to deal with a boost circuit and its losses. 4AA 2500 mah nimh give you about 10amps which is well on par with a nimh D cell and a boost circuit losses are perhaps near 35-50% so you would need a 10000 to 20000 mah D cell to match it and the cost of a boost circuit powerful enough to power something other than a few 5mm LEDs. I like the accent lanterns but they are mainly useful for area lighting and not for doing anything like reading or working on stuff. A 4AA version of the accent lantern could drive even a 3watt luxeon and put out a lot of light and using nimh rechargables is guilt free.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1P seems to effectively boost 1.5v to drive a luxeon, couldn't the same concept be used for a C or D battery and have much longer run time?

Those numbers on the losses involved in using a boost circuit aren't very attractive. Aren't there any more efficient boost circuits?

The thee AAA lights are the one's I was most interested in replacing. The idea was to get away from challenge of changing batteries in the 3 battery carriers in the dark without adversely effecting the form factor of the light for carrying and using. It's a lot easier to dump one battery out and another in than to remove three batteries from a cartridge and then reload the cartridge, even if you have another flashlight to see what you are doing.

Rechargeable C and D batteries are also available for guilt free use.

I'm not very familiar with flashlight electronics and the pros and cons of different systems, so please continue my education.

InfidelCastro

Banned
The River Rock flashlight at Target is a 2C, but it's pretty small. It has the Nichia Jupiter LED @ 1.5W. I like the light alot.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
The River Rock flashlight at Target is a 2C, but it's pretty small. It has the Nichia Jupiter LED @ 1.5W. I like the light alot.

Thanks, but I'm only interested in 1 cell C or D lights.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want an ultra long running light with just one battery, there's always the good old 6 volt rectangular lantern battery. One of those should run a few LED's for months.

moraino

Enlightened
Dspeck had a run maybe a couple of years ago of 1D or 1C on which you can screw on a Arc AAA head. Send him a email, he may start a run. I would get one if available...

Henry

Latest posts