got new video card and psu for pc

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well my second video card went funny last week.was artafacting as if it was overclocked whci h it wasnt .so i went for a mad dash to replace it .i had very little money. my dad handles my money so i called him .well saterday we went to frys i found a ati aiw pro 9800 for 150.i knew this card was a good deal for a local store.and i didnt have a vcr or dvd recorder no mor so i thout it may be a good option since it rerods tv in tivo type way/but a course i know this was a hungy video card taking lots a power.so i also got a 600 watt powersuplly it was usaly 100 bucks on sale for 70 .then ya get 40 bucks rebate so it was only 30 bucks .its a no name calle da ultra x infinity but it has real good reviews and so far it has rock steady rails .i now am broke again but my computer is my only way i get to interact with peoiple since i dont like leaveing house.and the chepest card i saw local was like 129 for a garbage card.this card seems very fast

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think its called theture 200 or something.im kinda confused how to encode it for tv play back on my dvd player.my dvd player plays dvd and divx and xvid and avi files.im still trying to figure out how to capture so its small but decent quality.i love the guide plus feature ya can look at whats on for a week then just clcik what ya want to record.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have a different kind of capture card based on the new Conexant chipset, but I capture as .avi files and drag & drop them into Nero's DVD burner application. Works great!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
so is it better to encodde the file bigger then shrink it?cause its hard for cpu to encode on the fly?.i may set up my sata raid disk to encode to

raggie33

*the raggedier*
this is my drive speed btw substaned for windows disk drive is 25 megs per second for my sata drives its 50 per second havent tested raid yet since i dont have it set up

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Definitely capture to the SATA drive. Use the least amount of compression that you can while capturing since that's a very CPU-intensive process. Once you bring it into the DVD authoring program, that program will handle the compression more easily as it doesn't have to do it in real time.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool thats what im doing wrong lol.i was geting so frustrated

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok take care pw .i just set up raid stripeing got a substaned transfer of like 70 megs per second.man that would be a huge file lol

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did good Raggie, with that all in wonder video card.
Now you never have to leave the pc to go watch tv.
This also cuts down on the number of rooms needing heating, now that you can stay camped out in the same room for tv and the computer. ;)