I think I'm going for SF U2

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

It's way too expensive, but has the right balance of output (a minimum of 65 lumens, 80-100 preferrable), throw, and variable settings. The L2 is very compelling, but the regulation curve at FlashlightReviews is a bit wierd, and I'm not sure I understand the tailcap operation. I like a two level light though. But it is more of a flood-light than I'd like.

I suspect with the U2, I will use the level 2 most of the time for a bright setting, and some lower level for wandering around the house when it's dark. Level 1 just for occasional kicks.

I wish there was a 65-100 lumen LED with a really long throw, but perhaps this is only obtainable with some big reflector, which I definitely don't want.

I'm actually getting tempted to buy a Mag Charger for a good throwing small diameter light. But after this U2, and my recent order of an ARC AAA Premium, I think I'd better stop buying flashlights. Should start saving for something really nuts like a 35W HID or Xenon short-arc. :devil:

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Great Choice ! ............................................ :naughty:

Level 1 throws more than enough light for wandering
around the house when it's dark. Level 6 is almost
blinding in a dark house. It will also accept the Pila 168A
Li-Ion rechargeable 2000 mAH battery.

Love mine ........ :thumbsup:

Enjoy

Luxman

Enlightened
The U2 is a Great Light!!
The lowest level actually is quite bright.. IMO good for walking and short range looking/finding.

You won't be sorry! :)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
U2 is awesome, got mine new in box for $200 locally at a pawn shop. (SF dealer)

Well worth the money. Some say the head is a bit to big for EDC, I disagree.

Enjoy,
PSM

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
There ain't no other....
u2.jpg

If you look on FLDB, the U2 is the second most highly 'read' light. This was not something I expected when I started FLDB. The difference is that FLDB's a review site with user-contributed reviews, so you get to hear the opinion of many folks in one place, as opposed to one reviewer doing all the work (I'd fall over from exhaustion if I was writing all of that! :awman: ). It seems that most of the users think very highly of it too.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xe54 said: "...I wish there was a 65-100 lumen LED with a really long throw"

The LEDBeam has excellent throw, but is a physically larger light:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledbeam_3c.htm

The Pelican 3W M6 has good throw for and LED light and is roughly Minimag size, but only one output level:

The Night-Ops Gladius has good throw and variable output, however overall output is less than the U2:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/night-ops_gladius.htm

The U2 is expensive but it's a great light. I find it has plenty of throw for any situation I've encountered.

Xe54

Enlightened
joema said:
Xe54 said: "...I wish there was a 65-100 lumen LED with a really long throw"
The LEDBeam has excellent throw, but is a physically larger light:
The Pelican 3W M6 has good throw for and LED light and is roughly Minimag size, but only one output level:
The Night-Ops Gladius has good throw and variable output, however overall output is less than the U2:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/night-ops_gladius.htm
The U2 is expensive but it's a great light. I find it has plenty of throw for any situation I've encountered.

Yes, the LEDBeam is a good thrower, but I'm put off by the lack of regulation. If they had it well regulated, I'd buy it in an instant to replace my Mad 4D car flashlight. Hmm, it's so inexpensive maybe I'll just buy one anyway!

Pelican M6 3W is a great light, I will be buying one at work where I don't need adjustable output. Already have the M6 1W. Their incandescent M6 is also killer, but short runtime.

Overall output of Gladius is a deterrent, also considering the price. In this case for similar price to the U2, overall output is more important to me.

Thanks for the input!

cognitivefun

Enlightened
When I discovered nice lights, I stuck with lower end Streamlights and then finally bought my first SureFire, I think the L4.

I am thrilled with SureFire and I love my U2. I think if I was doing it all over, I would have gone for the U2 first thing. It is so useful, and it runs on this rechargable so it is guilt-free, bright or not-bright, what more can you ask for today?

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I find the U2 wonderful for many uses including traffic control with the wand, as you can have the perfect amount of light as well as keeping the level low and saving batteries. I have the u2, a 6 p with the new kl3 head, and though I want another surefire, I can't seem to find one that beats the u2. I'm really impressed with the U2 and highly recommend it. At the moment I'm waiting on a holster to be made for it so I'm stuck to the 6 p right now:awman:

Wish it was the 6p I had sent away.....but both are fantastic. Buy the U2 if you haven't already, you won't regret it.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Xe54 said:
In this case for similar price to the U2, overall output is more important to me.

Thanks for the input!
I got mine from an eBay Dealer for $210 and loved it !

You know you really want it ! ............................ :rock:

Do it NOW !!!! Just say ..... :takeit: .....:paypal: .... :thumbsup:

TorchMan

Enlightened
It's a great light. For the type of beam that it has, it throws suprisingly well. One thing that I really love about it is the fact that you can change the brightness level with it turned off. I don't know of another light that lets you do that.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Don't forget to check out OpticHQ's CPF deal (follow the Specials link on my sigline or see the GB thread on the Dealer's forum). Won't find it cheaper anywhere else.

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
Go ahead. Get it. You WILL NOT be disappointed! I absolutely love mine and have it with me (or at least close by) almost 24/7!