base.google.com: All your Base are belong to us

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Well, Google's gone and done it. They've just launched http://base.google.com .

This is HUGE. It will kill a *lot* of newspapers (and maybe a lot of websites too).

Free want ads, searchable anywhere in the world. I checked twice in the last 10 minutes. It was up, then it was down, but whatever, it's coming and it will have a tsunami-like impact on the newspaper industry.

<edit>Could this kill eBay too?</edit>

Last edited:

was_jlh

Enlightened
So, I guess they're saying -

You have no chance to survive, make your time ?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It will kill newspapers, ebay, and paypal like how gmail has killed hotmail... er, nevermind - hotmail is still around, funny that...

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do know that Paypal is part of ebay, is google also from the same company? I know about the Paypal being part of ebay because I once told my dad about how Paypal was sort of "branching out", with their Paypal credit card, buyer credit, the PP money market thing, how they had an ATM card you could get to access your PP funds, etc....so, he looked into buying stock in Paypal and he said he found that it couldn't be done because it was a part of ebay.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...PP and ebay -- one's a subsidiary of the other...forget how it goes...I think ebay bought PP. Now, they're (ebay) starting to get a bit more restrictive on what online payment methods one can accept for one's auctions. Gee, I wonder why...

All this while they still claim (for other legal reasons) that they are "only a venue"...right...

For a real eye-opening experience, try reading the PayPal discussion boards on ebay sometime. There are all sorts of creative and clever ways for buyers and sellers to rip each other off with PayPal. It has changed how I view PP...I won't accept it on auctions which I expect to go for more than I am willing to throw out the window -- which isn't very much.

Google is not related to PP/ebay. Google did say they were coming out with their own online payment service, but said they didn't intend to compete with PayPal, or something like that. I wish they would though.

JM-99

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Classifieds are fine but I don't see this replacing the "reputation" and "trust" information eBay provides, which helps when making long distance buys from strangers.

I notice that no one has created ad categories like: flashlights, knives, or guns yet.