LEDs for Christmas gifts, storms, and older relatives

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Ok with a subject like that, yall are probably going "what in the world is this guy talking about?"

Last night we had some pretty intense storms pass through. And where I live and a lot of my relatives live is right in the middle of north Alabama, so tornados are quite common.

My family and I have pretty much decided it's a good idea to call and check on each other before and after these storms and relay storm info to each other. I have two grandmas that are in their 80's and live alone. So we do worry about them particularly when we have bad storms. I was talking to my mom last night and asked about my grandmas. I asked her about how well they were setup for power outages. Mom said that one of them had a flashlight that may or may not have good batteries and that she had given her instructions to go to a safe part of the house as soon as tornado sirens started. I asked mom if she had a weather radio, mom said no. She did say my other grandma was well prepared. Being how that grandma is part of the volunteer fire dept. and is the treasurer for them, I know she has about 30 to 40 firefighters that watch out for her 24/7. Plus she has scanners, radios, flashlights, etc.

Anyways, Christmas is coming up and I know I have atleast one grandma that I need take care of as far as emergency supplies go. So she's getting a weather radio and a good flashlight. The weather radio part I have already taken care of. What I need help with is the flashlight part. And since power outages can last awhile LED is the way to go. But I need some feedback on what my options are. My main two concerns are weight and the switch mechanism. I don't want to get her anything that is too hard to operate. I'm sure with arthritis some switches may be too hard for her to operate. I also don't want a brick, something of a reasonable weight would be good. probably mutiple AA cell size. So what do you guys think? Suggestions? Below is a list of things I'm thinking about with this light.

-- Must be LED (for long runtimes)
-- Easy to use switch
-- Common battery size (AAA, AA, or C) no heavy D cells
-- Not heavy or large, but not tiny either
-- Easy to change batteries
-- Price range, up to $30

Lights I have thought of that may be options are

Pelican Recoil 2410
Princeton Tec Attitude or Impact

Thanks!

jtice

Flashaholic
UK 4AA LED

Not super bright, but plenty in a dark house.
Very tough, water tight, 10 hour runtime !

Streamlight 4AA Luxeon
Much brighter, good throw, water tight.
About 5 hour runtime.

Might check your local Walmart for a 1AA or 1AAA little Dorcy led light.
Not great quality, but a nice little around the house at night light. and cheap.
Can be worn around the neck etc.

~John