Led-Lenser V2TL, nimh, 3w Luxeon question

Anders

Enlightened
Hello everybody!

I just bough Led-Lenser V2TL:
http://www.zweibrueder.com/english/products/torchesandflashlights/ledlenserv2series/v2tl.html
(This was before i read the threads of Led-Lenser vs the hot-stuff here:mecry:)

The light has a Luxeon 3 watt LED and run with 3 standard C cells.

I bought Nimh cells, Minamoto 4500 mAh to use with it and they worked just fine for me, i tryed it a couple of times.
BUT when i found this gorgeous forum i saw that maybe, it wasn't a good choise for me with Nimh cells.

I sent a mail to zweibruder, who is the manufacturer of Led-Lenser to ask if it was a good choise to use the Nimh cells in the light but they answered:

We do not recommend that you use NIMH cells. If you do there is a chance that you will burn out the LED. You should only use rechargeable batteries in our rechargeable lights. Thanks.

The Nimh cost me $40 so they wasn't cheap and i have no other stuff to use them in.

However, i looked at the Luxeon site :
http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=386&link_str=196::198&partno=LXHL-LW3C
I think that this is my LED? and noticed in the tecnical data sheet that i maybe could use my Nimh after all?

With the positive terminals pointing down in the lamp i measured it with my multimeter, unfortunately i'm no engineer so I would need your advice with the measurement.:thanks:

With the tailcap off and the powerbutton on, i measured from the negative pole to inside of the cylinder (where the batteries are).

With alkaline batteries used 5 minutes: 2,96 Volt and 0,44 A
With my Nimh cells: 2,50 Volt and 0,50 A
This is between the 20 A on the multimeter and com (the A measurement)

Maybe it have a resistor?

Maybe it is not the appropriate way to measure it but i can't take off the head of the light to measure the LED.

So, what do the experts here say, have zweibruder right or can i use them anyway?

I'm sorry for the misspelling, perhaps you understand me anyway.

Thanks in advance//Anders

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi Anders!
Not that I had an answer to your question, but I sincerely congratulate you for the purchase of this fine light tool :D :D ... I have one, too, and I am just as satisfied as you seem to be :green:
One option would be to put a regulator in that huge thing to eliminate the risk for the LED ...
bernie

Anders

Enlightened
Hi Kiessling and thankyou for your answer!

Yes it is with my measurement a good lamp... for me anyway, my second LED-light, the first is a Led-Lenser as well, a Head Fire Power Chip,
(a headlamp.)

Maybe someone have a positive answer for me so i didn't bought the Nimh-cells for nothing, i don't have thoose qualifications to assemble the regulator-stuff :mecry:

Anders

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Anders and velkkommen skal du vaere ;)

Did you buy those NiMhs at Clas Ohlson?

I don't think you will damage the LED using NiMh, a lot of other unregulated lights use 3 cells and people use NiMhs in them. Often the manufacturer will not recommend using other batteries than alkalines, but in most cases you will be OK running NiMhs in them.

Since you've joined this forum you will soon learn that there are a lot better lights out there and at lower prices than you ar used to in Sweden.
I would strongly advise you to get a paypal account, read up on some lights you find interesting and buy them online or through the BST part of the forum.

Because of this it won't be a disaster if you shorten the lifetime of your led as you will have a lot of other better ones:)
If you want a better light for you 3 C-cells I would recommend: STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 3C Luxeon LED for $26.95 at fox-intl.com...

Sverre

Anders

Enlightened
Hi Nofair!
Tack ska du ha:p.
Yes i bought the c-cells at Clas Ohlson.

My PayPal account is ready:)
Two weeks ago i ordered a light with it, i don't have the light yet but soon i hope (SmartFire 3W AA) I also ordered Terralux Ministar to my Maglite 2AA.

I am also interested of Surefire U2 and have made a contact with a member in CPF who has this light to sell, maybe it is you who is interested of the light? He told me that I am number two on the U2 cause it is a Norwegian member in CPF who also is interested of it.

Its funny, three weeks ago i was the owner of one LED light, a head lamp from LED-Lenser, now i have two and soon four or five.
:wow:
This forum is so expensive:huh2:

Thanks for the advice Sverre.

Anders

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Smartfire 3W AA, I think you will be happy with it. I'm not in the marked for a U2 at the moment ;) even though it's supposed to be a great flachlight. I have a HDS Basic 60 that does most of what a U2 does and is half the size. It's not quite as bright as a U2, but I have other lights for when I need a lot of light.
If you get a U2 try to buy a Li-ion rechargeable with it. I think it's a 18650 that you want, but I'm not sure.
If you bought your Smartfire from Emilion you can check his website/store to see if he has this battery and charger. I think his prices are pretty good.
You could also check the BST to find good offers on batteries and chargers

If you have a wife girlfriend you better not tell her what your lights cost or she'll think you've lost it ;)

Sverre

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's good to know that someone besides Ernsanada has the Smartfire 2AA 3w. He has a review in the Reviews section if you'd like to add your thoughts on it. I'm considering buying one.

Anders

Enlightened
Hi again!

Nofair:Lucky me, I am not having any girlfriend for the moment, but if i had one i shouldn't tell her, who would, I am not so stupid:).
I can't neither tell my friends on work what the lights cost:p.

Yes I am aware of that a charger and batteries is best with that sort of batteries 123A type, thankyou anyway for the advice.

LightObsession: When the light comes maybe i could make a review, but its hard for me to know all the words that are common (in light discussion) because my english isn't so good.

Anders

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Anders.

Use whatever words you like to describe the light when it arrives. If we're not quite sure what you mean, we'll ask questions.

Have a great day.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the heatsink of the LED, and the Exact Bin code of the LED in your light,

It's it J or lower using NIMH can damage the light even with good heatsinkg, especialy when they are fresh off the charger the risk is much higher.

If you have L or higher voltage bin LED then your probably safe with decent heatsinking.

Glad to answer your question welcome to the forum

Anders

Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the answer.
I don't know the Bin code to that LED.
Maybe zweibruder does, i sent them a mail, hope they know.

Anders

Latest posts