HDS basic 42 or surefire L1?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hmmmmm, in true CPF form - I have both!

The HDS is certainly nice & small - I think I'd rather have that one in my pocket.

I've got the newer generation L1 and it's throw beats my HDS. I keep a Surefire F04 beamshaper on it for flood - pop it off for throw.

I really like them both - if I haaaaaaad to narrow it down to just one? Well, I'd say go with the L1 and save up for a later purchase of the HDS.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
and if I had to have one, I'd go with the HDS. I think it is more versatile and useful -- smaller and more pocketable.

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
I have a HDS U 42 and an old L1 I think you would find that the Basic 42 is a much better buy, the L1 is just to long and only has the two levels, go for the HDS you know it makes sense. mind you, you could buy the L1 as well its still a nice light,

Mark

cslinger

Enlightened
Love my Surefires. Love my L1s, I have 2. Without hesitation I would choose the...................HDS EDC Basic 42. It is much smaller, much easier to carry, much more versatile, has a better beam and in general has truely been the best EDC light ever. Not that I am getting rid of my L1s mind you but they serve house duty while the EDC is well carried everyday.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
cslinger said:
Love my Surefires. Love my L1s, I have 2. Without hesitation I would choose the...................HDS EDC Basic 42. It is much smaller, much easier to carry, much more versatile, has a better beam and in general has truely been the best EDC light ever. Not that I am getting rid of my L1s mind you but they serve house duty while the EDC is well carried everyday.

Same here, love my surefires, love the L1. without hessitation you should get the........................ HDS EDC 60.

seriously for the money I really think its worth it to get the 60. 42 lumens dosent count to me as a 'medium brightness' light, 60 does.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Dear CPF members;

I too have been long considering between these two lights. Some points I have recognized:

The Surefire L1 has two methods of turning it on (press switch or bezel twist, thus possibly more reliable) (the HDS has only the press switch).

The Surefire L1 does not have a light flicker effect on low, while the HDS is said to do so as a normalcy.

The Surefire length is much easier for handling the light and operating the tail switch with ones thumb, than it is with a much shorter light, as the HDS is (at least for my hand size/shape, and when wearing gloves, as I have tested with other similar sized lights).

The Surefire is more mechanically controlled rather than electronically controlled, which (I have read) is more reliable (but this remains to be seen overtime).

The Surefire L1 is a fourth generation light, the HDS is much younger and less tested in the field by time, thus the Surefire may be more dependable (again, this must be confirmed over time).

The Surefire L1 requires only one press or twist of the bezel for the desired light output. The HDS requires two or more clicks for any light level other than the primary or maximum. This can be burdensome if frequent short bursts of low light is needed.

Surefire is a larger company, thus potentially more stable as an insurance for the lifetime warranty.

But the HDS has its full regulation at all levels, much shorter length, two extra light levels, rechargable battery option, AA battery option (coming), and greater lumen output, unlike the Surefire L1.

A difficult decision.

Most sincerely;

FaithinGod

Fruitjacknix

Newly Enlightened
Hds always! I have the U60GT and I haven't even used any other light I have. If I need more throw I use the T3. Go with the HDS and you won't regret it!
Michael

cslinger

Enlightened
Everything FaithinGod said was also correct. I do actually prefer the Surefire switch system. Like I said the Surefire product is a spectacular one that I love. For me it comes down to what I want in an all the time carry light and that is the following.
1-small as possible while retaining the brightness and features I want.
2-variable output.
3-capability of very long emergency run time. 20 hours is sort of my benchmark here so the the HDS 200 or so hours on low more then qualifies.
4-Water resistent
5-HAIII coating.

Basically for me the HDS is a better carry light. My L1s make wonderful utility lights around the house. If it is practical I will usually have an A2 with me.

Chris

cslinger

Enlightened
Low on the HDS is much lower then on the L1. The HDS "secondary" setting, or the third one from the highest level is about equivelent to the L1 on low, maybe a bit brighter. The minimum setting or the lowest possible on the basic model is much lower then the L1 but still surprisingly useful for basic navigation, reading in bed etc. Because it is so low HDS has extrapolated that it should run at that level for somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 or so hours if I remember correctly. I don't plan to ever find out for real unless I get trapped in a cave, with enough food and water to last 10 days. :D

Chris

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mossyoak, I don't have the SFL1 but do have the HDS U60 and can tell you that the U60 is a really neat EDC and is excellent for hunting on the lower settings. I bought the r123's for longer runtimes and cheaper use and love them. I can take along a spare and not have to worry about being in the dark!

Y

yourHDSguy

I used the L1 as a house/night light until I got my HDS. The L1 is a nice light. The Basic 42 has two more brightness levels, goes way brighter and a bit less bright than the L1. Better on both ends! Twice the choices! The Clickie switch is more desirable and the smaller light is far superior as an EDC...Definitely the HDS.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What will you be using this light for? It is a tough question to answer, I know. In order to answer your question properly I need this information.
Yaesumofo

mossyoak said:
alright guys im aobut to need a new EDC i have i narrowed down between these to so which one should it be?