Just Lost Another Tooth! @#$%%^!!!

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Brushing my teeth this morning and lo and behold a molar drops out!!!??? NOT AGAIN!!!!??? :ohgeez: :awman:

At the moment I'm highly brassed off about it!! :rant:

Despite brushing my teeth at least twice daily, I've lost several teeth over the years due to either Dentist extraction and (primarily) due to decay and lost fillings. The right side of my mouth has only about half the teeth left, the bottom right is the worst. Lost about five teeth! Left side is not bad, only two teeth removed/lost.

I don't like going to Dentists for two reasons: expense, and an ultra-sensistive mouth (which I inherited from my father, I think). Unfortunately, I have the tendency to gag or retch whenever dental instruments are placed within my mouth. The same thing usually happens even when using a thermometer placed under my tongue!

Embarrasing and annoying!!! :ohgeez: :rolleyes:

I'm tempted to get hold of a hammer and chisel and remove the last of the f&#*%$s and be done with it!!! :xyxgun:

greenLED

Flashaholic
meeshu said:
Unfortunately, I have the tendency to gag or retch whenever dental instruments are placed within my mouth. The same thing usually happens even when using a thermometer placed under my tongue!

Embarrasing and annoying!!! :ohgeez: :rolleyes:

My brother's a dentist and I've heard him talk about this condition in a couple of his patients. I think he uses some kind of substance to control the gag reflex, but don't know the details. Talk to your dentist about it.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I have some suggestions.

Consider buying calcium ascorbate, a non-acidic form of vitamin C, by the pound, and taking as much as you can tolerate (just short of diarrhea). It is amazing how many people need massive amounts of C to get their health back.

You can take 30g or more per day and it can really help.

Also, this book and device are well worth getting. It is a home care system to cure gum disease.

And, consider going to a sedation dentist, or pill dentist, who will put you under with just a pill, so you can get your dentistry done and you won't feel or remember a thing. I have a client that is a group of several thousand dentists. googling sedation dentist and find a dentist who does this near you. you can get all the work you need done in only a few visits.

Last edited:

HighLight

Enlightened
Just last week I chomped down on a hard candy while at the computer. Next thing I knew I was spitting out half a tooth! Thats the second time this happened, Went to the dentist each time and had a temporary repair but I have to get Two Caps/Crowns @ $900.00 each. Now thats what hurts!

Saaby

Flashaholic
All you need is a good dentist.

Unfortunately, I was blessed with my dad's soft teeth. Despite taking meticulous care of my mouth (Floss every day, brush twice a day) I still have a million dollar mouth.

Fortunately, despite critics saying that dentistry hasn't advanced much in the past 50 years or so, it really has. Even though my mouth is a mess you'd never know it. I have several fillings and even 2 crowns, but I'm not in serious jeopardy of loosing major teeth.

Unfortunately, I'm under 20, and I'm starting to wonder how many of my fillings will have to be re-drilled and re-done over the course of my life, as well as how many of my teeth will ultimately end up capped. Guess we'll see.

*bonus fact*
You'd never know it after meeting me (har har) but I have a small mouth, so for orthodontics to work properly they had to take out 4 teeth besides, and in addition to removing my wisdom teeth, so aside from having a half dozen fillings, I'm 4 teeth short of a full complement.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have a terrible gag reflex. Not as bad as when I was younger though. My teeth haven't been too bad, just two problems and those were the same teeth that I had to have fixed as a child. I do have a small cavity that doesn't have to be worked on since it's not through the enamel, and hopefully never will be.
I have to be anal about my tooth care. I had radiation treatment a few months ago for a cancerous tumor on the side of my face. One of the side effects is that the blood to my jawbone is reduced so that if I ever need dental work there is the possibility of osteo-radio-necrosis. Bone death. And of course the removal of the parotid gland (one of the large salivary glands) reduced the amount of saliva in my mouth, which in turn increases the chances of getting cavities.
I'm supposed to be using a flouride gel everyday to reduce the chances. It also helps reduce tooth sensitivity. Perhaps you could get your dentist to prescribe some. I was using GelCam, bit it's too sickly sweet for me (glycerin based), and caused me to gag. That's mostly mental though, from when I had a screwed up sense of taste during the radiation treatments. There is another type, using stanneous floruide that isn't supposed to have that taste, but can stain the teeth.
You can also try the ACT flouride rinse. I've been using that for a while too. Rinse for a minute, and then don't eat or drink anything for at least half an hour. I use it multiple times a day (I don't use the gel enough, so I try to make up for it with the rinse even though it's not nearly as strong), along with much flossing and brushing.
Also make sure your mouth is always moist. Sip water if you get dry mouth. Biotene is another mouthwash that is supposed to help combat dry mouth.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel your pain. Seven years ago, spent $1200 plus on root canal with post and crown. Last month found out enough decay had gotten underneath crown that tooth could not reliably be saved so had it yanked and now face a permanent bridge and this expenditure is going to cost nearly $1500. So almost three grand spent on one tooth.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
While I don't have any problems with a gag reflex or any fear of the dentist, I have another big problem-I simply can't afford to go to the dentist regularly. About 10 years ago I had lots of work done (several crowns, 1 bridge, some fillings). I needed over $7000 worth of work because I hadn't been to a dentist since college. Well, I haven't been to a dentist since I had all that work. The filling in one of my molars looks like it's starting to go, and I might have a few other problems, although most of my work looks intact. Still, I'll dread going to the dentist, assuming the time comes that I can even afford to, because I'm sure the bill will be four figures.

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Thanks for your comments and suggestions folks!

I'm guessing that eating a fair amount of candy, cookies etc and drinking Coke over the last couple of weeks may have contributed to the reason why my tooth decayed(?). However, I made a point of drinking water and/or milk and then chewing gum after I'd finished eating. I would then brush my teeth ASAP afterwards.

But, I occassionally gag while brushing my teeth, and this tends to make me stop brushing altogether for that session. So my teeth may not be cleaned as thoroughly as they should be.

I think the moral of this saga is that one should brush their teeth THOROUGHLY, and as soon as possible after eating. This applies particularly when eating sweets (candy, cake, cookies, puddings etc).

And I'm still highly brassed off!! Only two molars left on lower right!! :rant:

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm an uber gagger. I used Valium before a visit. It worked very well. Now more teeth need to be pulled and I go to an oral surgen that knocks me out. That works even better.