Looking for a good light for security work

bumpus

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'll be starting a new security job next week that requires me to carry a flashlight. I'm looking for advice on what to carry. Price won't matter, but it needs to be fairly small, as in Surefire 6P size or thereabouts. Rechargeable would be nice, but not a requirement, as I don't mind picking up 123 batteries for use. Anyway, I'd love to hear some suggestions from some of you experts! And I do apologize for being away from the forum for so long. Life gets in the way sometime, you know?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I would consider a good incandescent, with an LED as backup.

A Streamlight Strion would be good for the primary use. Rechargable, powerful beam, lasts about 40 - 50 minutes on a charge, small size, good throw.

For backup, the Fenix L1P can't be beat, or a Nuwai Q3, pocketable and still bright enough to be quite useful.
On the LED side,

greenLED

Flashaholic
Strion? small, rechargable, powerful beam
Pila lights (GL2 or GL3)? small, rechargeable or primaries, powerful beams

Welcome back

C4LED

Enlightened
One inexpensive choice is the Brinkman Maxfire LX (x2 123's). It goes for about $17 at T@rget.

It's not as high in quality as the Surfires, but is a good bang for the buck.

I've heard that some police officers use these. Also, don't know if it'll take rechargables.

Here's a review.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/brinkmann_maxfirelx.htm

Note that it appears that Quickbeam has updated the numbers on the Brinkman. It now rates as having more throw and output than the Surefire G2. Also, keep in mind that bulb housing replacements are only around $5 for the Brinkman as compared to around $30 for the SF G2.

Surefire G2 Review:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_g2.htm

Last edited:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwai tm115 2x cr123 light.
It comes with a 2 stage switch, is focussable with a good beam and comes with a large enough duty belt carry pouch.
One of the armed patrol officers at the company I work for, carries one of these and he loves it.
On low it is perfect for writing reports in the dark.
On high, it's just right for looking down a dark alley from a safe distance.
I still have one left if you want it with a stock TX1K bin led.
Drop me an email on what you want and I might could make it happen, as I have worked security for over 4 years in some of the rotten'est places.
I would also suggest a backup light that is easy to carry just in case one fails for no apparent reason.
I never show up to work with less than 2 flashlights.

CLHC

Flashaholic
bumpus said:
I'm looking for advice on what to carry. Price won't matter, but it needs to be fairly small, as in Surefire 6P size or thereabouts. Rechargeable would be nice, but not a requirement, as I don't mind picking up 123 batteries for use.

Like the others already mentioned here—The Streamlight Strion would be a good choice for rechargeable. Also the Streamlight Scorpion.

You can't go wrong with products from SureFire such as: E2e, E2d, E2L, 6P, 6Z, G2, G2Z—if that's the size requirement that you want. You could get the SF6P and leave it as is and then get the SFG2 for back-up with the 3W LED drop-in that can be had from BugOut that everyone's talking about.

Anyhou, hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
For main working light, I'd recommend a Surefire 8Ax or 8NX (AX aluminium, NX Nitrolon). I have one of each, and 5 battery sticks, which give 110 lumens for 50 minutes. The kit with the light has mains and vehicle adapters for the battery charger.

As a backup, any 2 or 3 cell lithium powered Surefire !
:touche:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what you're doing. Do you need to blind intruders, or just be a helpful security guy. Sometime a subtle light is very useful.. I like my inova x1. It is cheap and durable and puts out a distinct beam, with no sidespill to distract people.

Or you may need something brighter, of which there are many options.

RR2AA can be found at target, takes 2AA batts, and projects a really bright beam. Reverse clicky sucks, though.

bumpus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the good suggestions everyone. Greenlight, this won't be a blinding intruders type of job:) But there will be times I'll need a long throw because I know we'll be doing vehicle patrols, and some of the corporate sites will have some rather large parking lots where a strong light might come in handy. Granted, you can only get so powerful in the smaller lights.

EDIT: By the way, greenLED, thanks for the welcome. It's good to be back, even if I am a lurker more than a poster:p

Wrangler

Enlightened
As Lunal_Tic mentioned already, the Streamlight TL3 Xenon with two 17500`s or two Pila 150`s will be the best thrower in this size!
For backup a Streamlight TaskLight 2-L 3 Watt with it`s 2-stage switch or one of the multi-switched Nuwai Led`s will do nicely!

Geologist

Enlightened
RAF_Groundcrew said:
For main working light, I'd recommend a Surefire 8Ax or 8NX (AX aluminium, NX Nitrolon). I have one of each, and 5 battery sticks, which give 110 lumens for 50 minutes. The kit with the light has mains and vehicle adapters for the battery charger.

As a backup, any 2 or 3 cell lithium powered Surefire !
:touche:

I agree with the 8Ax or 8NX or a SF C3. You can use rechargable Cells in the SF C3 as well (Pila 150S or equiv) or primaries when necessary. Normal and High Output Bulbs available.

Stick to 100+ lumens for security work.

Good luck and welcome to CPF!