Modded headlamp suggestions and corrections

gearfreak

Newly Enlightened
Finally come up with a design for my adventure racing headlamp- before I start ordering parts if anyone has corrections/suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Based off a Petzl micro headlamp modded with:
Single 5W- WWOT LED

Driven by a uflex driver and a 4.8ah 11.1V Lithium Ion battery pack from Batteryspace. With careful use of high power this should get me through a couple of nights racing.

As pointed out in another thread my biggest problem will be heatsinking, the current plan is to use a strip of thin copper plate to transfer the heat from the slug back to a row of cut down computer chip heatsinks on the top of the headlamp case (10 square cm's footprint- surface area?).

Thanks to all those who have posted their projects and information on the board they answered a lot of my questions and hopefully put me on the right track :grin2:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
better use a Zoom (if the battery pack fits inside the compartment on back)

This way You could use a much bigger heatsink inside the lamp body + outside You could mount Your heatsink instead (on back, where the spare lamp sits) .
Of course You would have to drill a (some) large hole(s) for some aluminium stud to transfer the inside heat to the sink.

gearfreak

Newly Enlightened
yellow said:
better use a Zoom
I was going the micro to keep size down, but I am thinking your right, and it will be easier to mount the necessary heatsinks on a zoom. Won't use the battery holder though as I prefer to have that weight in my pack.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
gearfreak said:
Won't use the battery holder though as I prefer to have that weight in my pack.
Then You are cartainly right with the micra.
Maybe cut away the upper part of the batt-compartment (and parts of the sides also) and use a cut-fit heatsink extending up.
Then it would be directly in airflow. Should work great.
(but then the elements might cause problems)

Sorry for the idea, without using the zoom back battery compartment, changing to a zoom would not make sense.

cy

Flashaholic
will this setup give you enough lumens to do the job?

gearfreak

Newly Enlightened
cy said:
will this setup give you enough lumens to do the job?
Hopefully yes - if I don't get the optics too wrong.

To put it in perspective a lot of people are racing with Petzl myo's or single 3W custom setups, and I have previously got away with a single 5W halogen vistalite. In this application run-time ranks higher than lumens - both would be nice of course :)