Recommendation of cheap mod for this light? (2D)

InfidelCastro

Banned
I have a large rubber gripped Garrity 2D flashlight with a Philips KPR102 bulb. I like the grip and durability of this light very much. It's probably about ten years old or so. It's 2.4V .7A rated. I was wondering if there's an incandescent lamp out that will produce more light for an equivalent or even slightly reduced runtime?

I believe the bulb is what people refer to as "potted", so the bulb I get will have to be potted. I don't know if LED's come in this configuration, but I might be interested in purchasing a Red or White potted LED for this light as well.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you. :)

InfidelCastro

Banned
Thanks, that's a very cool sight. I didn't mention in the previous post, but for an incandescent bulb, I'd like to stay with 2D's rather than 6 AA's. I'm just wondering if there's a better bulb out there staying in that configuration.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option would be a 3 cell Luxeon LED in the 2D host with 3 C cells.

I got a couple of the Craftsman 3xAAA lights with the PR-base bulbs. Put one bulb in a stock 3D Mag and put one (for now) in a uber cheap 2D plastic light I got from Walmart for $.97.

It's just kind of funny how folks that are used to cheap 2D lights look at this thing since it's so bright and so white and has such a smooth beam and looks like any other POS light.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm still a newbie at this. I read somewhere that one of the members got an incandescent bulb at RadioShack at it worked out fine for his usage. If that is of any help! ? ! ?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think any of the stock 2 cell PR base LED replacement bulbs are as bright as a good KPR incan bulb. The KPR102 is probably the brightest easily available bulb for a 2 cell flashlight.

In order of increasing price LED PR bulbs:

PR2-W1-WVR LED FlashLight bulb from superbrightleds 10mm 1/2 watt LED
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=LIGHTS&cart_id=4197839.24318

terralux_quadstar. 4 x 3mm LED
http://www.pocketlights.com/terralux_quadstar.asp
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_bulbs.htm
NOTE: The new quadstar is much brighter than the model reviewed. 16 instead of 7 lumens.

Tektite LPR-2™ *1 watt Luxeon side-emitter
http://www.led-replacement.com/2_maglite.html
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/tektite_lpr-3.htm

EverLED Lambertian 1 watt Luxeon dome available in red as well as white
http://www.ledsupply.com/lamb-everled.html
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/everled.htm
http://ledlights.home.att.net/everleds.htm

NOTE: It is usually cheaper to buy a brand new LED light than to buy a replacement bulb that may or MAY NOT work properly with an existing flashlight.
LEDs are polarity sensitive. Some lights are wired backwards and will not work with most LED bulbs.
LED dies are not always the same distance from the flange as the filament. If your light does not have focussing ability, an unfocussed beam (donut hole) can result.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can say with authority that I've tried the Craftsman 3xAAA Luxeon bulb in several PR-based lights and everyone has had a pleasing beam. I think I may even have a flashlight like IC is talking of... Sort of thick and bulky black rubber with (I think) a silver on/off switch. I bought mine in a 2-pack that also came with a 2xAA light that looked like a scaled-down version of it.

For something to go in a tool box, I'd personally definately lean towards an Luxeon of some sort. The only incandescent options I can think of for improving the output would be to use a 3 cell bulb on 3 C cells.

InfidelCastro

Banned
LEDninja said:
I do not think any of the stock 2 cell PR base LED replacement bulbs are as bright as a good KPR incan bulb. The KPR102 is probably the brightest easily available bulb for a 2 cell flashlight.

Ok, that's pretty much what I was wondering, thanks.

cratz, mine is similiar to that, but I doubt it's the same light. It has a clicky tailcap. There's no silver on it, it's yellow and black. It has a company logo on it for a brand that my dad used to sell at work. It's not a very new flashlight, but it's neat I think.

legtu

Enlightened
Try the XPR102... It's definitely 'whiter', if not brighter than the KPR. ;)

InfidelCastro

Banned
legtu said:

Excellent! Thank you, I'll definately check it out. Maybe Target or Walmart stocks it.

What kind of lifetime to Xenons have on regular D cell batteries? Still pretty short?

Bhustan

Newly Enlightened
I recently put 3Xcr123's into a section of 5/8" heater hose and installed a 5 cell Mag Krypton bulb into a cheapo Ray-O-Vac Industrial light that I one as a door prize at the Holiday Party at work last year. It has pretty nice white output and is a total sleeper. It's now my "I don't care if I break it" light for garage duty. Oh yeah, I had to mod the spring a little to get it to work, but it turned out pretty good.

Not sure if this might work in your light, but it's at least an idea for a bright incan....

Peace,
Mike

InfidelCastro

Banned
legtu said:

I picked up a pack of two replacement bulbs for my 2D's tonight. I went to Sears and picked up the Dorcy 2D Xenon 2.4V .93A as recommended in another thread and it's great! Seems like it's twice as bright as the old bulb with more sidespill too. I'm happy. And it only cost $2.99 to upgrade two different 2D lights. :)

pizzaman

Enlightened
"What kind of lifetime to Xenons have on regular D cell batteries?"

If my memory serves, and RadioShack's specs are to be believed, They rate the krypton bulbs around 16hrs and the xenon bulbs around 32hrs.

Xenon is the ticket.

TR

InfidelCastro

Banned
Cool. It'll be nice to have in my glove box to look at addresses at night instead of using my G2 all the time with its expensive batteries and lamp. What kind of lights do you use pizzaman? I have the River Rock 2AAA clipped in my left pocket, a Surefire G2 in my coat and the Rayovac 2D (sort of a nice one, not the super cheap ones) in the glove box.

Someday I plan on modding a 3D Mag, but then I'll have to make some kind of holster for the car since it won't fit in the glove box. I'm not even sure a 2D Mag will fit in there.

pizzaman

Enlightened
"What kind of lights do you use pizzaman?"

I was afraid somebody might ask this. Where do I start?

Right pocket: Arc AAA-P on key chain, lithium batt. (Replacing Gerber Sonic with lithium batt).

Left pocket: Felix L1P v2.5, w/ modified Gerber Infinity pocket clip. Lithium batt.

Coat pocket: When I need more HorsePower, Surfire A2.

Vehicles: Dorcy 3D 1w in maglight holder. EverReady e2 batts. Throw/work light.
Vehicles: 2 AA mini-mag with nite-ize LED upgrade. Lithium batts. Map light.
Vehicles: 12v cig lighter plug in spot light.

Tool box: Cyclops w/clear contact paper lens diffuser. May upgrade to UK LED bulb assembly for longer run time.

House: 3D maglite with 4C cells and a RadioShack XPR103 bulb. Contact paper lens diffuser.

Walk around house at night: Gerber Infinity on paracord lanyard.

Throw: Lumilite Z-lite 6v lantern w/XPR103 bulb.
Thow: Dorcy 4D lantern w/XPR103 bulb.

Utility: Military angle-head 2D flashlight. Remove bezel extension. Contact paper lens diffuser. Xenon bulb. Will upgrade to EverLED side emitter when the prices come down.

All lights get treated to silicone spray inside and in switches (no petroleum distillates). Electrical anti-oxidant grease on all electrical contacts, including battery ends and bulb end. I haven't had to shake a flashlight or wiggle the switch in years to get instant full power light.

Add to this I have a box full of various incandescent mag-lights, Rayovacs, EverReadys, etc, that never get used.

HOLY CRAP! I'm a flashlight GEEK!!! :sssh:

TR

InfidelCastro

Banned
The light.

light.jpg

The bulbs. (should read .93A, damn flash)

bulbs.jpg

Latest posts