Introductory flashlight for Parents.

Krenn

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an introductory flashlight that meets certain specs:

roughly 20 Lumen output
Wide throw
Relativly flat output over time curve
reliable.
rechargable batteries, either built-in, or a battery type that has common rechargable versions available.
long battery life.

less than $50.

two-mode brightness is a plus, as is increased brightness overall, but those are not neccessary.

cslinger

Enlightened
By wide throw do you mean flood or lots of throw???

I have bought many an Inova X5 for people including my parents. It makes a heck of a house light. Great runtime, although not regulated, very floody, plenty of useable light for the average task. My Dad loved it.

Chris

Krenn

Newly Enlightened
i mean lots of flood.

$50 is my top price, although I would prefer too buy two identical for 25 each.

jkuo13

Newly Enlightened
Seems to me like some Xnova 8 led lights would be a good fit. They're cheap and supposed to have a fairly smooth, wide beam. Runs off of 1 AA battery.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the recent XNovas are absolutely brighter than the Inova X5, I think for nice gifts for loved ones, the Inova is the way to go... It still provides plenty of light for almost all in-house, indoor tasks and is in a wonderfully finished package whereas the XNovas are... uh... better suited as 'giveaways' rather than actual gifts. The Inovas are available at Target for $30 or $35 so are close to your budget and you could avoid shipping.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd be considering the UK 4AA eLED. It seems to meet the specs and would be an easily acceptable light for the non-flashaholic.

Geoff

wwglen

Enlightened
Also the yellow color and larger (but not to large) size will make it easier for them to find.

wwglen

Flame

Newly Enlightened
If you have a Sam's Club nearby you might try the Element. Its a 1 watt LED using three each AAA batteries. Very impressive for the price. You have to bye a package of 2, but the package is only 26 bucks. It has about 25 Lumens with a nice hot spot and pretty good spill also. You could get the rechargeable AAA batteries if you like. Sorry only one brightness setting. Way less than your 50 dollar budget.

Good luck!

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
Flame said:
If you have a Sam's Club nearby you might try the Element.

Another vote for the Element. I gave one to my Mother, and she really likes it. Very bright, with good spill. I only use AAA rechargeables in my Elements, and they perform well. I don't know how long the batteries last if really put to the test, but I have only run mine down noticeably one time - when it was accidentally left on inside my laptop bag. Good switch, good hand size, common batteries, and cheap.

Melven

Newly Enlightened
Another vote also for the element. I was wowed by one of the elements I got, it is the brightest flashlight I have.

wwglen

Enlightened
Fenix is great but too small to be an introduction flashlight.

wwglen

Geologist

Enlightened
I would give a vote for the Ghost II (carried by a number of dealers here at CPF). Price is under 10 bucks (depending on where you order and how many you order). 12 Leds, runs off AA (any kind). Good output (maybe to wuite 20 lumens). Very good build quality for a Chinese made light - even flashlightreviews.com gave it 4 stars!

Grubbster

Enlightened
Another vote for the Element. Nice light with a familiar form factor for the masses. Nicely binned leds; mostly Q or R.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Spectrum said:
Another vote for the Element. I gave one to my Mother, and she really likes it. Very bright, with good spill. I only use AAA rechargeables in my Elements, and they perform well. I don't know how long the batteries last if really put to the test, but I have only run mine down noticeably one time - when it was accidentally left on inside my laptop bag. Good switch, good hand size, common batteries, and cheap.

Only drawback of giving an Element to a senior is the battery carrier inside. They may find it perplexing or impossible to change out the batteries.

I'd recommend the SL 4AA ProPoly Lux or a UK 4AA flashlight.

onthebeam

Enlightened
The Element is indeed great. You can keep one and give the other one as a gift. I would guess it's quite a bit brighter than 20 lumens though. Has anyone measured???

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
onthebeam said:
The Element is indeed great. You can keep one and give the other one as a gift. I would guess it's quite a bit brighter than 20 lumens though. Has anyone measured???

I have no means to measure output, but to my eyes, the Element is comparable to my Fenix L1P (which is rated at 46 lumens). This is with nimh batteries in both of the lights.

baker

Last edited: