Moving to Germany--help

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been given an opportunity to move to and work in Landstuhl Regional Army Medical Center, Germany for 3 years this upcoming Spring.

It means leaving behind my house and home, my friends at work and a fairly nice working environment. I'd have to move from here eventually--we had expected to stay here for 2-3 more years before the Army decided to uproot us.
My wife is working on obtaining a transfer to get over there a few months after I would.

We're thinking of renting out our house during that time and putting most of our things into storage. We may decide to return to the area after this move, but that's all dependent on the military. Due to the govt's base realignment and closures, we're expecting 8,000 additional troops in the next two years. We're just south of Colorado Springs and just to the east of Ft. Carson, so we're hoping that getting a renter will not be difficult.

My one big concern is what to do with my vehicle.
help.gif

We wanted to sell my wife's car before moving and get a new one in Germany, but we're debating on what to do with my '04 Toyota 4Runner Limited.

The military allows free transport, but I honestly don't know if it would be worth it to just sell mine as well. It's not yet 2 years old, we still owe 3 years on it. What I could get in it's place for the remaining amount could be a very nice car.

With the price of gas, the premium for parking, better public transportation and not needing to haul things to the house, a small car seems to make more sense. The only thing I can think of is transporting my road and mountain bikes on my 4Runner's hitch rack. Are hitch racks even legal over there?

If we wind up buying two cars over there, what do we do when we get ready to return to the states? Can I take a European spec vehicle back to the states? Do I have to pay a butload of taxes? What about leasing a car for the 3 years so I don't have to worry about it?

I have no idea if we'd be living on the military post or somewhere in the surrounding area. I'm assuming that we'd be in a small 2 bedroom apartment or very small house. If anyone has any pointers on that, let me know.

thanks.gif

Sorry if these questions seem so silly, but pretty much everyone I work with and around have been only stationed outside the US in places like Korea, Iraq and such (and had govt vehicles if any at all).
<
<

chrisse242

Enlightened
flownosaj said:
The only thing I can think of is transporting my road and mountain bikes on my 4Runner's hitch rack. Are hitch racks even legal over there?

Can't say much about the other questions, but if a hitch rack is a rack that is mounted to the back of the car, they are legal over here.
I acutally don't see a reason for selling a nearly new car if you can get transport for free. Yes, gas prices are high over here, and I don't know how much gas your car needs.
Of course leasing is an option, it's not like we are living behind the moon. :laughing:

Chrisse

Makarov

Enlightened
I don't know how it's in Germany, but here in Norway they don't sell 4Runner's(I think it's made specific for the US market), so they have to be imported, and claim a premium price. If this is true for Germany as well I guess that you could always sell it there if you thought it was too expensive to use.
(Guess you have to pay import tax if you sell it in Germany though)

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If you buy a car while in Germany make sure it will meet US pollution regulations or you could have a hard time getting it into the US.

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
I have lived in the Ramstein/Landstuhl/Kaiserslautern Area for most time of my life.
There is a huge US Military community (If I recall correct, the largest outside the US).
US Military folks can literally live without leaving the Bases. US shops, car sales, Gas stations (!), ... almost everything one could think of.
People get support from the military community and German volounteers.
There is also a housing office assisting in renting houses and flats outside the base...

Generally speaking, US troops are very welcome in Germany and especially in this Area. Depending on your Rank, you can have a very good living over here.

Bringing your own car is rather common. When you leave, you can still decide whether to ship it abroad again or to sell it in Germany (or, tax free, on the base)...

Finally, don't forget to shoot me a Mail when you are here and I'll show you around a little!

Take care,
Holger

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
no matter what the other considerations, if you have a chance to travel overseas you should do so (excepting war zones of course). I have been trying to get to Germany, Scotland, and Spain for several years now but I'm a civilian so it's gotta be on my own ticket <grin>.

Really that's about all I can say on the matter.

Geologist

Enlightened
If you decide to buy a vehicle while in Germany, you can order US or European Specs. A lot of Americans buy Volvos while in Germany as they are the best "savings" due to imort taxes, etc (so I've heard). If you are working for the US Military, then you will have the abilty to shop tax free in Germany (for expesnive items and cars you will not have to pay the 16% sales tax). You can buy American branded cars on the bases, but by the time they add all the fees, it is almost cheaper to buy in CONUS and ship over with you. As far as having a bigger car in Germany, it is mainly an issue when you are in the cities. You can buy fuel coupons on the American Bases - current price is about $0.73 USD/ liter. Again the fuel price is a bit inflated from US averages, ESPECIALLY when there are no taxes involved, but still cheaper than the fuel in Europe which is about double the price. If you and your wife are coming seperately, then make sure the transportation agreements specify about the cars.

On another note, I am not sure if you are a Civilian or Servicemember. If you are granted off post housing, take advantage of it and enjoy the time you are here!

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me!

Deanster

Enlightened
Hi - former US diplomat stationed in Germany here. The gas coupons take a lot of the sting of gas prices out, but a 4Runner isn't a great vehicle for Germany - too big for the cities, too heavy and slow for the Autobahn.

While the conversion to meet TUV (german safety agency) specifications isn't too onerous (fog lamp, side turn signal repeaters, a couple other things), it is a bit of a pain (though usually a couple of the local employees at the motor pool run a side business doing this for newly arrived Americans).

Buying over there is a mixed bag - you can end up with an OK deal (not a lot of amazing deals to be had, especially if you're getting paid in dollars), and a cool car.

Honestly, if I were in your situation, I'd probably try to swap my Toyota for a Volkswagen Jetta or similar mid-sized 'drivers' car before I left, and then have it shipped.

One of the greatest pleasures of my life was touring Europe by car when I lived there - my wife and I would pack the car nearly every Thursday night, she'd pick me up at 4pm on Friday, and we'd be in France, Austria, Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands or Italy by bedtime. I don't really miss Germany all that much (a little too tightly wound for my taste), but I truly miss whizzing down the Autobahn at 100mph, on my way to a little Inn in some small European town to have an outstanding dinner and evening with my wife.

Take or acquire at least one 'drivers' car - it'll change your life.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the "welcomes" my euroflashaholfriends and those that have seen this kind of thing before.

I should hear in the next two weeks if this is a done deal or not. If it all works out to plan, this should be an excelent opportunity for me (and the mizzus). I'm looking forward to seeing and doing much more, but each big change in my life causes a certian amount of anxiety to raise to the surface.

Call it fear of the unknown.:sweat:

I'm still kicking around the whole vehicle thing.

We should probably sell my wife's Passat before we leave as it is getting old. I like the way it drives, so maybe another VW is on the "to get" list.
The 4Runner is a brick on wheels. A nible brick compared to most trucks and SUVs that I've driven, but a brick nonetheless. Maybe my brick could be a local driver to get me to work and her new zippy car could be the :wow: :rock: :broke: car that I always get to drive her around in.

I'm going to have to start asking around to see if there are any good property management groups for my house.

more later, I gotta :sleepy:

chrisse242

Enlightened
flownosaj said:
We should probably sell my wife's Passat before we leave as it is getting old. I like the way it drives, so maybe another VW is on the "to get" list.

Uhh, maybe that's just me, but I hate VW's. My mother had golfs as long as I can think and not one of them was a really good car.
If I had to buy a new car now, it would most definitly be a toyota. I've seen a lot of those that friends of mine had, and they where built like tanks. I couldn't think of any abuse they wouldn't withstand.

Chrisse

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I live in the Heidelberg area and am a Dept. of the Army civilian. My family and I have lived here since 1997, so have some experience with some of your questions. If you are in the military, you will have the opportunity to live in base housing, or receive a housing allowance and live on the economy. I live on the German economy and love it. You get a much better experience that way, but the base housing can be more convenient. Depending on your rank and number of dependents, you can get a very nice house or apartment. The housing allowance is pretty generous.

You will have the chance to buy a US or European spec car while you are here. I own a BMW 323i and VW Passat variant, both US spec. The biggest advantage is you don't pay sales tax on the cars, but the discount may not be as much as a Stateside dealer. There are many used cars for sale in the Stars and Stripes newspaper. You can check out listings on www.estripes.com. It will also have local news and stories. Parking spots in Germany as well as most of Europe are smaller than in the States. If you really don't need a big SUV or 4WD vehicle, don't bring it. Your wallet will thank you at the end of the month when you are buying your gas coupons. You may also want to consider a diesel car. Europe has so well tuned their diesel cars that they approach the fuel economy of the hybrid cars.

If you have more questions, shoot me a PM, and I'll give you my home email address and work DSN phone number. I think you will love Germany and enjoy your stay here. Viel spass! (Have fun!)

RadarGreg

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason- did you re-enlist or will you be working there as a civvy contractor? Just curious :)

sid

Newly Enlightened
DONT SELL THAT CAR!!!!!

i live in germany, i drive a toyota truck (longbed), and it isnt to big!! neverhad any problems.
right know i am looking for an 4Runner, first or second GEN, dont know witch one i should take...

anyway, ur 4runner is here more worth than in the states!! they dont sell the new runners overhere!!
if u need help in germany with the 4runner, or want to sell it, go to www.buschtaxi.de they will help u.

oh, dont buy a VW...

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolfen--I'm currently an Army civillian employee in the Army hospital ICU here. My plan was to get back into the Army as an officer. Months after I was accepted into the nurse corps, I have not yet sworn in because of issues with my contract. Part of the problem is getting my wife (who is active Army) to be stationed with me. She's highly specialized so finding a job for her is a little harder than finding me one. Funy they couldn't find me a position in the same ICU that I already work in
mad.gif

This most recent contract go-around has guaranteed me a 3 year stint at LRMC--now they're working on getting her there as well. We'll see what they have to say next week.

I have it pretty good as an Army civillian and a dependent of my Army officer wife. A lot of people think this is a bad career move, but I think the benifits of getting back in outweighs the many drawbacks for me--as long as the govt meets my demands, of course
yellowlaugh.gif

The funny thing is, once my wife accepts the transfer, we'll be going to Germany even if I decide not to get back into the Army.
tongue.gif

RadarGreg--I'm assuming that you work telecommunications for the govt? How big of a change was it for you compared to living in the States?

Chrisse--The Passat has been the nicest car that I've owned so far, but that's not counting very many (and most of mine were junk). It has needed it's fair share of work done, but it's always started up and driven nicely. A more "sporty" car would be nice, but I think that it would be out of our budget unless we get an older one.

Sid--You'd like my 4Runner. Aftermarket intake and exhaust. JDM taillights. Single tube pushbar with mounted foglights. Functional rear fogs. All I need now are Revos to match my V8 4x4 and I'll have an excelent trail rig that's still street worthy. I'd really hate to sell it, but I doubt I'd get much use out of it over there.
awman.gif

Although speeding along at 120 mph in a mercedes would be nice
evilgrin07.gif

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are driving around in cities in an SUV, your parking experience will be quite frustrating.
Also the car will be too slow - since you can't drive it fast, and if you drive it fast, your GAS bill explodes. I would rather get a nice driver car as suggested before.
Oh and when you travel, check out Switzerland....

sid

Newly Enlightened
flow

if u dicide to take that car, than contact me!
u cant do a lot hardcore offroading here, but u can make trips through the alps, and in spain/italy that will be unforgetable!! if u go east (poland,cech, and countrys like that) u can make also beautiful trips where 4x4 is needed.

i have driven often 250kmh (200SX,and BMW325I) but thats something u cant do alot, to many @ssholes and dumb people on the autobahn.
and dont Forget that an fast car also needs a lot of gas!!

take the 4runner and have a different car, everyone has a mercedes or a BMW here, thats nothing spacial ;)

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife's Army branch manager called--they can't find her a position in Germany.

No job position for her means that I won't be taking that position in Germany.
awman.gif

If I still decide to go on with my plan, there are very few hospitals in which we can be stationed together. The three that were offered yesterday suck big-time and don't even have what positions I wanted.
mad.gif