UnderArmour - worth the cost?

Malpaso

Enlightened
I just got an email from LAPoliceGear.com with sale pricing on UnderArmour. I'm curious about the Cold Gear. The stuff still seems pricey, as compared to say the LLBean River Driver shirt. I know it's much lighter, and supposed newer/better technology, but I have a hard time with the price. I am a big proponent of "you get what you pay for", but... Any comments from those who have tried UnderArmour?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. The Cold Gear ones will keep you QUITE warm!

I don't know anything about the other brands...Underarmor is expensive, but is really nice.

JM-99

wwglen

Enlightened
Wal-Mart and Target sell under armor clone shirts in both long and short sleve in the $10-$15 range ($5-$7 on clearence).

At walmart they are both in the mens section by the sweat suits and in the sporting goods section by the team sports clothing.

I am not sure where they are in Target except that they are in the Boys section (I was looking for a shirt for my son's camping trip).

wwglen

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard that the Underarmor stuff is good but I have no first hand experience. Maybe I'll try some when I get done dropping 30 lbs and look more like the models on their page <grin>.

(seriously though, 10lb down, 30 to go! I'll recover from this abdominal surgery yet! :rock: )

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having jumped on the Underarmour train 6 years ago, and having tried just about all the clones since trying to find a cheaper alternative, including Nike, Adidas, Russell, the Wal-mart knockoffs, etc., I can testify that the Underarmour goods are the best.

I have two teenage sons, one now playing college football after 6 years wearing Underarmour for football, and another who has worn it through 5 seasons. In addition, my wife and daugthers wear the ColdGear and HotGear versions to work out.

The clones work, but they tear more easily, and do not stand up to the abuse the originals take.

As far as the ColdGear versions go, I like them better than traditional LongJohns, or even silk versions. They seem to retain heat better, while allowing moisture to evaporate more easily, keeping you from the wet and cold situation that happens with vigorous outdoor activity.

I currently have Coldgear and AllSeason gear that is 4-5 years old and still in great shape.

The ONE drawback to Underarmour style gear, and to all of the clones, is that that microfiber can snag and run easily, so going up against rough, abrasive surfaces can snag the material. It doesn't seem to compromise the use, just the looks, though. If you wear it under a cotton/wool shirt, that problem is no longer a problem.

Shop for the best price, especially at stores like Big5 and ****s, where sales, though infrequent, can save you some money.

Bill

Malpaso

Enlightened
Bwaites - thanks, that's exactly the type of review I was looking for.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 6 shirts from UnderArmour, 2 each of Cold gear crew neck long sleeve, loosegear, and heatgear crew neck.

I only had the run issue with the loosegear since it is usually the only shirt I wear alone (although not often.) The heat gear and cold gear are worn usually under a camoflauge top.

After having heat and cold gear in Iraq between the two temperature extremes (110+ days in the summer and ~20 degree days in the winter and the great 80s in the day and 30s in the nights during the fall/spring), and only being washed every 3rd or 4th wear, I love them. The heatgear kept me cooler during the summer under the kevlar vest with ceramic plates (when compared to the regular poly cotton blens), and during the winter all I wore was the coldgear for an insulation layer. It kepts the heat in while not causing one to be too hot.

I wore my coldgear long sleeves a few times since its ~40 degrees and just threw a t-shirt and jacket shell over myself and it has kept me warm and allowed me to stay light weight in terms of layers and having the ability to adjust myself to the warmer interiors of heated buildings. I don't have to deal with bulky sweaters (only have 3 or 4) or huge puffy jackets (have none of those, only shells and liners.)

I paid ~$40 per cold gear long sleeve shirt, and the heatgear/loosegear was apart of a group buy from the service and only cost me like $12-$15 each. (only available in olive drab though.) Worth every penny in my opinion. It was a want that turned into a need.

No holes have developed in mine yet after ~1 year+ and they have been through regular washes, bucket washes, and sometimes not even washed for a week at a time. They have held up well compared to some of my destroyed blended t-shirts which pretty much stretch out and become uncomfortable due to bunching up and scratching. The tightness of some of these shirts warrants a healthier in shaper body unless you wear it as a base layer.

I workout in Nike Dri-fit due to being a slimmer cut than loosegear but looser than heatgear. Plus, the dri-fit was loike $15 or $20 at the Nike outlet store, and they match my nike sneakers.

The feel of the UA shirts are different also. Its not a bad feeling but some guys I know can't stand the feeling (a small percentage.) Most of the guys liked them a lot though. I liked mine.

I would say try some of each, and then pick which one you like the best in terms of fit/finish, feel, price, and durability. Some stuff may work for some people and others not.

Just my 2 cents,
Jason