Troubles with River Rock 2AAA

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted this originally in not2brights travel thread.
On my RR, there are problems with the tailcap.
#1, when tightening it for a constant on, the light flickers ALOT. When it's finally tightened all the way, it does not come on. It needs to be loosened a tad to come on, and then will stay on.
#2,The button for momentary doesn't work as it should. It needs to have the tailcap loosened alot to work, and even then, lots of flickering.
#3, The Lock Out isn't very good on it. To truely be locked out, it almost needs to be unscrewed!

I haven't heard any complaints from anyone about these problems yet, so maybe I got a bum light/bum tailcap?
Please respond with how your caps are working out for you.
I don't want to sound whiney over a $10 light, but it would just be so much cooler if it worked like I think it should!

jkuo13

Newly Enlightened
I'd take it back to Target and get it exchanged. It's the easiest solution.

Edit: Just had another thought. I used to have a similar problem with my streamlight batonlite. I found the problem was with the led/head assembly and not the tailcap. Assuming there's no strange gunk in the tailcap, could there be a loose connection in the head of the light? When you have the tailcap screwed too tightly, it basically knocks the connection loose to the led? Anyhow, just a random thought.:thinking:

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have three of them and ALL of them basically need to be completely unscrewed to have an essentially lock out tailcap... but they aren't really advertised as having a LOTC so...

As far as the flickering issue and not coming on when screwed all the way down... I'd take it back in a heartbeat. And Target won't give you any trouble at all if you're just wanting to swap for a working one.

InfidelCastro

Banned
The tailcap button cracked in half on mine. I think I'm gonna write them an email, only I can't seem to find anything on the web about them.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got 4 of them (2 from Advancedmart, 2 from Target). Put a little automotive bulb grease on the threads for smoothness, and all work fine.

Flicker in my old Xnovas and Inova X1 was fixed by cleaning tail contact surfaces with alcohol on a Qtip. Had to be repeated from time to time, though.

ledled

Newly Enlightened
I've seen the symptom of "tightened all the way makes light goes off" happens in all of my MXDL & other chinese flashlights.

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy with mine. It seems to work just as it should.

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Mine has been working perfectly. It wouldnt suprise me if theres a few black sheep in the bunch (as with any product)

Id say just take it back to target and exchane it. Would be the easiest thing to do.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exchange the batteries. I had exactly the same error, about a week after I bought the light. Measured the batteries (the Energizers that came with the light), looked fine. Light still flickers. Next day, light was dead, as was one of the batteries.

I put new batteries in. That was nearly a month ago, and the light still works perfectly (I don't use it that often) -- no flicker whatsoever.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for the replies, I ended up just exchaning it today, and WHOOPIE! This new one works perfect!
That tailcap was a dud. I'm in love all over again...
I'm happy places like Target,Walmart,Sams Club have such a liberal return policy.

Illuminated

Enlightened
I put a few layers of Teflon plumber's tape on the tailcap threads because I could feel some roughness while turning the cap. Smoothed out the feel of the tailcap very nicely and lasts a long time.

I have had none of the contact/flickering or other problems mentioned above...

John

eagletr235

Newly Enlightened
My advice is to purchase one when it is dark outside, and then test it before you leave the parking lot. I just bought one tonight; it was completely lifeless. The guy at the return counter said the batteries were probably dead. So, I bought some AAAs and swapped them there in front of the guy -- still dead. I got a second RR from the rack and tested it in front of the guy. This one worked great. I'm very happy with it. I popped the clip off of it and left a small scrape through the black anodized coating, though. If you remove your clip, I recommend wrapping the adjacent areas in electrical tape first for protection. The coating is not as scratch resistant as I had hoped, but the light is great so far. This will now be my new EDC light.