Gerber Infinity mod step-by-step

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is actually an e-mail response I sent to a CPF'er, and I thought it may be helpfull to others. It is just an LED upgrade and reflector polish, but in the sort of detail I would have liked before I started. My subjective performance remarks are at the bottom.

This has been discussed in a couple of other threads, but with more detail for the older CMG design. This is critical, as those I believe were all twist head switches, as opposed to the current Gerber Infinity Ultra which is a twist tailcap switch. The original CMG design had the "pill", or printed circuit board assembly, potted in an epoxy compound and crimped into the head. After prying the flange holding the pill in the head open (and I gather breaking away much of it) to free the pill, you would then have to heat and carefully pick out the epoxy before gaining access to the LED.

My job was much easier with the new Gerber, as the metal ring on which the board is mounted is just trapped between the light head and the front of the battery tube. First, I pulled the pocket clip (hat brim clip for me) by inserting a screwdriver near the front bend and jerking straight away from the tube. This exposes the joint between the head and battery tube. I then heated the joint using a hobby heat gun to about what is painfull to touch, to soften the locktite on the threads. Some folks baggie and boil the unit for this. I then grabbed the two halves with leather work gloves and unscrewed them, without damage to either.

Now the pill will drop out with a push on the led, usually, only an o-ring at the base of the reflector is holding the LED a bit. The white thing on the bottom of the pill is a shock buffer to prevent damage to the board from the battery mass if it is dropped hard on the bezel, it just picks out of the back of the metal ring. Now you can see the solder points for the LED leads. There is a bit of black goo at the base of the LED, but it won't give much resistance. Just alternate hitting each solder point while pulling the LED from the other side, and in this fashion you can rock the old one out. Then take your upgrade LED (I used one of Grumpy's Nichia CS's from the group buy) and match that offset in each leg, hemos or small needlenose are best, then trim to length. It's difficult to reverse the process used to remove the LED, so do yourself a favor and get the solder out of those holes. Some have said pulling another wire through hot will do it, the best is de-soldering braid from Radio Shack, which will wick it out. I had none and put a cut LED lead in a Dremel chuck and used it like a drill. Now you can test fit the LED and make sure there is minimal excess lead sticking through - the leads and solder will fit in the two pockets in that white shock buffer. Put the little heat shrink tubing bits from the old LED leads on the new leads, push the LED in for the last time and solder on the back side. Make sure to get the polarity right, or you'll be back to this step. The smaller of the two pieces inside the LED goes to the hole in the board marked "+". Then, as they say, assembly is in the reverse order, BUT:

Do yourself a favor before putting the pill back, if you are both patient and want the most out of the mod. Polish the reflector. It is a pain to do well as getting through the hard anodizing is slow. {Edit: See my followup below to defeat the anodizing effortlessly - thanks guys!} I succeeded in getting some 320 wet/dry paper stuck with double stick tape to a conical Dremel grinding bit, but it did not last. Most of it was done with the paper on my finger or a ballpoint pen housing. Would probably start at 220 grit the next time. Those with a lathe or big drill chuck have it easy, as they can spin the reflector. For best results, after the anodizing is gone, sand out all marks from each grade down as far as you can afford, and don't skip any grades, as in 320 - 400 - 600 - 800 - 1000 - 1500 - 2000. The 600 grit is the coarsest I would stop at, but auto parts stores sell the fine stuff for sanding body paint, and after 2000 grit, all I had to do was polish with some Simichrome metal polish for a mirror finish. This takes a lot longer than the LED mod, and yields less results, but my goal was the most output without compromise to run time.

I had been really put off by the performance of the Infinity, despite the long run time, and always used a Dorcy AAA instead, as it was much brighter. Since the Infinity pulled just over half the current at the battery, I did not expect it to match the Dorcy, especially after both were modded with CS LED's. Wrong! The Infinity boost circuit must be much more efficient, as it is a dead match for the Dorcy's output now, and blows away a stock Dorcy. And as has been advertised, there is no change in current consumption with the CS, so runtime is still just as good. This light went from gathering dust to a favorite that made me go buy a couple of more of the new Gerber Infinities.

Sorry I don't have photos from when it was open, but it is simple enough that if you have the light they wouldn't help much.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Grubbster

Enlightened
I have done 3 of these mods now and your description is "spot on". I would like to add that the polishing of the reflector is a piece of cake if you first strip the anodizing off with chemicals. I use concentrated Sodium Hydroxide but you can also use a solution of Draino from what I understand. Just swab it on with a Q-tip sparingly to keep it from running. By doing this you can completely skip the sanding stage and just polish with steel wool and metal polish. It takes less than 10 minutes to do. Like you said, very worth while mod.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I did this same mod however used the circular board from a Dorcy AA. The casing is almost the exact same diameter and depth and runs a luxeon pretty well from 3 volts. I use a 3 volt lithium in AA size that was salvaged from a lithuim pack however a Li-Ion rechargeable 3.7 volt is also very nice.
You have to build up the heatsink a little in order to bottom out the luxeon as there is a 2 stage "ridge" inside the new Gerber head and if you have had yours apart you know what it looks like inside. It is almost like a "step" or smaller diameter at the base of the inside portion. I placed a smaller heat sink on top of the larger one and this elevated the luxeon just enough to still contact the reflector tightly and allow the larger sink to contact the body.
This is now a pretty decent light and much better than the factory set up.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting this Hondo! This is a very easy and effective mod and can take like 15 or 20 minutes.

Polishing the reflector
Step 1- Drano/red devil lye/sodium hydroxide and water with qtip
Step 2- Brasso (not recommended on aluminum) and paper towel

Mirror-like finish

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks to those above for the sodium hydroxide tip. I made mine from disolving some Rooto drain opener crystals, just a pinch, in a little plastic cap with a few drops of water. It takes very little to do a light. It looks like the liquid drain products are primarily the same chemical, but this stuff was the smallest, cheapest option at my ACO store. I kept the Q-tip just moist by dabbing on a paper towel after mixing the solution, as drips outside the reflector would be very bad. For about two minutes it looks like nothing is going on, then you get foam and raw aluminum. Just keep spreading into the center and out to the edge until no color remains, and wash the head thoroughly. Of course, just put the drain cleaner, well, down the drain - just chase it with a lot of water to prevent fumes from escaping.

I still went through all of the grades of sanding, from 320 down, as I wanted a mirror finish, and my newer lights have a pretty rough pebble finish with or w/o the anodizing on there. But what a difference! It was a snap to get down to a smooth surface with all of the hard oxide finish disolved, a fraction of the effort.

Be very carefull with this stuff, I noticed after just holding the foaming solution I was getting a stinging sensation on the back of my hand from either just vapors, or possibly invisible droplets coming off of the little bursting bubbles from the foaming. Time to wash! I then kept the lid in the bottom of my shop wash tub and only dealt with the damp Q-tip topside. It also will get quite hot while reacting with the water.

Kenski

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have specs on the Infinities, i.e. voltage out to the LED, ma draw, efficiency?

I'm thinking of a mod or two, and am curious what the regulator's #s are.

Data/experiences on either the CMG or Gerber editions are relevant, I'm modding one of each. For that matter Ultra vs non-Ultra...

Kenski

greenLED

Flashaholic
Both these threads are "classics":

koala's LuxI mod (I worked on this one, but ended up smoking the boards)
darkzero's mod (I've done this one a couple of times now, but I shortstack the sammie so I don't eat into the o-ring groove. It takes a long time to bore by hand :) ).

Robocop is the master of new-style Infinity mods, IMO.

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
Well, answering my own question here, the new SMJLED works very nicely off the Ultra's stock board. It looks as bright as the one I put in a MM on 2 new alkaline AA's. I made one mistake you might want to avoid. Next time I will leave the base of the SMJLED sticking up a bit higher than the base of the original LED. The (die?) part of the LED that glows is considerably below the reflector I so carefully polished so it seems there is no focusing of the light beam. It is a big circle with no hot spot. But it lights up a dark room without the need to swing the light back and forth!
Rather than use another SMJLED I think I'll bore the ledge in the head the circuit board sits on a bit deeper and try to raise the die into the reflector. I'll post the results here.... Sorry, no pics.... I haven't had much luck with beam shots with my camera.
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or Season's Greetings as you prefer
Wilson

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
b2eze, careful about boring the inside of the head, the tube will need to screw down further to seat on it. A spacer would offset that, but make the battery loose.

I had just the same result with a SMJLED installed in a Dorcy 1xAAA. I am not so sure we can fix it by raising the LED. The cut lense does not change the height of the emitter inside, as I understand it directs more light to the side to use the reflector. It is, however, designed to work with a Minimag reflector, or the further optimized reflectors sold by Lambda. I actually think all of the light is getting out, it just can't find a point focus without some parabolic reflection surface. The Infinity is the worst case for this being literally just a cone. Any hotspot generated by other LED's is a function of the LED lense, not the reflector.

If you have any luck getting more focus from a tiny reflector, I would be interested. My take so far is I like it for walking in the woods as any significant hotspot spoils my peripheral vision outside the hotspot in the spill. But generally, I will stay with Nichia CS LED's in this type of mod.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
b2eze, I did some experiments just now with my Dorcy, as it is much easier to fool with than an Infinity. By putting an SMJLED across a couple of coin cells, I can take a loose reflector and push it in and out of the back of the reflector. The LED can go about 2 mm or more deeper into the reflector before the ridge at it's base hits the back of the reflector, but to assemble one that way would also entail either removing the ridge on the LED or opening the hole in the Dorcy metal plate that goes between the reflector and the board. There seems to be a reason the LED is set to this depth. As soon as I go further forward in the reflector with the emitter, I get a black hole in the center. Pulling it further out does indeed waste light out the backside. But the optimum seems to be with what appears to be the "lense" of the emitter flush with the bottom of the reflector. Going back to my assembled light, I seem to have exactly the "best" beam configuration I was able to get with the adjustable arangement, i.e. nearly no hotspot, but no holes either.

At any rate, before you go further with your Infinity, especially cutting aluminum, you might want to try the same trick with your loose reflector. I think what we both need here to get a more focused light from an SMJLED is an UNCUT SMJLED. I bellieve Lambda was looking into getting some at the request of others already. This would bring back the lense effect of a normal 5mm LED, using the little reflectors to throw out any side emitted light into the spill rather than waste it, which I think is all they are intended for in these lights.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally picked up a new Gerber but was completely unsuccessful separating it into 3 pieces. I cooked it in the toaster and cranked on it and nothing happened. Are you separating it below the grooves cut on the head or the big groove half way down the body? I don't even see seams when I look in the body. Maybe there is a different version out there?

-LT

swissbianco

Newly Enlightened
have send you an email. can send an pic of the disassy too if needed.

i use an turning machine to mirrorpolish the reflectors. recut it cause the chinese dont do it stright by my 3 pcs. its quite an bit work but well worth the work.

sad they make it only on 3 case colors now, what color you would like to buy? red? orange? purple?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
swissbianco,

Thanks for the email and info. I finally gave up and just hammered the whole thing out with a wooden chopstick and a mallet. I think the body/head won't come apart no matter what. The light got up to some serious degrees but no movement at all.

If you could post a picture of the 3 pieces that would be great. I really don't much like the new lights, I only bought one to try this mod. :(

Cheers,
-LT

fasuto

Enlightened
I have two Gerbers, the first, white led, comes with a duracell, the second, red led, comes with a gerber battery and was purchased recently.

The head os the first go out without any problem, only with the hands.

The second was defective, in a couple of days stop work. I tried to unscrew the head without success, even with a pliers.
Finally reading here i get it out with a hair dryer. The head was loctited.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
LT, sorry to hear of your dilema. I got mine with a heat gun (hobby store type) and leather gloves. For tougher lights I find wrapping a bunch of rubber bands around the body for grip and diameter helps, and it provides protection if I bail out and grab the pliers (I still use a piece of old leather belt on the jaws). It is the joint you can see below the grooves in the head, partly covered by the clip until you remove it. Sounds like you drove it out by the LED with the chopstick? I can't imagine it coming out the battery tube intact. If so, you must have left behind the chrome ring that is trapped between the head and the battery tube end.

I hate that stuff too, these newest ones seem more like a two part epoxy than a lock-tite. Heat is the weapon of choice for all epoxies, but I start to worry about some of the components as the temp climbs away from the "too hot to touch bare handed" point. Good luck!

OAM

Newly Enlightened
Noob here, just came across 3 gerber UI's for 20 bucks. I'd like to try modding one of them. Anybody know where I can get a couple of the Nichia CS leds? Or is there a better led to use in this mod now? I'd like to keep the long runtime, but increase the light output somewhat. Thanks.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noob here, just came across 3 gerber UI's for 20 bucks. I'd like to try modding one of them. Anybody know where I can get a couple of the Nichia CS leds? Or is there a better led to use in this mod now? I'd like to keep the long runtime, but increase the light output somewhat. Thanks.

There is the Nichia GS, they are brighter and might have slightly longer run time than the CS. You can buy two of these lights for less than $4 (shipping included) and salvage the LED's from them

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12270