Flashlight on Delta Flight......What is a dry battery???

cslinger

Enlightened
I have never heard the term dry battery. They say you can carry flashlights as long as they use dry batteries. Are standard CR123 lithiums dry batteries? How about standard Alkalins?

Navck

Enlightened
I'm guessing Zinc-Air right now?

Edit:Alks = Powder if you cut them open, they only leak after they're dead and such...

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Speaking of this...and seeing the warnings on the SF battery boxes that have arrived, have any of you tried to take your SF with you on an air flight? Is it a real danger, or an imagined precautionary one that prompts SF to put those warning stickers on the shipping boxes? I'm wondering if the average airport security screener has the experience to recognize "problem batteries," because I would rather not bring it than run the risk of having to put it into the toenail clipper confiscated box.

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
I think that liquid batteries are the kind using lead acid, like car batteries that can open up and see the liquid. I would think alkalines and lithiums are considered 'dry' since they can't be opened using conventional methods.

cslinger

Enlightened
Well me thinks I will be flying with my Twin Task 1L as it is more then up to task as far as lighting needs and was only $15 bucks if it causes a hubbub.

Gonna miss not having either a Surefire or HDS on me though.

Chris

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightbringer has the right of it, no SLA or car battery type batts. Any of the normal batts we carry are OK. Even cr123 are technically OK since it was an entirely different lithium chemistry that was outlawed for flights.

But really, you're at the mercy of the guy behind the metal detector. I dont think there has ever been an episode of you asking to see someone else and having them allow you through then. They always stick up for the dork who said you can't bring that whatever stupid thing on board. So just explain what it is "flashlight" generally gets it through. They might make you put it through the x-ray machine just to verify that it really is one.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are dry cells, gell cells, and wet cells. If the casing on a dry cell gets cracked, there is no liquid inside to leak out. All flashlight type batteries (alkaline, NiCad, NiMh, Lithium, Li-Ion) are dry cells. Most lead acid batteries are wet cell whether they are sealed (SLA batteries) or not.

Thor uses a SLA (sealed lead acid battery) - i.e. a wet cell battery. Some lead acid batteries are gell cell. They contain a gel type electrolyte instead of liquid. They are more expensive and are used for rugged condtions such as boating and 4 wheeling.

One company makes a dry cell lead acid battery - Hawker industries, Odysee battery. It can be shipped via air with no warnings or special precautions. Wet cell batteries must be shipped via ground and must contain a warning label as to the contents.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I carried 2 River Rock 2AAA lights, Tikka XP, River Rock headlamp, River Rock lantern, Tec Eclipse 2 in my carryon bag on a recent flight to Phoenix and back. Noone in security either time I went through said a word.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally Dry cells refers to standard and alkaline cells. SLA (Sealed Led Acid), and other 'NON-Spillable' batteries such as NiMh and NiCd can also fly. They need to be declared as freight.

Lithiums are a delicate subject, and the general answer is that Lithium Primary cells may not fly unless they are covered by a US only special category called life saving equipment. or have very tiny amouts of Lithium (less than 1 gram per cell) and can survive the UN 3090 testing, and are not classed as hazmat, and may fly.

In general a few CR123's will not have enough lithium to be classed as Hazmat. A pallet full of them is another story however. Brand name CR123's such as Energizer, Duracell, Panasonic, Sanyo are likely to have passed the requirements Private label products are are suspect.

Various types of flashlights do qualify, especially if they are FAA TSO-C85 compliant (which means they have been explicity approved for carriage on aircraft use).

There are DOT exemptions however for many smaller Lithium primary cells such as coin cells. Otherwise they are classed as HazMat.

This is what got the first shipment of RazorBeam HID lights into so much grief. They were undeclared Hazmat.

Li-Ions can only travel as carryon, they may not fly as checked luggage or freight under ATA rules. US Carriers are not bound by ATA rules however, and within reason, may be transported by freight if properly declared on a carrier certified for Hazmat transport (I believe only Fedex is). IN general Li-Ions up to about 55 watt hours can travel as carry on (that covers cells phones, PDA's, laptops etc). Get beyond about 55 watt hours, and it becomes technically illegal to transport them by air, period, end, stop except as life saving equipment.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Interesting info, Matthew.

I wonder then, why was my L2 and again M4 shipping boxes marked by Surefire as ground transport ONLY? The L2 only had two lousy batteries in the package. Same thing with even a single box of 12 123 batteries I got later.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see...

Aboard a plane, my *** is strapped to several tens of thousands of pounds of fuel, and they tell me my little battery is dangerous?

This is the reason why I consider all this "battery paranoia". "OMG A BATTERY WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!@#(@)#!@!!"

I have yet to see a flight brought down by a battery... hell, there are far bigger things to worry about.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got to fly to ND soon, you all are making me nervous <sigh>. I was going to take a few higher end lights to show the relatives but now I'm not sure it's a good idea.

dfred

Enlightened
LuxLuthor said:
Interesting info, Matthew.

I wonder then, why was my L2 and again M4 shipping boxes marked by Surefire as ground transport ONLY? The L2 only had two lousy batteries in the package. Same thing with even a single box of 12 123 batteries I got later.

That warning/prohibition label on parcels containing primary lithium cells is required by this DOT rule. It went into effect in December 2004. On page 5 of the PDF there are several exemptions, including one for airline passengers carrying reasonable quantities of properly packaged small lithium primary cells.

As mentioned above, there are other organizations (e.g. UN) which have rules regarding hazardous materials handling as well. It seems to be a complex regulatory landscape.

Just as an aside... Even in my month or so here, I've seen this basic question question pop up at least 3-4 times. I'm not really an expert on this topic (it sounds like maybe Matthew is more of one) but I'd be happy to help with a sticky topic regarding regulations relating to air travel with batteries.

lebox97

Enlightened
PS: if security has an issue with what battery you have in your flashlight - leave the batteries. (ie. your not going to leave behind the whole "empty" light!!!)

We are also overlooking the fact that bad guys are learning to use everyday items to do bad things - hence the reason shoes, cell phones, laptops, "electronics" are now under more scrutiny.

I once had to empty out a pocket flask because the security person deemed 6oz of tequila to be unsafe... !?
TIP: now I carry an updated printout from the airline/FAA/homeland security to educate the personnel about what I am and am not allowed to carry on board. :)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ran across this problem when flying or having things shipped to Turkey. Normally, I hide any lithium batteries that I carry due to paranoia over LITHIUM. The interesting thing about it is the Lithium Thyonyl Chloride batteries... those things can do nasty things to aluminum if they explode, burn etc. This is a major reason I don't use lithium batteries, in my travels they are a big hassle and not worth dealing with. I hide a small quantity of them in my shortwave, flashlights, CD player and other things and put the NiMH batteries in plastic cases.

As far as "wet" batteries go, I had to order new batteries for my my 36V electric scooter. Lead Acid could not be shipped, Sealed Lead Acid was out and Gel Cells were iffy. Then I hit the solution, Starved Lead Acid Absorbant Gas Mat batteries (AGM) are fine and have approval from governmental agencies. Hawker makes them as do a few other companies and I had to find something that fit my battery tray that normally holds three 12 10AH batteries. From what I have read, you can break one open and they won't spill anything as the absorbent glass mat prevents the gel from spilling out. The starved part means the glass mats are at 95% of saturation and will not let any of the gel go if exposed. Then I ran across SVR AGM 12V 14AH "competition" deep cycle cells that can hammer down 900 amps for 10 seconds and can support 1,500 amps without blowing the internals. :) (Put that in your Surefire!)

The max load I will place on the 36V 14AH pack will be 35 amps; it is severe overkill but they can be shipped and are on their way. :D The other good thing about competition AGM deep cycle batteries is I can get around 750 cycles at 50% depth of discharge so they will last several years. To ensure the batteries are pampered, ordered a 2 amp pulse/constant current/constant voltage/standby voltage smart charger that handles AGM cells. Flashlights have taught me to me nice to batteries and they will be nice to you.

Last edited:

dfred

Enlightened
Yea, AGM is a great advance for the venerable lead acid chemistry.

Lead acid batteries which are tested and approved for transport on airplanes will be labeled "NONSPILLABLE" in compliance with 49 CFR 173.159(d).

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have a little stack of duracell branded cr123 batteries that have come with various lights when I've bought them. When I'm going into a major hub airport with overworked security I have several times replaced the battery station or sure fire batteries that I would normally use with the duracell ones, just so that if they look in, it says something that they recognize.

Though I've never had them checked, it might be a good idea to hold onto the brand name batts that you get with something, or to purchase a small amount of them to use while travelling if you're worried about that.