ASSISTANCE CHOOSING FIRST LIGHT

ddemon440

Newly Enlightened
Recommend a flashlight checklist:

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

LIGHT WILL BE USED AS TACTICAL LIGHT. I CARRY A HANDGUN CONCEALED AND WOULD LIKE A GOOD LIGHT FOR LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS.

1) Price Range: This is usually the easiest question, but be prepared to change your mind when you are done answering the rest of the questions!

____$1-10
____$15-30
__X__$40-60
____No Limit

2) Format:
__X__Flashlight
____Headlamp
____Portable Spotlight
____Lantern

3) Length:
____1-2 inches (Keychain sized)
__X__2-4 inches ("Pocket carry")
____4-9 inches ("Holster carry")
____I don't care

4) Width
__X__Narrow
____Wide
____I don't care

5) What batteries do you want to use? Common size alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and can be severely impacted by cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years) and are not nearly as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are usually much more expensive.

____I want a rechargable system (generally the best for everyday use)
__X__I want common Alkaline batteries (AA, AAA, C, D)
__X__I want lithium based batteries (coin cells, CR123, etc)

6) How much light do you need? Sometimes you can have too much light (reading a map or book close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
____I need to read a map or find a light switch in a dark room (5-10 lumens)
____I need to walk around a generally paved area (15-20 lumens)
__X__I need to walk unpaved trails (40 lumens)
__X__I need to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations (60+ lumens)
____I need to light up an entire campground or field (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)--------------------XXX----------------------Flood/closeup

8) Runtime: Some manufacturers severely overinflate their runtime claims (especially with LED lights). I am discussing usable runtime measured down to 50% from first activation with fresh batteries.
__X__20 min (I need a very bright light for brief periods)
__X__60-240 min (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min (4-6 hours)
____360+ min (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Not Important (A "nightstand" light)
____Slightly Important (walks around the neighborhood)
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glovebox)
__X__Critical (Police, Fire/Rescue, SAR, survival)

8) Switch Location/Type: Circle all that apply.
Sliding Switch |X Momentary Switch X | "Clickie" Switch | Remote Control
Body (Side) Switch |X Endcap Switch X| Rotating Head | Rotating Tail
I don't care

9) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
__X__A simple On-Off is fine for me
____2 light levels (High power/short runtime and Low power/long runtime)
____Multiple light levels (some lights have 5-16 variable light levels)
____Strobe mode (blinks to show location)
____Tactical Strobe (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent)

10) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
• Red (night vision preserving) filter(s)
• Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, Etc)
• Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
• "Hybrid" light (combines Bright Incandescent and long running LEDs)
• Belt clip XXXXX
• Holster
• Wrist/Neck Lanyard
• Waterproof – (how deep?) xxxxxxxxxxx (rain proof)
• Non-reflective/ dark finish (stealthy/ hard to find) vs. bright for easy locating? XXXXXXx
• Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish? XXXXX
• Kobuton/self defense features?
• Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments?

LIGHT WILL BE USED AS TACTICAL LIGHT. I CARRY A HANDGUN CONCEALED AND WOULD LIKE A GOOD LIGHT FOR LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
was going with the Fenix L1P but you said reliabilty was critical so maybe the Q-III as it has a proven track record whereas the Fenix MAY have some slight issues regarding reliabilty of the tail switch

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incandescent classics for this application: Surefire G2, perhaps G2Z, Surefire 6P for aluminum body, Streamlight Scorpion. All perfect for you, except I see that you want a belt clip, which those do not have. Off the top of my head, I don't know an incan in your price range with a belt clip.

LEDs are typically a little bit more expensive. Inova T2 or T3 might work, but again no belt clip, and the beam might be too narrow for you.

Nuwai Q3 or the 2-cell variant TM-301X-3 (except for the switch on this one, which requires two clicks to get high output) look actually perfect for you. They have a belt clip, which is however not really the best.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... well, I know most budgets are fairly tight or at least limited, but in my opinion, 'mission critical' and 'under $40' don't often work together. Having said that, I've owned two Nuwai Q3s that I've never had a single bit of trouble with and that would be my suggestion if brightness is more important than runtime. I'd also consider having the Luxeon star swapped out for something of known bin such as a TW0J or TW0K or TY0K. Very bright, very white.

Having said that, I also own two Fenix lights, one L1P 2.5 and one L1 2.0 and the switches on both are perfect. I prefer them to the Q3 for pocket carry.

For a bit longer light, the Inova T2 or X0 would be my general suggestions. in the $40-ish range. The difference is how the body looks (T2 is cross hatched and the X0 has flat sides) and the switch (the T2 has a standard clickie while the X0 has a press momentary or twist for constant on).

My actual recommendation is a Surefire L4 if you don't need tons and tons of throw. It's pretty much accepted as best 'wall of white light' out there. But they cost a bit north of $100.

ddemon440

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the prompt feedback.

I may be able to bump the budget up to a hundred bucks with out the wife noticing.

And I just thought a belt clip would be better but if anyone has experience to the contrary then do tell. Im not dead set on clip.

thanks again

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova T1 is the only one I can think of in your size/price/brightness range with a momentary (silent) switch. Its almost as bright as the T2 mentioned above, but with shorter runtime due to using only 1 cell (1.5 hours, which fits with what you posted). Note that it uses an optic to maximize throw, but this isn't such an issue in general use (you can get a flood out of a throw light, but you can't make a flood light throw).
I showed one to a local cop and he was impressed and had me write down the name of it.

The E1L is similar (for over 3 times the $$) but is made by Surefire, makers of all lights "tactical" and has a lifetime, no fail warranty, if that is important to you.

While you may be able to get more light out an incandescent than an LED, I personally think LEDs are better in "mission critical" situations as they pretty much ALWAYS work (even if you drop/slam the light) and you don't have to pay for replacement lamp assemblies.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is truely to be used for tactical purposes as you've stated you can't go too cheap here. (then again maybe you've got a ton of life insurance and your wife wouldn't mind too terribly if you got killed because you saved 50 bucks and got an inappropriate flashlight?)

So that means Surefire and only Surefire, the Scorpion is NOT a tactical light for a boatload of reasons (Adjustable focus, bi-pin lamps, rubber cover all are fine for a general purpose light but make it thumbs down for a light that might save your butt someday!).

Surefire G2Z is what you need, if is the best fit for all of your requirements. If your an NRA member you can even get one at discount!!!

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
That new format for choosing a light really works. Eliminates the need to ask all those questions.

The only drawback is there might not be any flashlight that can meet all the criteria.

Here is a quick recommendation if you are price sensitive: Surefire G2. $34. No clip. Made of plastic. A little large for front pants pockets. But for light-up-the-bad-guy, the G2 is hard to beat at that price or size. Buy a Surefire P61 high output lamp, and you will get a wider beam of light for 20 minutes.

My own choice for that purpose include the Streamlight Strion and Surefire E1L, depending on which pocket I'm carrying the light in. When HDS comes out with a EDC 85 Law Enforcement model, that will replace the E1L.

illuminator196972

Newly Enlightened
A hand gun and a light go 1 for 1. You need to ID the target than respond. I would like to see you with a 9z/9p 200+ lumens to ID the target,or if you can afford an M3 or above tactical light!

Stormdrane

Enlightened
The Nuwai QIII($35) is my current EDC. I just got a Nano charger and 800mah 123 rechargeable battery from Hong Kong for it($10). I also found a mod for it where it can use an AA battery instead, less output, but much longer runtime($12 on ebay). I had a Surefire G2 and a Streamlight TL3, which were much brighter, but were also larger, fragile bulbs, and had much shorter runtimes so I ended up selling them after I got the QIII with it's luxeon 3watt. I have an M3 mounted on my HK USP Compact .40, but I don't have a holster that'll fit it with the light on it yet, so I rarely carry it.

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not even begin to contemplate carrying a gun without a light.
It's a pretty scarry thought knowing someone is out there using an inferior light to illuminate something a gun is pointing at.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Staying (mostly) in or near your requirements...
-Surefire G2 (with stock P60 or P61HOLA lamp assembly)
-Surefire 6P (with stock P60 or P61HOLA lamp assembly) -personal favorite

If you can raise the budget I would say one of the Surefire Z2 series.

ddemon440

Newly Enlightened
So far i like the E2E from surefire the most but i see the output is 65 lumens for 1.25 hours. I like the G2z also but it doesnt look like as comfortable to carry and the output is slighty less and has shorter run time.
What lumen output would compare with a 4 D cell mag lite, this is my current main home light.

thanks for all the input

blackout

Newly Enlightened
Don't believe anyone who tells you that Surefire is the only reliable flashlight.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
See Quickbeam's review http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm
I would estimate a 4D maglight's lumen output to be in the 40-45 range. It might be higher with fresh batteries but the initial output of the stock maglight drops pretty fast. Of course if I'm wrong someone else please correct me.

The thing with the maglights is that they can get amazing throw by focusing down tight but the total output really isn't that high by modern standards.

Playing around on night walks I've run my Surefire 6P (with P61 HOLA assembly) up against my MagCharger (the MagCharger, of course, making regular D cell maglights look absolutely pathetic). Out in the real world the 'charger wins...but not by much and of course there is the size/weight difference to consider.

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
ddemon440 said:
So far i like the E2E from surefire the most but i see the output is 65 lumens for 1.25 hours. I like the G2z also but it doesnt look like as comfortable to carry and the output is slighty less and has shorter run time.
What lumen output would compare with a 4 D cell mag lite, this is my current main home light.

thanks for all the input

Ok heres what I think(but the only one of these lights I actually own is a fenix so). The e2e is 60 lumens lumens with 1.25 hour runtime while the z2 is 65 lumens with 1hour runtime. The z2 looks uncomfortable to carry because it is MADE to be used with handgun using surfire/rogers technique. So I say z2 baby.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
ddemon440 said:

thanks for all the input

E2e is a fine light. It's output is 60L for 75 mins compared to the G2/Z2/6P which is 65L for 60 mins. The difference in light output is insignificant. The E2e is also MUCH easier to carry than the others.

The 4D maglight output is roughly equal to the Surefires mentioned above, However the ability to focus to a tight beam and get a narrow hotspot may make that hotspot brighter. However that is NOT what is needed for target ID in a shooting situation since normal shooting situations are nearly always close in, especially at night.

and I might add that Surefire ARE THE FINEST lights for the TACTICAL purpose you want to use them for. Yes there are a few others, but they have no historical data to say they are Surefire's equal. They may end up being their equal in a few years, but we don't know that yet. So you wanna try one with your life and find out if they are or not?