Fenix L1P and Battery Station Lithium AA batteries?

Geode

Enlightened
Hello fellow flashaholics. After doing search functions and reading many threads, there seems to a few comments that indicate using disposable Lithium AA batteries such as the Battery Station type in the Fenix L1P flashlight is okay.

I just bought the Fenix L1P and don't want to harm the light. What is the downside to using 1.5V Lithium Batteries in this light? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I normally use NiMHs in my Fenix lights, I've run Energizer Lithium through each of my Fenix lights with no trouble. There's a chart comparing alkalines to NiMHs to Lithiums floating around if you look for it. Seems like Lithiums are the way to go with this light if you don't mind paying for them.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hard line from the company (and 4sevens if you ask him) is that any 1.5 volt battery chemistry is ok (alkaline, NiMH, Energizer e2 lithium are all rated at 1.5 volts or below), but nothing exceeding that. The e2 tend to run a little high (up to 1.7 volts), but I've been using them for a while with no problems (they sag a little under load). That said, I've read here that the batterystation lithiums can go as high as 1.9 volts- I personally wouldn't want to risk it given the company's explicit warnings (and warranty) advising against anything over 1.5V.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my included "Introduction to Fenix tm L1 Flashlight".

"The input voltage of Fenix L1 is 0.9V-1.5V. Please do not use other types of batteries (especially 3.6V Lithium battery) except AA alkaline battery or NiMH battery. Otherwise the flashlight will be damaged."

This SEEMS to preclude AA Lithiums nominal 1.5 volt batteries.

Of course, I'll use them anyway.

wwglen

Enlightened
Well I guess you can't use fresh alklines then as mine run 1.56V or so when new.

wwglen

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Using Energizer L91 on all my fenix. Draws 900ma from 1.63v fresh cell. Just watch the temp of the body do not get uncomfortable to hold. Theres a runtime graph for the 2.5 here

Last edited:

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
Side note question. I've seen at least a couple people say that it draws 850-900ma. I thought the specs stated 350ma. What am I missing?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should deliver 350ma to the led starting out for a while (that's the led's running spec). It will draw more than that because the convertor has to boost the voltage for the led, and that requires more current.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The excess voltage (above 1.5v.) in lithium batteries very quickly burns off and the battery settles down to a range below 1.5v.. If you have any concerns about using a lithium battery in your light, use it in another device for about 10 minutes first in order to bring the voltage down.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm using a Battery Station lithium AA in mine - no ill effects thus far.

I'd think that a slightly higher voltage would be fine given the diffculty continuously extracting ~1W from a AA alkaline...

I also wonder if the Fenix L2 (looks to be the same light, only with a 2xAA tube) uses a different driver, given the lack of identifying markings on the L1's LED/driver module.

I think the warning in there is to prevent anyone from using a 3.6V lithium AA or some other sort of lithium-ion rechargable in it - those would probably send the driver into direct-drive mode.

Last edited: