what tempature do set themostat in winter?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just wondering what temps ya all use.im going to try for 45 for the houses main themostat and 58 for the one in this room.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around 69 degrees F for me (old mechanical thermostat with mercury splashing around inside.)

We don't run the furnace much unless the outside temp drops below 55 or if it is raining.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the winter time. It will hit the high 50's in the morning before we turn on the heater. Once I fall asleep, it could be 2 degrees and I would be fine...plus I prefer it being cold rather than warmer and stuffy.

-C

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
We find 62 degrees to be quite comfortable. It also keeps the air warm and dry enough to prevent condensation from forming. Condensation (from one's breath, boiling water, etc.) promotes the growth of mildew, even at temperatures close to freezing.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I prefer temperatures in the low-mid 60s, but my housemate prefers temperatures in the mid-upper 70s; so while I **** & moan that it's too hot, he says it's too cold. :/

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 65 in my home office area, low 60s in the bedroom, and the rest of the house is usually set in the high 60s (not by my choice I might add :)).

-Mike

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
We live in an apt with steam heat (we have no control). Generally we find a balance between the heat and slightly opened windows to keep things around 65-68 degrees.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
we have to keep it a little warmer than we normally would with the baby in the house. The thermostat in his room is set for 70 which actually keeps it a bit warmer than that in his and his sisters room. The downstairs has it's own thermostat and I generally set it at 70 during the day and down to 65 or so at night. I also like it a bit cooler to sleep.

If you're turning it way up and down you may not be saving any money though. At some point it's going to run longer to bring the temp back up to your new setpoint than it would have run if you had just left it there all night. so there is no point to turn it down to like 50 during the night if you're going to turn it up to 70 during the day.

Plus, it's not just that first cycle. You are heating up all the things in the house too. the first cycle is just the air, then the air cools at it reheats the walls and the floors and everything else, and it will cycle again fairly quickly a few times after you make a major change in the setpoint. So find a comfortable setpoint, and dont change it more then 5 degrees or so.

drizzle

Enlightened
70 daytime
68 nighttime

I splurged on a fancy thermostat when I bought the house and have been very glad for the last 7 years I've been here that I did. I can set it to go down during the day only on weekdays which I do when I'm working away from home. And it "learns" how my house heats up by having an air and wall temp sensor and monitoring heat changes over time so it can cycle the furnace in such a way to efficiently bring the heat up to the temp I want at the time I want it there.

Hehe, sorry if that's too much info. Obviously I really like it.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
68 during the day. drop to 60 about 10 PM (so the house actually cools by bedtime). Use down throws (half sized blankets) if we watch TV late at night.

Of course, this is Southern California so the nightime outside temperature rarely drops below 50 at night. Winter time here is usually wonderful weather.

Last edited:

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drafty old houses and babies are not a good mix. 72 degrees. It has been in the 20's at night lately.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it got down to 28 or so here last night but room never droped below 64 and i didnt have heat on.lol today i have doors and windows open but i like it colder.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
I've been using programable thermostats since the early eighties, even made one using a PIC microcontroller with 2K setpoints. When I had to work for a living I set the temperatures to 65 from 11PM to 6AM then 70 till 8 AM back to 65 till 5PM then 72 til 11PM. Met my needs very well, since I was comfortable Momma wasn't but she couldn't figure out how to work the thermostat so she just put on another sweater or two. It's all in her head, I once hung a dead thermostat on the wall and hid the working one, she would go twist the dummy and be happy as a clam at high tide.

Now I set the programable on to 70 from 6AM to 11PM and 65 at night. Setting the spread wider just makes the furnace run longer in the morning and if you have a heat pump kicks in the resistive elements..

attowatt

Enlightened
raggie33 said:
it got down to 28 or so here last night but room never droped below 64 and i didnt have heat on.lol today i have doors and windows open but i like it colder.

PFtt....

I dont run thermostat... last night room temp was 43

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I don't understand the point of lowering the temperature at night. If anything, I would think you would want the higher temperature while you're sleeping since your metabolism slows down, and lower temperatures when you're awake. I usually prefer in the low 70s while I'm asleep and about 50 to 55 when I'm awake.

I'm trying to get my parents to just keep the heat completely off this year and just use electric heaters in whatever room we happen to be in. The house holds about 20 to 25°F above outside temperature anyway so it's pretty comfortable without heat until it gets under about 30°F outside.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
jtr1962
The point of futzing with the temperature during the day and night is to save resources (read: MONEY).

Check

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/askjack/2004-12-16-heating-degree-days_x.htm

to get familiar with Degree Days, then, simplisticly;

at a steady temp of 70 F and outside temp average of 40 F you get 30 Degree Days;
even just a mild setback of 5 F for 8 hours at night helps, average temp is 68 F
68 - 40 = 28 Degree Days or 6+% less fuel needed..

At an average $200 winter month bill that's $12. That's $60 for one winter.
Chilly at night?? Blankets cost $30-50 and last more than ten years.
That's $4 a season for a pair.

Saving resources; $56 per season, ($60 - $4 for 2 blankets)
Snuggling under a pair of blankets; priceless

jtr1962

Flashaholic
whiskypapa3 said:
jtr1962
The point of futzing with the temperature during the day and night is to save resources (read: MONEY).
Yeah, but why not set it back during the day when you're moving and your metabolism is up? I don't get why people set it back at night when your metabolism is at its slowest. I can easily tolerate 50 or 55 when I'm up and about, but trying to sleep in a room that cold is torture, especially if you wake up to use the bathroom. Additionally, doing it my way the house is only at a higher temperature for 8 hours a day versus 16 the other way.

Honestly, I'm seeing less and less point to central heating anyway, especially if there's only one or two people in a house. Better to just heat whatever room you're in to your own preferences with a ceramic heater.