9P rechargable nimh

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys sry if this has already been talked about but here goes. I read somewhere that you can put rechargable nimhs in C3 or M3(I cant remember which) and since the 9p uses the same batteries can you use those in the 9p? Also I dont know much about rechargables nimHs so,how much do they cost ,how would they compare to sf 123a as far as performance,and are they at all dangerous.

thanks in advance.

assassin

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I'm not sure about Nimh, but there are a couple different ways to use li-ions. I think a kind of pilas work. As far as I know there are no Nimh batteries made in the cr123 size.

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
so how much are rechargable lions or pilas and how do rechargeble batteries compare to regular 123 (runtime, output).

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want to study the Batteries forum and also the thread on AW's lithium-ion rechargeables.

Cost is quite low: about $20 for a pair of AW's cells, $10 for his DSD charger, another $20 for a pair of spare cells. I think the 9P draws about 1.1 amps, which means you'd get around an hour from the shorter "Pila type" cells (the 17500 cells), maybe 1.4 hours if you add a 1-cell extender and use the longer, 17670 cells.

Avoid so-called "unprotected" cells; they require too much vigilance, in the flashlight and on the charger, to use safely.

If you think you might "trade up" to Surefire's P91 lamp, be aware that none of AW's protected cells will have enough "juice" except the long, fat ones (18670), which are too thick to fit a C3 or 9P. If you think you might go down th e road of high-current lamps or bulbs, get Pila or Wolf Eyes cells instead. They cost more, but they're designed to handle higher currents.