Need help picking out a light

chiabob

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I'm pretty new to this and I need some help finding the right light.
I'm looking to buy a LED flashlight as a christmas present. My price range is approximately $50. Here's a list of what I think are the most important features I'm looking for:
1. BRIGHT!
2. Standard batteries (AA, AAA, etc)
3. Battery life (hopefully regulated)
4. Size

The single most important thing is the "wow" factor of how bright it is.
A couple of flashlights I've considered after looking through entirely too many threads are:
Gerber LX 3.0
Elektrolumens XM3
Fenix L1P
Fenix L2P.

I'd be willing to spend a little more or adjust my requirement (like using CR123) if I can get a significantly brighter light

Edit:
And one more question: I want a light for myself as well. Mine doesn't need to be LED and can be lithium as my work supplies all the batteries. I was thinking of the SF G2 Nitrolon or another L1P. What do you guys think? I'll be using it at work where I am a Field Service Engineer. Basically, I'm a mechanic that works on machines for the Semiconductor industry. I do a lot of inspections inside of the machine and so I don't think that a long throw is very important as I won't be trying to light up things that are more than 6 feet away. Size is important as I don't want to lug around something too large.

Thanks for the help!

-Matt

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I'd say Fenix L1P. One of the CPF most popular ligths these days.

BUT ... if you want to go into CR123 territory there is a significant increase in brightness possible, but unfortunately for the really good lights also a significant increase in price.

bernie

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!
For a wow! factor, I'd go with the L1P: small and bright, regular batts. You'll end up going the 123 route sooner or later, so no need to hurry up. :D

chiabob

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input! I was thinking of going with the L1P, but wasn't sure if that would be the best for me as I'm willing to get a 3AA sized light as long as it is noticably brighter.

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
For non-lithium light, I think you'd be hard pressed to find something better than the L1P, even something that uses 2+ cells. The L2 is going to use two AA cells, but the only difference will be longer run-times, the lumens are the same according to Fenix. Most importantly, the L1P is within your $50 budget.

I just got an L1P, and I'm completely satisfied.

chiabob

Newly Enlightened
And one more question: I want a light for myself as well. Mine doesn't need to be LED and can be lithium as my work supplies all the batteries. I was thinking of the SF G2 Nitrolon or another L1P. What do you guys think? Should I post this in the general forum instead?-Matt

greenLED

Flashaholic
No need, edit your first post to add your second question.

What are you going to use the light for? Once that's settled, it'll be easier for us to suggest lights.