Evolution of a flashlight user.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was a post I put on a different board early in the summer. I thought maybe some would find it interesting to see how a "normal" user like myself starts to slip into the better lights. It was "just" after picking up my first Inova, the X0 and I am even more impressed with LED technology and quality lights now that I have gather a few more.

A few observations from a blackout
Last night the power went off about 6PM and came on about 6:30 AM about 12 hours, not an extended time like the big blackout a few y ears ago, but enough to make some additional observations and conclusions about time spent in the dark or non-moving with no "instant entertainment".

Observations:

Observation 1. Time slows down in the dark with no mind entertainment when spending extended periods. I used the time observing neighbors, trying out some equipment, reading, playing solitare, talking to my wife when she got home, and playing a handheld poker game. Boredom is easy to succumb to and must be taken into account.

Conclusion : I am going to put a book and a small handheld game in all kits to give the mind some stimulation during periods of inactivity and or darkness.

Oberservation 2. Not all lights are equal. No burning type lights were used because quite simply it was too warm for them. In colder weather they do give an added benefit of providing a source of warmth which is not considered in these conclusions.

Lights used:

Brinkman Headlamp : 3 LEDs, two white one Red (used for night vision saving or fire) picked up yesterday prior to the outage while on a whim on a trip to Target.

Inova X0

AA Minimag

5 C Cell Maglight

5 D Cell Sportsmans Guide 20 LED Lantern

6 D Cell Halogen Tube Emergency Lantern/Radio

Conclusions:

1. Leds are superior to halogen or other lights for long term close use and in some cases distance use. The LED Lantern was purchased 2 years ago prior to the big blackout and I used the same batteries still, I used it all night, and it is still bright. The other lantern had fresh batteries and my wife turned it on when she got home at 11:00, and by 2:30 it was dimming. LED light simply last a LOT longer with a set of batteries and if they are regulated the light is constant with no dimming towards the end of battery life. I used the two led headlamp for I would guess 5 of the 8 I was awake during this time and it never dimmed. I compared the Inovas again to the Maglights and lights of my neighbors and no halogen or xenon bulb even came close to the long battry life of the LED lights.

2. Headlamps are EXCELLENT tools. This is the first I have had and I was blown away by how handy it is. It is virtually a set of headlights for the head. Reading is so much nicer than with a lantern which throws shadows. I did dishes with it, played games, and it threw light about 20 feet, adequate to walk in the dark very well with. A headlamp like this is going in each kit I own. However, the headlamps without the up and down adustable head like this one would be more problematic and not quite as handy. Headlamps are far superior to holding a flashlight when working with the hands or for close up work.

3. Inova's Tiros lens makes LEDs close to halogen lights for throwing a long distance beam of light, but Maglight halogens with their variable beams are far superior to most other LED sources for distance work. A balance of both types is preferable I think for optimum use of batteries balancing need and uses.

Observation 3. People in the dark are "lost" without instant entertainment. I watched neighbors wander in the dark for hours aimlessly bored out of their minds. In one hour I saw a neighbor I did not know smoked, smoke at least 10. One lady kept hearing noises I understand and called the police who along with neighbors scoured the area finding nothing, not evening on the fresh rained on grasses and muddy roads and driveways. Another kept tossing his only working flashlight, from my observation, into the air and catching it, until he missed and it broke.

Conclusion : it is what it is, people just are too used to instant entertainment.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id always had a thing for a light, mainly the cheap mag and plastic ones, squeeze ones. I did not collect them, just had one in a few places I could find it, a backup and in the tool box. I had a B&D rechargable spot light, it died after a year.

in 97 bought a 3 led trek light from the ccrane company after hearing an advertisement on the art bell show. Was impressed with run time and bluish light. Used it to help with my near sidedness and in a 2 week power failure, as a night light and to see. I managed to jam it in a head band strap for a mag light.

Later bought one led light here and there from walmart and other stores. Some were brighter, some were equal. Had a few led lights now where i could find them, but kept the older style filiment lights for real lighting needs.

Came across this site and the ad in cabelas catalog for the xpg series. Was skeptical as they were cheaper than surefire, but they were at a hundred bucks. People would think I was crazy to spend 100 bucks on a light that took 3 batteries that cost 8 bucks each. So, got a comission and draw job and one of the many commissions I received, I bought it. This was shortly followed by buying a p61 lamp for a legend xl light, 2 boxes of surefire batteries, a bog out 3 watt led module, 3 watt xpg light from cabelas thats recharagable, inova x5 blue and a few others.

I am done buying for now as it seems led technology is still limited, but I look forward to more light down the road.