Must share this

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I am a Beretta firearms nut. I love their history and their products. I do not own any of their shotguns, always wanted to though, but I have owned a few of their pistols. The only Beretta I currently own is a Cougar 8045. I had to sell the others because of medical bills and other expenses in the last year.
Anyway I have always liked the Cougar line of pistols and have wanted a Cougar model 8000 (9mm) Inox (stainless) ever since I saw a pic of one on the internet. I have never even held a 8000 Inox and have never seen one in person but boy what a sweet looking gun it is. The rumor is that Beretta only imported maybe 1200 of them into the USA. So I figured my chances of ever owning one, especially with my medical problems, were slim to none.
I had told my brother about a year ago that I would own one before I died. I was of course talking tounge in cheek and was not really being serious. Well my brother remembered me saying that and knows that I have sold most of my guns in the last year. We were talking the other day about what gun we would like and I mentioned the Cougar 8000 Inox of course like I do everytime this subject comes up. He said " I am going to help you get that gun." Of course I asked how. He said "This is the deal". "Come up with half of the cost and I will cover the other half. It will be our gun to share but you can keep it at your house. If you beat your cancer I will give my half to you. If, God forbid, you do not beat the cancer I will sell the gun and give the money to your family."
Well that sounded great to me. Only problem I had now was how to come up with my half. I thought about it and thought about it some more. I figured surely I have something else I could sell. I found several things that I would have no use for, no matter what the outcome of my life, for several years. Old magazines (the gun type that bullets fit into) from guns that I no longer had, an old chainsaw that I had alway meant to fix, a very old and cheap pushmower, bullets that I no longer had a gun chambered for, 2 old bicycles, etc....
I ended up selling a bunch of junk and raised my half. I actually raised about $150 more than I needed which was a blessing because we needed it for Christmas. I almost backed out of the deal though because now that I had the money I started thinking of how I needed it for other things.
I told my wife that I thought I should just use the money for something else and it was silly to even be thinking of buying the gun. I really was starting to feel guilty. She looked me in the eyes and said "Jeff, I want you to buy the gun." Well to be honest I was kind of taken back because my wife is the most practical person I have ever met. I said why? She said "James (my brother) called me after your agreement and talked to me. He said he knew I would think you were both crazy. But he wanted to explain himself, and he asked that I not tell you this unless you backed out of the deal. James wants you to have the gun because he wants you to live. He said that he knew how much it hurt you to have to sell so many of your things, things that were important to you, and that he wanted to see you have something that you have always wanted. He said that he could have just bought the gun for you but he didnt for 2 reasons. He wanted you to have some money in the gun so you would feel right about having it and not feel guilty. He also wanted you to prove to yourself that when you want something bad enough that you can make it happen. He wants you to take that same energy that you put into raising the money for the gun and apply it to your health. He wants to see you live."
Chokes me up right now typing that. My wife is standing behind me to remind me to get what she said right and is crying. What a wonderful person to have as a brother and a friend.
Well now on to the gun. I had found one on Gunbroker but it was just a bit more than I wanted to give for it. I wanted to keep as much of the money as I could for Christmas presents (we have not bought anything for anybody yet). I was just about to give in and buy when I decided to check the classifieds on Berretaforum.net forum. And lo and behold there was the gun for $70 cheaper than the one on Gunbroker. I have not got the gun yet, have not even sent the money order yet. But I will be sending it the first of next week.
You know my mind tells me to feel guilty but my heart says to enjoy it. My brother has tried to teach me something in his own little way and I think I understand it. Besides, with the extra money I raised it means that my children will not go without presents under the tree. I think everything is going to work out just fine in the end, I really do.
You all keep praying for me and I will do the same for you.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say...

Granted these may only be material possessions and things, but I have discovered that some of them have the power to inspire, the power to heal, and the power to give you the strength to carry on especially when they move you. We can do amazing things when doing something we truly believe in and that is important. It can take your mind off bigger problems too (for a short while) to allow you to see things in a different way or find a place to rest and that is important, because if the only thing on your mind are your problems, they may end up getting to you in the end (as they did to me). Sometimes being able to step away from all of this is very necessary. Then come back to them later, when they need to be tackled.

I too hope you have a blessed Christmas and that this helps you beat the cancer.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff,

Get the gun and enjoy the meaning behind it for many, many years to come.
smile.gif

As always you and yours, in fact all, are in our prayers and thoughts. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.

Craig

Luxman

Enlightened
I wish you and your family the Best!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas!

Is the Cougar 8045 a .40 caliber??
If so, I may have a brand new mag for you! :)

[Edit: Oh, come to think of it, I may have had the 8040]

Last edited:

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Luxman said:
I wish you and your family the Best!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas!

Is the Cougar 8045 a .40 caliber??
If so, I may have a brand new mag for you! :)

[Edit: Oh, come to think of it, I may have had the 8040]
The 8045 is .45 caliber. :)

Luxman

Enlightened
LifeNRA,
Oh well, too bad..I do remember it was a .40 and just looked up the model as an 8040.
I don't have it anymore but still have a new mag. If you should get an 8040 let me know!

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Luxman,
Thank you kindly for the offer.

Now if I could find some 15 round Cougar 8000 mags I would be set. :)

sniper

Enlightened
Jeff: That's what brothers and wives/husbands do, in the best of all possible worlds.
Enjoy those relationships, and improve them, and, after you have overcome the cancer, remember and continue to improve them.
Have a good Thanksgiving, and a marvelous Christmas.
John 3: 16 and 17 and Luke 24: 3-7 are the truest words you will ever read, and are the reason for celebrating the coming season.