Diesel SMART

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone in Europe or up Narth in Canada have one of these cars? How do you like it? Does it really get 70mpg? How would an American go about getting one? I understand they arent quite up to our safety or smog standards, but someone told me I could just buy one in Canada and drive it across. Is that true or legal?

I think zapworld.com is suppose to start selling the gas model, possibility the suz, not the 2 seater sometime next year. I rather have the diesel 2 seater that gets 70 mpg. I signed up at the smart and zap website for more info.

Thanks

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could buy one in Canada, then drive it across the border.

The problem comes when it comes time to register it in your home state for a license (I believe). As a "biodiesel guy" who is also really interested in high efficiency, I'm highly attracted to the diesel "Smart ForTwo". I believe it is the world's smallest, production "Compression Ignition" (diesel) engine. It uses "Common Rail" technology to force the diesel fuel into the engine under extremely high pressure.

I would LOVE to get one. The ones in Canada can even be gotten with the convertible and the diesel combination.

The importation problem (as I understand it), goes like this:
1. Speedometer is in kilometers instead of miles
2. Seat beats, air bags, etc. not quite the same as U.S. standards
3. ...the real killer: Emissions testing

Apparently, it is quite expensive to go through the process of certifying engine/transmissions/body style combinations in the U.S. If you don't go through this process, you can't register the vehicle; no license. Another part of this problem is that European diesel engine designs count on having Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) available to keep from poisoning the pollution controls with too much sulfur (Europe already has really low sulfur diesel).

We here in the U.S. are beginning to get ULSD phased in starting in 2006 and required everywhere by 2007. BP stations already sell ULSD. A few diesel Smart ForTwos have been brought in for demonstation and road testing but the EPA required them to prove that they had a source of ULSD during that entire time.

This is a highly discussed issue on "Fred's TDI Club" where people with VW diesels (TDIs) congregate. Here are a few threads from that forum:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=113670&highlight=Smart

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=88635&highlight=Smart

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=70995&highlight=Smart

This last thread is one of the meatiest to explore this issue.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been seing more and more of them on the roads up here. Pretty cool little cars and so many combinations with color and engines and stuff.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Those cars are pretty cool in town where parking space is critical ... they are maneouverable and in fact pretty convenient for two persons including shopping.
BUT ... they aren't exactly cheap.
bernie

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw Andy Rooney on 60 minutes drive one a few months back. He couldnt park it along the street, so since it is long as most cars are wide, he just backed it in.

I saw somewhere the smarts were 12-13 grand, isnt that rather cheap in the us car market maybe by mercedes? Cheapest car Ive seen new is a kia rio for 8270.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
in terms of safety they had some issues when they came out, but as far as I know those have been fixed (by adding an electronic stability system -- which you won't find in any other car in this price class)

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
mobile1 said:
in terms of safety they had some issues when they came out, but as far as I know those have been fixed (by adding an electronic stability system -- which you won't find in any other car in this price class)

You may be thinking of the Mercedes "A" class.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder if it too gets 70mpg? In my experience convertibles get way less as they beef up the frame to make up for a flexible roof. THe geo metro line from GM had a convertible, but it got the same milage as the tracker jeep thing.

Latest posts