Need help deciding Xmas gifts.. their first "quality LED's", story at end

Stu

Newly Enlightened
s, p, d & f orbitals.. somewhere in the Rockies
I know this is like asking ya'll to beat on the bare ground long after a horse has died and rotted away, but I admit to wanting some advice on some lights I haven't seen first-hand. I'm gonna splurge on some gift LED's for my brother, sister, mom, dad & wife.

My in-laws have teased me in a friendly way for several years about my interest in flashlights, and especially when I'm looking at the CPF forums. They are amazed that anyone would actually arrange flashlights on a table like "still art" and photograph them for others to see on the internet. Lately, though, I've heard passing comments amongst them about how "useful a small, good light might be." I gave my wife an ARC LSL a couple years ago and she put it in her purse. I wondered if she would actually use it and didn't see her get it out often... more on this in a bit. She told me the other day that some really nice gifts for family would be some good little lights like hers.

I'm leaning toward some Surefire's, maybe HDS also. I own an E2, G2 and an ARC LSH clicky (this one is my EDC, E2 also at night). From personal experience with these, I find the LSL output to be quite adequate for most all up-close to some medium-distance tasks. Occasionally I think I want more flood output "just because" and get curious about the L4 and L2. I also use an Infinity, Infinity Ultra or Dorcy AAA every night for moving around in the house. From a practical standpoint, I realize the ARC LSL output and the smaller lights meet most of my needs just fine. I looove flood and have the incans for distance needs.

But, for gifts.. it's hard to choose for others since I'm guessing about lights I haven't used.

The men have rather large hands and fingers, the ladies have the fairly typical "dainty" hands. For the ladies, I'm trying to decide among the EL1, L1 or HDS variants. I suppose the shorter lights are better handled and appreciated by the ladies, a likely advantage for the EL1 and HDS. The L1 is taller/longer but a low level is desirable for tasks where full bright isn't needed, like checking on kids, reading, etc. Longer runtime on high with the L1 is also somewhat appealing, plus I think it comes with a lanyard. I don't know if ladies' fingernails would interfere with the flatter switch on the HDS. I wonder if most women would be more interested in having the multiple light levels in the HDS, or prefer the simplicity of on/off of a good basic primary level as with the EL1 (I would get an F04 beamshaper also)?

My father has BIG hands, I wonder if the HDS is a bit too small for handy use for him. An L4 would be PLENTY bright (from what I read) but perhaps the E2L offers very good utility/handling for bigger hands. Ahh, maybe the L4 with the fabled McGizmo 2-stage switch, or the L2 (getting a bit big for easy pocket carry?). OK, any of these make sense:E2L, L4 with 2-stage switch, or the L2. He would need/want the PILA rechargeables for the L4. Same goes for my brother, all good choices, but can anyone argue for what you would prefer as their first such light?

Now about my wife and the ARC LSL. We live in southern Indiana very close to where the big tornado came through 2 weeks ago. I stayed up late that Saturday night after seeing bad weather expected on the news. Looking at CPF, of course. Eventually, the radio station said a tornado was crossing the river and would be in town in "5 minutes." This was about 2:45 am. I woke up my wife, got my man-purse ready and we went to the front porch. Power went out, pitch dark except for city lights in the distance. I saw a HUUUGE, HUUUGE funnel in the distance, and thought it may be just clouds, but the sides were angled down very straight, yet so wide on the ground I doubted at first it was a tornado as it also wasn't moving perceptibly. It eventually sort of blended into the mass of storm bank clouds rolling in behind it. The local emergency siren went off, then there were blue flashes on the ground on the horizon. No noise, little wind or rain. Then more and bigger blue flashes about a mile away. I knew something was tearing up powerlines. I got our son up, threw his clothes/shoes on and opened the back door to prepare for getting in the crawl space under the house. I came back up front and suddenly there was the noise, enormous and god-awful, churning with the sounds of apparently trees and house debris slamming around. We bolted out back and scraped ourselves almost face-first through the small brick opening to the crawl space. I had shoved my G2 into my sweat pants pocket, but I realized I was using the Dorcy AAA on a neck lanyard. It is pitch dark out back against the woods. I noticed a nice flood of light around me as we piled out of the house and into the small hole. Somehow my wife had gotten out her LSL and was using it to help us under the house. It made a difference. No way any of us could have gotten under in the time we did without some light. We got under there in less than 2 minutes from curiously watching the horizon on the porch to feeling inadequately huddled in the crawl space. We could hear it rumbling as it got nearer the whole time. It missed us less than a mile, but other people died nearby that night. We were unscathed, and thankful, but very sad for others not so fortunate. You never know when you will desperately need light, and how big a difference it might make in a matter of minutes, quite literally.

But, notice who was more prepared at that moment.. my wife!! I had several lights in my bag (including my LSL) and pants pocket but none of the big ones in hand with all the scooting and grabbing going on.
Sorry for the rambling, now open for suggestions!! Thanks in advance.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Re: Need help deciding Xmas gifts.. their first "quality LED's", story at end

I wud suggest that u start with the Fenix L1P, a whole lot of lite for not a lot of bucks. Buy them some Energizer L91 Li batts as spares from the money u saved. I find that newbies do not appreciate hi end lites like flashalics do. Mostly, they just want a small brite dependable lite. They wud not know how to appreciate the multi level all spot no sides lit. Its like the feeling of using the auto shift on a car for the 1st time, after 10 years of driving a manual shift. Just like I'm sure u got start in this affliction by buying a "mag" or higher end than those cheep wally thingie. Next year wud be the time for all the good stuff u mentioned.

Y

yourHDSguy

Stu,
You just made the case for the HDS bigger than life. You probably know the HDS represents the next several generations of the ARC and is made by the gentleman who designed the ARC. The HDS lights are brighter, smarter and have more options if you want them. You can happily have it on your person at all times and barely notice it's there. Several different ways to carry are available so you can be as prepared as your wife. Please check into the best Every Day Carry (EDC) flashlights available at any price.

greenLED

Flashaholic

If I may offer my humble advise, go with "common" batteries for your relatives. The Fenix L1P is a really nice light, and you can do the two-stage mod yourself.

The SF L4 is the light I would've given my dad.

Stu

Newly Enlightened

You guys are making sense, the Fenix L1P may be better appreciated simply on the common AA battery issue. My parents live out of state, and I do have a hard time envisioning them bothering to shop the internet for good prices on 123A lithium batteries to feed other high-end lights that require them. The 123A fueled lights may actually be a put-off to non-flashaholics, despite their appeal to "us." I don't have a soldering iron, but the 2-stage mod appears doable.

I may go with the Fenix L1P for my mom and sister in-law, since they are probably less interested in flashlights as cool gadgets.

My brother is an electrician. I still can't decide between an HDS or a Surefire L4 with rechargeable batteries (maybe with the 2-stage switch also) for him. I know he would appreciate either one but don't know which would be more utilized for his work. He already uses and likes a G2 nitrolon I gave him 2 years ago. I'm thinking HDS unless someone offers good reason to go with the L4 instead.

Dad has big hands, maybe the L4 with rechargeables is better only for that reason. My parents live in rural Iowa, I'm sure they could use a strong floody LED around the house and barn. I don't know if he cares a lot about low-level output. But dang, the HDS is hardly bigger than my ARC LSH and easily pocket-carried. He could have high output on demand. Plus, I understand there are supposed to be AA extensions for the HDS sometime in the near future?

I think I'll follow ppproducts' suggestion on the HDS.. for my wife, and me, too! I love my LSH, gotta have the HDS now.
I hope the primary level output is not too noticeably less than that of the plain LSH-S. Maybe it's not a big difference to the eye.

Last edited:

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened

And while you're buying gifts, how about one (or more) for the house using lithiums and to be clipped just inside that crawl space entrance?

Y

yourHDSguy

Stu,
The primary brightness on all, except the Basic 60LE, HDS lights is 10 lumens. If you get the Ultimate you can adjust it to any of 20 brightness levels. You can make it just how you want it!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gifts for non-flashaholics should use STANDARD batteries - AA, AAA, C, D, 9V. no 'funny' batteries that require a trip to the camera store or the internet.
Ladies like CUTE lights. No lumpy bits housing great big reflectors. Or tiny reflectors. They tend to walk off with SLEEK things like Inova T1s and AAA minimags.
Some people like to fiddle with things for maximum control. Others like simple - ON/OFF switch only please. Need to match flashlight complexity to people's personalities.

Suggest
Streamlight 4AA propolymer Luxeon for the big hands.
Fenix L1P for the dainty hands. Or one of the 9V lights -Pal-lite, Pak-lite, Rigel Systems. The Rigel Systems look the sleekest.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pallights are great gifts. Your friends will always use them and remember you because they are always on and the easiest to find. The half price deal makes it a real bargain.

Stu

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, I've never even thought about Pallights, don't know anything about them. How do you guys like 'em? They might be a stocking stuffer in addition to above suggested lights (for earthquake land, California, where my brother lives).

I happened to ask my family for Pak-Lites (the brighter, new "Super" ones and a red flasher model) when they asked me what I wanted. They seem like good low-output task lights, back up lights or whatever, small enough to be carried anywhere. I read the thread where Pak-Lites were used a lot by someone in a hurricane affected area. I might try the standard versions later if I like the "Super" ones. I'm curious about the $10 Pak-Lite headband.. I could fold that up and carry it in my go-everywhere bag for a compact, portable headlamp unit if it is fairly sturdy in holding the battery body. I think of these as novelties, mostly. But I do consider the Infinity AA variants as "must have" items. They are rugged, simple, and have handy lanyard attachments.
Someday I will get a serious headlight. The HDS looks interesting, not released quite yet I believe. Hands-free light availability is something I should think about more than I do. This must be thread-drift, and it's my own fault!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I haven't seen it lately, but around 1.5 years ago I gave my sister a choice of small lights like little Inovas, generic keychain and a Streamlight Keymate. She glommed on to the Streamlight like a fish to water.

I tried getting my Dad to carry a little Inova Radiant 2AAA, but he just put it in the door pocket of his truck. I can't get him to understand that YOU NEVER KNOW when you might need a light. He wont carry one.

I gave a couple lights to a Lady Friend of the family about a year ago, and her fave was a Dorcy 2AA 4LED. It was easier for her to operate than even a bigger brighter 4AA Craftsman I gave her.

It's VERY hard to guess how people will react.

I need to find that Keymate and see how the batteries are doing!

Stu

Newly Enlightened

After all the comments and posts I've read on the Fenix L1p, I'll be getting these for family. It sounds like the L1P is very bright with some spill, which is what I like about my LSH-S. I'm actually a little jealous of my wife's smoother low-dome beam on the LSL I gave her. I saw her LSL on the dresser the other night and picked it up. She snapped, "Hey, get back, don't mess with my light!" I never had to badger her, she is slowly developing subtle signs of flashaholism. I wonder when she'll want more lights, heh heh.

The common AA battery fuel for the L1P is just too irresistible. If the light is good enough for flashaholics, it surely must be for all else, though I realize it is not in the same class as some higher-end lights. If some of my family eventually become rabidly interested in greater flashlight performance, I can help them toward the 123A powered blasters later.

I can imagine whatever light I give them all will wind up getting dropped, banged, whatever. It would be a bummer if a bigger, high-dollar light got a damaged switch or bezel. That could happen with any light, but it sounds like the L1P is tough and a good choice as a starter luxeon LED. Still gonna get some HDS's, at least one for my wife.