how much weight can a modern 250cc motorcycle carry?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im thinking a geting a bike i cant afford nothing over a 250 im sure.the honda rebels look good for the price but can they carry a 150 lb rider and 50 lbs a stuff?also what kinda gas mialge would one get.i havent had a bike in years

marcspar

Enlightened
Raggie - I can take my daughter (65 lbs) and myself (220 lbs) on my Honda scooter with a 50 cc engine, so you should be fine.

Granted, I slow down to about 15 mph on steep hills.....

Marc

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few year back I used to go dirt bike riding with a friend, using his bikes. I was around 200 lbs back then (220 now), and the bike I was riding was a 250cc. Let me tell you, that bike didn't even know I was on it! I'm pretty sure a 250cc motor would easily carry a 400 pound man, no problem. I'm not sure about the gas milage, but I'm sure it is going to be *excellent*. My guess would be 60 or 70 mpg. I'm sure you can find the exact numbers online somewhere.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol darn 50 cc must be a strong little motor.do ya think a honda rebel 250cc can crusie at least 75 mph?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im going to ask my dad .he handles my money but i need trasptaion casue dr is so far away and so are stores.i see em new for 3100.im hoping to get one used with like 1000 miles on it for dirt cheap

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check with your dmv, you may need a motorcycle license to drive one. Id love a bike myself being a tall large person, I hate it that most cars my knees hit the dash, head the celling and my elbow hits the driver.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think most definitely you would need a motorcycle license. Are there any states where you only need a regular driver's license to drive a motorcycle?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in college a friend of mine had a 250cc single (kawasaki I think) and he gave me a ride into town for about a week when my car was in the shop. That bike had tons of torque. Even with two 190lb guys that bike would haul *** up and down the steep hills of Ithaca NY. (course we had to go easy on the brakes downhill. Whatever the model was it was known for slightly weak brakes).

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow the rebel looks like my best bet i also looked at the one they had on that site with a 125 cc wierd the rebel 250 got beter milage .and they say the rebel 250 uses a strong motor

turbodog

Flashaholic
You might look at the honda reflex. It's a 250cc scooter. I test drove one a few weeks ago, and it had _no_ problem getting up to about 85 before it topped out. It's got a lockable truck under the seat, and no shifting (I am assuming you've never driven anything before with a foot shifter and hand clutch). Expect gas mileage to be about 55-75. You can grab one off ebay for about $2500-$3500.

Most motorcycle crashes happen because people can't see a motorcycle very well from a front view. A scooter will help with this some because of the wide front view they have.

Google the "hurt report" about motorcycle crashes. It's *the* source for MC crash data.

Reflex.jpeg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
turbodog said:
You might look at the honda reflex. It's a 250cc scooter. I test drove one a few weeks ago, and it had _no_ problem getting up to about 85 before it topped out. It's got a lockable truck under the seat, and no shifting (I am assuming you've never driven anything before with a foot shifter and hand clutch). Expect gas mileage to be about 55-75. You can grab one off ebay for about $2500-$3500.

Most motorcycle crashes happen because people can't see a motorcycle very well from a front view. A scooter will help with this some because of the wide front view they have.

Google the "hurt report" about motorcycle crashes. It's *the* source for MC crash data.

Reflex.jpeg
that thing looks cool i do need a place to store stuff when i go grocery shoping,far as driven foot clutch before i used to own a old cb750 70 model.it was pretty easy but man that bike was a pece a garbage lol it was so old when i got it.im going to look up that scooter ya posted. i just looked at used bike prices here in ga.they almost cost used as much as they do new

turbodog

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
that thing looks cool i do need a place to store stuff when i go grocery shoping,far as driven foot clutch before i used to own a old cb750 70 model.it was pretty easy but man that bike was a pece a garbage lol it was so old when i got it.im going to look up that scooter ya posted. i just looked at used bike prices here in ga.they almost cost used as much as they do new

It drives really well. It's got a lockable storage under the seat AND a glove box (lockable) storage in the dash.

The brakes are balancing so it is easier to control during panic braking.

If gas goes back up to $3 I will buy one, but right now gas is down to $1.90 or so.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! $1.90! That's great! The cheapest I've seen it here in Los Angeles County is $2.35. You're giving me hope that it might still go lower.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said:
Do you need a motorcycle license to drive a scooter?

I can't answer that for everyplace, but in Washington DC, Maryland, and VA the answer is YES.

There used to be an exception for anything under 80 something CC's (they were considered "mopeds") but that went away a couple of years ago. As I understand it MD and non-city VA aren't too strict about it. DC is lazy about enforcing it but if you get caught the fines will rack up FAST.

turbodog

Flashaholic
geepondy said:
Do you need a motorcycle license to drive a scooter?

Different states have different laws, but USUALLY:

1. scooters with 49cc engines or less require just a regular drivers license. these units typically top out at 35-45 mph on flat roads

2. scooters over this (called maxi-scooters) required a separate motorcycle license or motorcycle endorsement on your normal license.

The honda reflex will hit 75-85 with no problem, and will outrun most any vehicle off the line as well. It's a 250cc model. Scooters have smaller tires. Smaller tires = less rotational mass. Less rotational mass = quick acceleration.

Honda also makes a 650cc scooter as well. I would be scared of it.

When I test drove a reflex it was not what I was expecting. At 85 it was less like a "wow this is fun" experience, and more like a "arghh, I'm gonna die, this is freakin fast" experience. But I think 85 on ANY 2 wheeled vehicle would be scary.

Don't get me wrong; I love speed. I have driven all sorts of sports cars to speeds in excess of 130 and 140 mph, but 2 wheels is a lot different than 4.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
turbodog said:
At 85 it was less like a "wow this is fun" experience, and more like a "arghh, I'm gonna die, this is freakin fast" experience. But I think 85 on ANY 2 wheeled vehicle would be scary.
Never mind 85, at 65 once on my Raleigh I was as white as a sheet.:drool: I might as well have been in the engineer's cab of a TGV running at 200 mph the way it felt. On two wheels with no body shell around you, it easily feels like 3 times the same speed in a car or a train. I've ridden with my brother at 120+ on Interstates and it didn't feel all that rushed, yet even the rare times I get my bike over 50 I'm thinking "Is this really such a good idea?". And of course that old adage comes to mind in these situations: "It isn't the speed that kills you but the sudden stop at the end."

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
One of the first times I rode a motorcycle I was at my friends house. I hopped on his 90cc dirt bike and thought I knew how to use it. Shifted into 1st and I was off down the street. It was all going fine until I wanted to change into 2nd gear. I changed up a gear with my foot, except I did not turn down the throttle! I was still at full throttle. I ended up doing a wheelie suddenly and I could not stop it. (Considering that I am over 200 pounds on a little 90cc bike is prett amazing)

needless to say, I did learn my lesson from that.

I agree that it seams soo much faster when you are on a bike. Even going ~40 on my mountain bike on a street seems too fast to me. But in a car that is nothing.