Videoconferencing, any suggestions?

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Little background first, as always with my posts.

A good friend of mine, who stayed here in the UK with me for a while, is now back in the States. We've used Skype a few times to talk, but have always meant to give videoconferencing a shot for face to face communication. I'd all but forgotten about it until it came up in conversation this evening.

(Which I also managed to make an idiot of myself having, by cross-posting a bit of it from the conversation I was having, into the wrong IRC window! Out of context like that, must have sounded downright dodgy. Talk about embarassing. Multitasking at 2AM, not good idea. Especially when multitasking between two visually identical windows).

Basic question is whether there is any specific hardware/software recommendations for this? I've breifly experimented with it before (albeit one way only), simply using Windows Media Encoder at one end, and Media Player at the other - which works just fine, though getting both video and audio is obviously impossible over dialup. Hoping that'll not be an issue for much longer though, as I will eventually cave and get broadband.

Obviously, this ain't going to actually happen until I get broadband, and even then is just a curiousity! There's just something that doesn't get old about the idea of being able to speak to someone who's several thousand miles away as though they're in the next room.