How much UV is absorbed by the glass lens in X1?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much UV is absorbed by the glass lens in the Inova X1? I want to stick a Nichia 5mm 365 nm LED in one in hopes the focused lens makes it easier to spot the security strip on a $100 bill. The security strip shows up faintly when I use the 365 nm LED in a coin cell light, but only when I hold the light right up against the bill. I want to be able to hold the light several inches away.

Would using the circuit out of a Dorcy AAA be better than the X1 circuit? I have both old and new Dorcy AAA's, but can't find the threads that explain the difference and which is better at driving a LED. :sigh:

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How UV absorbed by glass lens in X1?

only info I can tell you is that the newer dorcy's have a larger inductor and thus put out more current.

Only way to tell is to take the X1 and hold the lens in front and compare... I know some glass will glow from my FoxUv leds, and some plastics transmit it, while others glow and block it. I'm not sure the cut off wavelength of glass blocking UV...

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How UV absorbed by glass lens in X1?

:bump: in hopes that some has already tried it and can tell me. :)

I only have one Nichia 365nm LED so if I cut it super short to solder onto the X1 board and it doesn't work, I would no longer be able to use it in a coin cell light. :(

Are you saying the new Dorcy AAA board will drive the LED harder than the X1 board? I have no idea how hard ANY of these borads are driving the LEDs. 8\

Tythagoras

Newly Enlightened
I just finished modding my X1 with a 360nm FoxUV LED and the glass cut out almost all of the light. Pretty disappointing. It works splendidly with a 385nm LED, though. I am hoping to experiment further with the 360/365nm LEDs when I get an Xnova to play with.

- Jon

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm. Well there's your answer. Perhaps modify an arc or peak AAA light? That would be cool, and no lens to worry about!