Two Headed Flashlights?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like a two headed flashlight would be a reasonable way to combine the throw of an incan/HID with the economy of LEDs. Anybody built one of these? Results? Pics?

greenLED

Flashaholic
What bwaites said. In addition, you can choose between different LED colors, and you can run them on primaries or rechargeables.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Johnny 5 light is not much to look at, but it is a pretty good emergency light. It has 2 13w HID lights (one spot, the other flood). You can run either light singlely or both lights.

Batteries are 2x4.5 Ah 12v Li-Ion with LED charge level indicators. It will run for 4 to 4.5 hrs with both lights on or approx 9 hrs with only one light on.

If you want it to run FOREVER (how long will half a dozen 35K mcd LEDs run on a 12v 9 Ah battery), you could replace one of the HID lights with a led light, or just add a LED light. :ohgeez: I think I just gave myself my next mod - add LED light.

Here's some pics. The pics show the light with only one battery. I have since added a second battery to increase the run time.

J5-6.jpg

J5-5.jpg

J5-4.jpg

J5-3.jpg

J5-2.jpg

J5-1.jpg

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always thought it woudl be cool to have a light with 2 heads, one with 3xLuxIII like the "little friend" from elektrolumens for a nice flood of lots of lumens, and on the other end a head about the same size only with a single large reflector and a single luxeon for throw.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I did this one over 10 years ago and went from 7 Panasonic blue LEDs in the tail to the 4 Nichias shortly after joining CPF. The LED end uses the SF P91 in series when on. The lanyard attach can be slid to permit either end to point downwards. It was my main camping light for many years. :) (Sorry the pic is a little wide. :( )
site1101.jpg

Larry

jtice

Flashaholic
JimH,

That is SWEEEEEEEEETTTTT :rock:

I have been looking at those HIDs for a few days now,
they seem really nice, and I have also wanted to make a light very similar to what you made.

Hows the warmup time on them?

~John