Pistol Lights

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Glock Model 22 http://www.glock.com/g22.htm now, but it does not have mounting rails. I am thinnking of getting a newer one with mounting rails. If I do, I will need a pistol light. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is one pretty much just like another, or are some better than others? I know about the Streamlight M-6 http://www.streamlight.com/m6_information.htm the Glock Tactical Weapon Light http://allglock.com/viewcategory.aspx?idcat=76&sm=0_10 and Surefire http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/259/prrfnbr/1112 are there any other weapon lights that I should consider?

UVvis

Enlightened
To throw another option in there: consider the X200B. it is smaller than the others, and takes recoil better.

bumpus

Newly Enlightened
I agree with UVvis. I have a Glock 19 with an X200B and it's a nice light. It is LED, so if you're looking for incan, this isn't what you want. For some reason, it won't show up when you do a weapon light search on Surefire.com. But it will fit the rails. Take a look: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr=6&prrfnbr=24283&sesent=0,0 Plus

Plus like UV said, it's smaller than the other lights. I've also heard that the Glock brand light isn't quite as good.

Good luck in your search!

CLHC

Flashaholic
My brother has and carries Gastons<——[don't know why he went with these, I have strong opinions contrary-wise] and has tried a number of manufactures' weapon's lighting systems. The one that he prefers and swears by are the ones built exclusively by SureFire, while the "others" he states, doesn't work as well as they should, especially for the line of work that he's in—putting himself in harms way. He swears that SureFire has never let him down.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
221016C_2.jpg

another model
22100_1.jpg

laser devices, interchangeable heads. better than insight(streamlight) and yet not much more money

spock

Enlightened
jas, have the same problem you do. i own glock 22 w/o mounting rails. have already bought surefire x200a. this model has a narrow beam with great throw. there is a x200b with more more sidespill and less throw. my light is small, lightweight, and durable. the aluminum case holds the led powered by 2 123a lithium batteries. it is regulated for about 1 hour of full brightness. looked at other lights, including glock, but did not like the artifacts in the beam. there are other sf weapon lights w/o led. looked at many pistols, but have decided to buy another glock 22 with rails. this will give 4 magazines that interchange and each pistol will fit my existing holsters(minus light). blackhawk serpa carbonfiber holster is great. on insertation, the pistol is "locked" in, and released with large "button". you can also buy the holster with "friction" lock. i have both. if there is a gun show near you, you may be able to look at a variety of lights. a good gun deserves a good light.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't happy with the options on the market (too long for my use) so I am building my own in a 2 x CR2 side x side format. Not sure if it will end up being better or not, but it has been a good learning experience, and I added some features missing on commercial models (variable brightness, and a secondary red led). I have an optic setup for flood or tighter beam, but really have not decided which is better yet.

Last edited:

Luxman

Enlightened
I have the X200A and like it very much. I think it is a very good compromise between throw and spot size. If the X200B has more spill, that may be a good thing for target area analysis. I much prefer an LED to an Incan for the dependability factor.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarryN said:
I wasn't happy with the options on the market (too long for my use) so I am building my own in a 2 x CR2 side x side format. Not sure if it will end up being better or not, but it has been a good learning experience, and I added some features missing on commercial models (variable brightness, and a secondary red led). I have an optic setup for flood or tighter beam, but really have not decided which is better yet.

Harry,

I've been kicking around the idea of making my own as well. That'd be cool if you posted pics/description of your weaponlight buildup.

Glock offers a factory program of some kind to swap out a plain frame for a rail-equipped. I'm not certain of the price. Last I heard, somewhere around $160.

For anyone considering the BH Serpa holster, there's been some buzz about non-intentional discharge from the index finger slipping into the triggerguard after pressing the release button under a stress-induced draw. Might want to read up on it so you can make an informed decision - just throwing that out there. Be safe :)

Last edited:

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
I'd suggest the SureFire X200B. I have tested the X200A and the only thing I did not like about it, was the very small corona (almost non-existing). IMO, you need to see exacly, what you put at gunpoint and if it is a threat to you or fellow officers/your family (or whoever is with you). X200B offers the "wall of light" like the KL4 does. For a typical defence situation, it reaches out far enought while provding an excellent overview of the situation.

Holger

UVvis

Enlightened
Seems that many folk here agree with me that the X200B is a great pistol light. I much prefer the B over the A for the X200 models. I've heard people say that the A model works as a generic sight, put the diamond on something and fire. never really tried it myself.

Not to get off topic, but I hear that Night-Ops is working on a pistol light as well. That has me excited.

Spock, Get some more magazines, especially now while they are running 15-17 dollars each!!!! PM me and I'll tell you were to get them if you haven't picked any more up yet.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
sween1911 said:
Harry,

I've been kicking around the idea of making my own as well. That'd be cool if you posted pics/description of your weaponlight buildup.

Glock offers a factory program of some kind to swap out a plain frame for a rail-equipped. I'm not certain of the price. Last I heard, somewhere around $160.

For anyone considering the BH Serpa holster, there's been some buzz about non-intentional discharge from the index finger slipping into the triggerguard after pressing the release button under a stress-induced draw. Might want to read up on it so you can make an informed decision - just throwing that out there. Be safe :)

Hi Sween - The basis for the light is the 2 x CR2 light I have posted in the home made section. It just needs the rails added, and a few other finishing touches to make it work. I am building up some Xmas present versions for pocket carry only, and will start on the mods for the rail version in Jan / Feb. Optically, it can be either like the X200A or B, depending on how I set it up.

For this application, my main goal was to keep it very short and narrow so that it does not protrude - especially useful for a backup application. There are tradeoffs in everything, and quick detach is a possible victim. Still working on that.

Harry