Nuwai versus surefire

ddemon440

Newly Enlightened
If you had to pic between the nuwaii Q III an a surefire E2E or C2 for everyday carry what would it be. I know this may be a "fair" comparison as these lights aren't the same size and what not but these are the ones i'm trying to pick between.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't that something like picking between a Toyota and a Lexus? Depends on how much money you have to spend on it. (Personally, I'm in the Toyota tax bracket..)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the QIII.
1. Because of the price.
2. If you loose it you won't be heartbroken.
3. It's nice to carry in the belt pouch.
4. Price, did I say that already. :)
5. Great flood output with a soft hotspot.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2e, E2L or E1L will be probably more reliable;their finishes and glass lenses won't become seriously scratched. The SFs out throw the Q3, if that's of any help. I do like the Q3's semi flood beam for close up work but the lens is junk and the finish is wearing through.

My Q3 became intermittant after some hits on a concrete floor. My E1L sat under water for two weeks with not a trace of moisture inside or damage to the HAIII exterior. It, too, suffered numerous hard impacts, yet still works like new.

SureFires have a nice clickie and lock out switch which the Q3 lacks. In this case, you get what you pay for. At one time you couldn't get me to spring for the extra $$$ that SureFire commanded. Now, however, I'm glad I took the advice of other CPF members and bought an E2e & E1L.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't replace the Q3 if lost or damaged, although I liked it at first. Others with time on their hands appreciate it as a good mod-bod.

ddemon440

Newly Enlightened
I know its a toyota versus lexus comparison, but while the lexus may be more luxurious it may not be as reliable as the toyota, and thats kinda what my question was getting at. If the price difference was based on reliabilaty or just luxury.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
ddemon440 said:
I know its a toyota versus lexus comparison, but while the lexus may be more luxurious it may not be as reliable as the toyota, and thats kinda what my question was getting at. If the price difference was based on reliabilaty or just luxury.[/QUOTE

While I do love the Surefire lights and I have bought one for an Navy buddy I would rather have 1 QIII, 1 Gerber Infinity, and 1 AAA kechain light all for less than either one of the Sufefires that you listed. This is just my opinion.

The Q3 is a great light for the price anyway you look at it. And before someone else chimes in, so is the Fenix light even though I don't own one. :)

metalhed

Enlightened
Well, the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".

Unfortunately, if a light is lost or stolen, somebody else gets "what you pay for".

To my mind, it's a matter of how careful (and lucky) you are. I rarely lose anything, and haven't had a theft loss of any kind in years...yet I'm still more comfortable EDC'ing my QIII than I would my Z2. Just a matter of personal preference I guess.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
>>"Isn't that something like picking between a Toyota and a Lexus?"

>>"I know its a toyota versus lexus comparison,"

Seeing how Toyota makes Lexus vehicles (as well placing the Toyota name on numerous parts under the hood, in the drivetrain, and on the chassis), and that SureFire produce nothing for Nuwaii (or visa versa), I'd have to say that this is more of a Lexus versus Hyundai comparison.

As to which light I would choose, I'm taking the SureFire handsdown. :)

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I agree that the Hyundai - Lexus comparison is more like it. There isnt much difference in reliability between a Toyota and a Lexus. While I have a QIII and it is a nice light, it is very clear that it is not the same quality in terms of fit/finish, heaviness of metal and overall quality. Again, the QIII is nice but clearly not in the same class as a Surefire in quality. Another suggestion is a Surefire E1L, an FO4 beamshaper and if you want to add it, a two stage tailcap. Makes a fantastic EDC in my opinion.

ddemon440

Newly Enlightened
Lexus may be a division of toyota but you would see me driving a YOTA before i would drive a lexus.

The more "luxuries" you put on something, the more crap you have to break down the line.

zapper

Enlightened
Depends on the use. Recreational , non-critical or job related, use that you don't mind if it gets lost for cheap easy replacement then QIII all the way. Otherwise 365 day reliability under extreme conditions then SF. Usually if a SF is bad, it is right out of the box and you turn it in for replacement. I would say it's more like a $1.00 store tool set and a NASA grade screwdriver.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Let me wear my devil's advocate hat for a bit:

What are you going to use the light for?
How large a light are you willing EDC (assuming pocket EDC vs a bag)?
You're comparing LED vs Incan here. See my first question to determine what's best for you.
Do you want to use rechargeables?
How much money do you want to spend on your new light?

I've never quite liked the Qiii. Don't get me wrong, it's one of those "proven favorites" on CPF. It just doesn't "click" with me. On the other hand, the C2 has that "something"... I keep eyeing it every time I go to the SF website.

And regardless of what I keep telling myself, I know I'll eventually get an e2e (+ the LED heads for it).

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Ddemon440, welcome to CPF.

Your question strikes me a bit like an apprentice carpenter asking his mentor: "Which tool should I get?" Or, more specifically, "Which HAMMER should I get? The Tack-Hammer? The Ballpeen Hammer? Or, one of those neat mini Sledge-Hammers?"

A wise mentor would reply: "Well, what do you want it to DO?" (And, a true Flashaholic mentor would urge: "Get all three!").

-->> Customers don't buy quarter-inch drills just because they like 1/4" drills. They buy 'em because they want 1/4" holes.

The 3 lights you mentioned are all "good," but their performance differences (brightness, beamshape, runtime) are quite different. Beyond that, your lifestyle and clothing issues determine which one you'll find best suited for casual carry. For example, if you're a Beverly Hills hair stylist who wears skin-tight lime-green leather pants with miniature pockets barely suitable for stashing a condom, I don't think you'll find that Surefire C2 real comfortable to pack.

Lights, even little EDC lights, are tools, just like their big brothers.

-->> So, what size "holes" do you want your EDC light to "drill?"

The answer to that question will determine which light best fits your needs. The NEED determines the best tool.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
ddemon440 said:
Lexus may be a division of toyota but you would see me driving a YOTA before i would drive a lexus.

The more "luxuries" you put on something, the more crap you have to break down the line.

That simply isnt true in the case of Lexus or for that matter Surefire. I think the reliability statistics for the last 20 years or so would prove that isnt the case with Lexus. It also isnt the case with Surefire based on the experience of people here. The difference with Surefire and Nuwai is better quality parts and materials, better QC on the manufacture, probably an overall more robust design although in the case of some of their lights, the A2 comes to mind, a much more complex design.

As someone posted above, the lights you mentioned are really different apart from the quality issues. The real question I think should be what will you be using it for?

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
TonkinWarrior said:
For example, if you're a Beverly Hills hair stylist who wears skin-tight lime-green leather pants with miniature pockets barely suitable for stashing a condom, I don't think you'll find that Surefire C2 real comfortable to pack.

I am more than a little curious about what type light you would recommend as an EDC for a person such as this? ;)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
So ddemon440, are we helping?

Maybe another answer is (the classic) "buy them both". If you can't afford to buy them both but have enough for the Surefire, buy the Surefire. If you can't afford the Surefire, then get the Nuwai.